Fat2Fit Military Body Fat Calc

fiveohmike
fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
Hey Guys,

Let me know if this seems right to you ....based on their calcs:

My Body Fat is 29.8% and I have 202.5lbs of lean mass on me.'

I have a feeling this is right, cause when I was 310 I did NOT look like any of the other people I know who were 275-300...they all were bigger/fatter than me.

What say you?

Replies

• jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Sorry no idea! When I use that calculator it gives me a higher number than my body fat scales (over 40%)

I may re-do it though as I have lost measurements from my below belly-button measurement, but thats the other thing - you have to measure in the right place and the same place each time...

I try to stick with one calculator though for consistency even if not 100% accurate, still haven't paid out for calipers as read mixed reviews for them as well :huh:
  • fiveohmike
    I am just wondering at this point as If I use the Scooby Cal, but with the Katch McArdle (requires you know your Body Fat), the numbers about 200 calories down from where I am now.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    I am just wondering at this point as If I use the Scooby Cal, but with the Katch McArdle (requires you know your Body Fat), the numbers about 200 calories down from where I am now.

Mike you know that's how I get my cut #'s because I can't afford to get my BF% testing by a professional place. So I feel this as close as I can get without dropping some serious cash right now. But as soon as I can free up some greenbacks then I will go get tested.

It's working for me, but as they say YMMV!!!! Sorry I'm not much help, so hopefully Lucia or Kiki can give ya a better answer.

Anita
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Don't get me wrong I love the fat2fit calculators. I have been eating at my goal-weight maintainence using the fat2fit bmr calculator based on my body fat since 2nd April.

It is working well for me - I eat the same calories everyday and I don't feel hungry on non-workout days like I used to.

The main reason I decided to try this way is because all the different calculators and numbers stressed me out so much!!! I just kept checking and double checking, trying every calculator out there, this and the hunger issues.

For me it was a lot more than I had been eating and at only 5 ft I nearly gave up then suddenly started seeing the scales drop - I have around 30lb to lose which is a fair amount when your a shortie & 40% bf : )
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    I did it and I'm HOPING it was waaaaayyyyy off. It said I was 32.3% BF! The highest I've ever seen with calipers/electronic thing was 24%. 21-20% some days on my scale.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    I have no idea... I just did mine and it says Im 51% fat and im 236 pounds...
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    My bf is 23% with calipers done by my trainer, that site too had me at about 33% like graysmom. I think if you can get someone to help you with calipers it would be the way to go. Personally I don't know how you can measure fat with a tape measure.
  • fiveohmike
    Well I got home today, with my fancy new scale.

I tested it and it said I was 45.9% body fat.

I had a buddy test on it, and it said he was 17.5% body fat, which was within .4% of what he measured under calipers.

You think I should trust it?
  • fiveohmike
    Ok I am seriously about to have a freak out session.

So armed with my new bodyfat percentage, I plugged it into Katch-McCardle on the Scooby.

So with a 45.9% BF my numbers are:

BMR 1899
    TDEE - 2944
    TDEE -15% - 2502
    TDEE - 20% - 2355

Now I know for extremely overweight people that the Harris Benedict has shortcomings so I am worried about that

Using the Harris-Benedict method I get:

BMR 2514
    TDEE - 3894
    TDEE - 20% - 3114

So now I am not dealing with a couple of hundred calorie difference...its 750.

Lucia/Kiki or anyone please chime in before I freak out lol
  • fiveohmike
    And going off 45% body fat that would put me:

190lbs at 11% body fat. When I was in my prime thats almost exactly what is was.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    that site has me at 33% as well.... :huh:

hold on, let me go see what my scale says....lol
  • fiveohmike
    that site has me at 33% as well.... :huh:

hold on, let me go see what my scale says....lol

I should move the thread, now I am measuring off my scale lol. I bought one, and tested it on a buddy...it was super accurate for him, compared to his calipers.

My scale has me at 45.9%
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    I remember this discussion once before and that that Military version is more accurate for men.
    The covert bailey (sp?) is more accurate for women :)
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    I used both Military and Covert. I also had my BF% measured by calipers last Sat.
    Military was about 1% higher and Covert was almost spot on.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Military: 36.7%
    Cover: 27%
    Scale: 31.9%

What????
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member

What????
    The average of the 2 = your scale!!
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member

What????
    The average of the 2 = your scale!!

How cool is that. I think I will stick with scale.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    My scale comes out higher than any other method by quite a bit. A few months ago I used a handheld one, the scale and the military on the same day.

Military was something like 26%
    Handheld was like 32%
    Scale was 36%

For the most part my scale has said 34-36% even when I lose weight, lose inches, and can visually see more muscle. Recently it dropped to 32-35% but my measurements have barely budged. I haven't tried the handheld one again. Will do so next week.

Anyway, my point being, I don't really trust the scale for BF not just because I don't like the number but because it isn't very logical that I can lose fat and gain muscle but my BF stays the same or goes up.

I just use a number that is between my highest and lowest readings and figure its close enough.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    My Tanita scale has me at 36%....I have been that since I started the journey...lol. so I know my scale is crazy. I bought a hand held and it say from 23-24% and iit says to ck 3hrs after getting up and eating...shucks I have long forgotten by the 3hr mark. So I just try it first thing in the morning but I hear that isn't accurate. I have tried at night then not sure if I've had too much water, not enough water...who knows. It was about 24.something. I would love to lose some more visible fat and just watch the mirror. I just refuse to stress about any of it anymore:wink: