What am I doing wrong?

Options
Christi102012
Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
I'm on week 4 of C25K (distance) with the goal of running a 5k on July 21. Monday I had a great run. I was able to complete all of the run intervals. Wednesday was okay. I got part way through the 2nd 1/4 mile run and was just so hot I couldn't run anymore. Today...I'm completely discouraged. I ran the first 1/4 mile interval at a much slower pace than I've been doing and only got about halfway through the 1st 1/2 mile interval when I had to slow to a walk. My muscles are tight and sore. Before each run I stretch for about 5 mintues and each run starts with a 5 minute warm up walk. Today that didn't seem to matter. My muscles seemed nice and loose until about halfway into the 1/4 run interval and then they seemed to tighten up and started hurting. It wasnt unil the last half of the second 1/2 mile interval that they seemed to have loosened up some.

If it matters I run on a paved bike path and wear Saucony running shoes that I got fitted for at a running store. I'd like to continue to run on the paved surface since the 5K is going to be on streets.

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated. I'm still going to do the 5K either way and it's not timed so I don't have to run but I'd really like to be able to run the whole thing.

Replies

• beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    bump
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    How's your diet and water consumption? Muscles often cramp and/or spasm when they are dehydrated. Also... I know you know this already, but from my experience, it takes about a mile for my body to find a comfortable running rhythm.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    "Before each run I stretch for about 5 mintues"

I promise I'm trying to be helpful, but stretching *prior* to exercise has been shown to be useless at best and potentially harmful.

Sources:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-04-15-stretching-muscles_N.htm
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071358/
  • Christi102012
    Options
    "Before each run I stretch for about 5 mintues"

I promise I'm trying to be helpful, but stretching *prior* to exercise has been shown to be useless at best and potentially harmful.

Sources:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2010-04-15-stretching-muscles_N.htm
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1071358/

My original post was copied/pasted from another forum I'm on. They said pretty much the same thing. I'm going to start switching my warm up walk and stretching. I'll start with the walk, then stretch then start the first run interval.

As for water, I've gone from drinking all pop/soda to all water. I'm not getting the 8 cups but I've pretty much cut out all pop. I'm using the water consumption tool on here and have been averaging 3-3.5 cups a day. I carry a sport water bottle with me when I run so I can hydrate during the run as needed.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    As for water, I've gone from drinking all pop/soda to all water. I'm not getting the 8 cups but I've pretty much cut out all pop. I'm using the water consumption tool on here and have been averaging 3-3.5 cups a day. I carry a sport water bottle with me when I run so I can hydrate during the run as needed.

I don't mean to be offensive... But cutting out pop/soda really doesn't have anything to do with it. 3 cups (24oz) a day of water is way too little water for a person who is active and expecting their muscles to behave well. Hydrating DURING a run is unnecessary compared to being well-hydrated BEFORE you run. I make sure I have been drinking water throughout the day before I run, and I don't drink water during the run at all. Honestly, if you feel the need to drink any water during only 20-30 minutes of running, it definitely means you are too dehydrated.

If you are drinking most of your daily water while you are running, and you're not properly hydrated beforehand, this is why your muscles are failing you by the third day into your week.
  • opus649
    Options

I don't mean to be offensive... But cutting out pop/soda really doesn't have anything to do with it. 3 cups (24oz) a day of water is way too little water for a person who is active and expecting their muscles to behave well. Hydrating DURING a run is unnecessary compared to being well-hydrated BEFORE you run. I make sure I have been drinking water throughout the day before I run, and I don't drink water during the run at all. Honestly, if you feel the need to drink any water during only 20-30 minutes of running, it definitely means you are too dehydrated.

If you are drinking most of your daily water while you are running, and you're not properly hydrated beforehand, this is why your muscles are failing you by the third day into your week.

Actually, pop hydrates you just as much as water - even caffeinated sodas:

Sources:

http://www.foodinsight.org/Press-Release/Detail.aspx?topic=Health_Hints_Beverages_Containing_Caffeine_Offer_Hydration
    http://www.snopes.com/medical/myths/8glasses.asp
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • Christi102012
    Options
    Considering I have gone from drinking almost exclusively pop to all water, that's pretty big for me. I don't even like the taste of plain water. Criticize me if you want but ever since that Mio stuff came out I drink more water. I know I'm not getting enough but I'm getting 100% more water than I was before. I also read somewhere else on the C25K boards to "hydrate to thirst" during a workout. I am trying to increase my water intake but it's like forcing yourself to eat or drink something when you're not hungry/thirsty.
  • opus649
    Options
    I know I'm not getting enough...

Based on what?
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Considering I have gone from drinking almost exclusively pop to all water, that's pretty big for me. I don't even like the taste of plain water. Criticize me if you want but ever since that Mio stuff came out I drink more water. I know I'm not getting enough but I'm getting 100% more water than I was before. I also read somewhere else on the C25K boards to "hydrate to thirst" during a workout. I am trying to increase my water intake but it's like forcing yourself to eat or drink something when you're not hungry/thirsty.

You can drink Mio if you want... I mean honestly when the title of your post is "what am I doing wrong?" then there's no need for phrases like "criticise me if you want..."

I'm not saying that not drinking pop isn't a success, but what exactly you're drinking isn't relevant to this particular issue. You stopped drinking pop - So in that case, your OVERALL LIQUID consumption (opus649, if you want to read this part) is very low at only 3 cups a day. Yes all liquid hydrates your body, but you're getting even less liquid now than you did before.

I am positive that your lack of water (or liquid, but I'm going to say "water" because essentially that's the part you need) is contributing to muscle seizure. Would it really hurt to try one week where you actually drink six glasses of water a day? I'm not even saying you need eight, some people don't. Just try six.
  • opus649
    Options
    (opus649, if you want to read this part)

But 3 cups a day isn't necessarily low. We get the vast majority of the hydration we need from food.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    But 3 cups a day isn't necessarily low. We get the vast majority of the hydration we need from food.

It's very low for most people, especially those who are active. If you think drinking more water isn't worth a try, then maybe you should give some constructive input yourself, rather than just knocking down suggestions like you do all over these boards.
  • mostaverage
    mostaverage Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I'll chip in here with advice based on personal experience rather than any formal knowledge or training. I'm new to running, graduated C25K a couple of months ago and just finished B210K, so I have relatively little experience compared to the big milers in here.
    Hydration makes a big difference - too little fluids prior to a run leaves me with headaches, muscle aches, congestion and an overall bad head. Too much fluid - well, sometimes you just have to pop in to a local supermarket or fast food place to check the quality of their loos.
    Being well fuelled - If im running in the morning then I'll have my porridge an hour before I go, later in the day then a light meal, primarily carbs, at least an hour before. Bananas don't work for me & neither did peanut butter with an hour before a run.
    Rest - Being sufficiently rested before heading out - Iv'e played an hour of soccer a tt 9pm and then gone out for a run at 7am the next morning - it was hellish as mt legs hadn't recovered enough - make sure you are rested enough between runs, particularly when you are starting out when the risk of injury is greater.
    Stretching/warmup/cooldown - Static stretching before running, it is currently believed, shortens the muscle fibres and ultimately impedes your development. Dynamic stretching however helps warm up the muscles and is beneficial (these rules are prone to change almost on an annual basis, it would seem to me) - So I do side leg swings, front leg swings, hip rotations , heel kicks and when I'm feeling particularly frisky some lunges followed by a very brisk walk as my warmup routine. I cool down at the other end by staggering wildly across the path while swearing in a very raspy gaspy voice. Once I can move properly again I do all the static stretches for the muscles I've used, including stretches for my ageing back. I then drink more water to rehydrate and have some fruit when I get home.
    Again, I'm no pro nor am I trained or qualified - these are just my routines that I have found have worked best for me over the past2-3 months.
    HTH
    Cheers
    Andy
  • opus649
    Options

It's very low for most people, especially those who are active. If you think drinking more water isn't worth a try, then maybe you should give some constructive input yourself, rather than just knocking down suggestions like you do all over these boards.

*sigh* Ok. Who was the one that provided links to actual information rather than just repeat the same old debunked theory? Right, the one is is only here to "knock down suggestions." Get a life.
  • Christi102012
    Options
    Secretlobster-
    I'm not incredibly active. I'm on my feet at work but my overall activity level is only slightly active. Over all liquid intake is probably about the same as it was when I was drinking all pop. I could nurse a 20oz of Mt Dew all day. Some days I would get more. The most active thing I do is my runs. I titled this thread as "What am I doing wrong" mostly because I saw myself as sliding backwards rather than progressing.

I respect the message you're trying to get across but starting out with "I don't mean to be offensive" actually had the opposite effect. It put me on guard and before I read anything you said I was in a defensive frame of mind.

I apologize for anything I may have said. Based on your first response I had presumed you would criticize the fact that to get any water I had to add something to it.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Onto something other than water...

I'm no expert, as I'm doing the program myself. But as someone who has done C25K about 5 times, perhaps I do have some expertise to share from my many experiences of being "a beginning runner!"

Which is to suggest that maybe you're not doing anything wrong. Sometimes you just have a bad day. Especially with the weather changing (more humid, slightly warmer), it could just be that your body couldn't find its footing. If I read your post correctly, you had *one bad run.* An n=1 is suggestive, but hardly conclusive. You could consider taking an extra day off from running (feel free to do something else...not suggesting you need to laze about.) Sometimes, all I need is a little additional time to recuperate to get back on track.

Just to reiterate, one bad run doesn't necessarily mean the beginning of a trend. Perhaps there is some complicated reason for the bad run (water, your diet, humidity, hormones, a virus) ...but if it resolves itself within 24 hours, there's no need to wrack your brain trying to figure it out. If it keeps happening, then you'll have more data to help you figure out what might be causing the problem.

But one bad run? Could be anything, but its probably nothing.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I lift 3x/week so it might have something to do with the tightness in my calves. I hydrate well before I go out. Before noon, I'll already have had 6-8 cups of water. By 5pm I'll already have had 8-10. Even with proper hydration, I'll still have issues. What I have found is that it takes me 10-15 minutes of walking briskly to feel tightness. Then I stretch. Then I continue and feel fine. That's from my own personal experience.
  • opus649
    Options
    Sometimes you just have a bad day. Especially with the weather changing (more humid, slightly warmer), it could just be that your body couldn't find its footing. If I read your post correctly, you had *one bad run.* An n=1 is suggestive, but hardly conclusive. You could consider taking an extra day off from running (feel free to do something else...not suggesting you need to laze about.) Sometimes, all I need is a little additional time to recuperate to get back on track.

I agree with this 100%. I just finished C25K a week ago and I definitely experienced ups and downs, especially towards the beginning. Even this week, I ran on Thursday and Friday and ran at a significantly better pace on Thursday. I have no idea why... maybe I didn't eat enough on Friday, maybe I was tired, maybe my mind was on other things...

Just don't give up!!