Do anyone eat fruit and which ones do you recommend?

Options
ebonyroche
ebonyroche Posts: 673 Member
I love fruit and I would like to think I can incorporate them into my diet. Thanks for the input!

Replies

• sansouchi1050
    sansouchi1050 Posts: 137
    Options
    here is a link on the carb counts of fruits.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/fruitcarbprofiles/Carbohydrates_in_Fruit_Carbs_Calories_Health_Benefits_of_Fruit.htm

I'm trying to stick to around 20-30 carbs a day. I really don't have a lot of room to have much fruit. I occasionally have a 1/4-1/2 strawberries mixed with greek yogurt.

I think it may depend on how your body tolerates the sugar in the fruit. I just don't do well with them and I found I would rather have my carbs in a tomato salsa or sauce than a tiny serving of fruit.
  • Linda860
    Linda860 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Berries are a good bet -- strawberries and blackberries are a lunch staple for me. Sometimes I'll have a half a fuji apple on a splurge day. Apricots are OK. But lots of fruits are on the no list unfortunately.
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    BERRIES!!! I like to get say 1 raspberry on a fork and scoop it through heavy whipped cream. Very satisfying without eating too many. You must have fat with any fruit! if you are in induction, try to stay away :(
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I eat berries and bananas fine on a regular basis (but I'm not on atkins). Apples leave me starving 45 minutes later (even with a decent bacon and eggs breakfast with it!). Try incorporating them slowly, and only one a day to see how you react, would be my advice. Oh, and technically tomatoes and avocados are fruits, and I eat them all the time too!
  • Chood5
    Chood5 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    My favorite is eating blackberries with a fork and dipping them in heavy cream!
  • BCsurvivor1962
    BCsurvivor1962 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Not too sure about the fruit but if anyone is looking for a great tasting low carb yogurt, head to Kroger. They make a wonderful low carb yogurt (If I remember correctly about 4grams per container) and I eat it for breakfast and freeze it for an "ice cream" treat!

I don't have a container with me at work today to give all the details but if you have a Kroger, it is well worth the trip to get some. Ours here are 10 for $4.00. So not that expensive either.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm excited for berry season! So far on my week (almost) doing low carb again I haven't really had any fruit (two small slices of apple in a packaged chicken salad from TJ's). In the Dana Carpender book I just read that summarizes various low carb plans, most of them seemed to recommend berries, cantaloupe, and honeydew melon. Now I'm curious how much sugar watermelon has, since I never noticed that mentioned!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options

OH MY GAWD TALK DIRTY TO ME! LOL!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    ****composes herself...

I can only consume berries and no more than 1 svg per day. So I freeze them, and use them when I make my protein smoothies for after my workouts in the morning...

I had a Chocolate-black raspberry protein smoothie this morning.. OH MY GAWD, it was delish!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options

OH MY GAWD TALK DIRTY TO ME! LOL!

oh me too!
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Berries are where it's at!

I get strawberries 3-4 lbs at a time. I I cut them up and rinse them with 1/4c water + 1 tbs apple cider vinegar. Then I sprinkle Splenda on them and store them in the fridge. They last about a week, maybe 2. They don't go bad in that time. I use them in smoothies every day and sometimes when I'm feeling "naughty" I just eat them out of the container. Nom nom nom!

I can't wait for berry season tho. I'm going to buy out the farmer's market. I LOVE blueberries so much!

For a super awesome treat I heat up some cream cheese in the micro for a few seconds then add Splenda and blueberries. YUM!
  • SpydrMnky27
    SpydrMnky27 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I eat berries but not too many a day...maybe 4 or 5 with a meal.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Berries are where it's at!

I get strawberries 3-4 lbs at a time. I I cut them up and rinse them with 1/4c water + 1 tbs apple cider vinegar. Then I sprinkle Splenda on them and store them in the fridge. They last about a week, maybe 2. They don't go bad in that time. I use them in smoothies every day and sometimes when I'm feeling "naughty" I just eat them out of the container. Nom nom nom!

I can't wait for berry season tho. I'm going to buy out the farmer's market. I LOVE blueberries so much!

For a super awesome treat I heat up some cream cheese in the micro for a few seconds then add Splenda and blueberries. YUM!

Another blueberry fan here, thanks for the cream cheese tip :)

At the moment I'd only have most other fruits if I were exercising (walking at a moderate pace, usually).
  • ZipperJJ
    ZipperJJ Posts: 209 Member
    Options

At the moment I'd only have most other fruits if I were exercising (walking at a moderate pace, usually).

I just pictured a dude walking around my neighborhood with blueberry stains all over his face. Ha!
  • Chokis
    Chokis Posts: 131
    Options
    Berries are my favorite choice too. Occasionally, honeydew, melon. Sometimes I eat grapefruit, although it does add carbs, but it has a very low glycemic load, and Dr. Atkins recommended it, plus it is good for you. I usually eat 1/3 of a medium grapefruit sprinkled with Splenda (otherwise it is too sour for me).
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Frozen blueberries, raspberries and strawberries, mixed with full fat greek yogurt (I make myself) or Hood Chocolate Calorie Countdown (formerly called Carb Countdown) Mix until the berries start to thaw and the yogurt or CC starts starts to freeze

Sometimes I add fresh mango to greek yogurt, but I make one mango span 4 servings.