Very interesting article about Reverse T3

tecallahan
tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
Folks -- I see my ND on Thursday and will ask him if this is correct -- but if it is, it completely explains why so many women have hypo symptoms with a normal TSH - and maybe even a normal T3/T4! It's fascinating to me to read how the Adrenals, Thyroid, Liver, etc. all work together and how a small missing piece is the answer to symptoms.

This doctor proposes that when you have large amounts of cortisol, it inhibits the conversion of T4 to T3 and causes production of more RT3. If this stress-related condition goes on long enough, he calls it Reverse T3 Dominance -- meaning that even when the cortisol gets under control, you sill produce too much RT3 and block the conversion and absorption of T3. Thus - hypo symptoms.

http://www.medical-library.net/reverse_t3_dominance_syndrome.html

This makes sense to me, but want to ask my ND if it's true.

Terri

Replies

• moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Thanks for posting. I have often wondered if I had Wilsons. I have a very low body temperature, 97.2 at best. If I am 99.0 I feel very ill. I did my ration and I am at 23.6 so, it doesn't sound as if my RT3 is out of control kind of a relief.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Yep - my temp is usually between 96-97 degrees also. I had high RT3 back in January, but we got rid of it by the end of March. I just was tested for it again and will know the results on Thursday.

I was thinking of all the people who are told their levels are normal and can't get hypo treatment -- that this could be RT3.

Terri