TDEE from BMF

swingkid1975
swingkid1975 Posts: 105 Member
Question for you all with BMF's. I just started using mine this past Tues. Before I got it I was using the scooby calculation which put my cut value at 2002 cals. Now that I have my BMF I know exactly what my TDEE is. However, I have a couple questions.

1. I don't know my full TDEE for the current day until the next day
2. It's obviously not the same every day. For the past three days it's ranged from 1944 to 2204. That's a difference of 260 calories.

How do you decide where to set your calorie goal for the current day? Eat today based on yesterday's TDEE? Figure out the average for the week and eat that every day next week and repeat?

Replies

• swingkid1975
    Anyone???
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Most folks set a cut off time and base their day from that. Eight or 9 pm is popular- late enough you're done with most activity but early enough you can throw down some food if you need to. If you're a little off (which over time you will be less and less) some folks eat it back the next day and others let it go.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    I just got mine this past tuesday too...great little gadget isn't it?! :happy: I've also been trying to figure out exactly what to do with that question.

I know that I read a post by Lucia or Kiki that they knew someone who took the total from the day before and used that for tdee for the current day. Not sure if that's a good idea or not, but apparently it worked for that person.

Did you notice however that if you hover your mouse over the computer dashboard tally of calories burned so far (the slider on the far right - put your mouse in the slightly transparent part of the goal) it tells you what they estimate your burn to be for the whole day. If you check that after you've done most of your activity for the day I find it's not too far off if you end up just chilling with a movie or something in the evening. Then you can base it on that. For example. Last night it estimated I'd be 31 calories over my burn goal. I checked it this morning and I was 71 calories over my burn goal. But, you have to be pretty sedentary after your check to keep it close to the estimate.

I've just been doing my best to try to keep around a 500 cal deficit for now while I'm still seeing seeing how this works. On Monday I hope to get back into a regular routine (mine's been off this week), tally up my tdee's for 7 days, divide by 7 and get my mean average. I figure that this would then become my actual Tdee for the WEEK. then just take 15% off that for my deficit and eat that every day. I'm a little freaked out though about eating more than I burn on a low burn day during the week but from what I can tell, it's all about the consistency....So, perhaps this would work best than trying to do it daily.
  • swingkid1975
    Thanks. I didn't know that about seeing what the estimated burn will be on the right hand side. Although it's great to know my true TDEE I like to pre-track my food the day before, and that makes it difficult if I'm waiting till the end of the day to find out the total.

I may try doing what you said and take the weeks average and set that as my goal for the upcoming week. I'll let you know how that works.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I've been using my BMF for almost 4 weeks. I was going to go by my 28-day average except I feel like it's a little too high because I was on vacation one week and didn't do any workouts but walked so much that I burned about 3500 calories each day.

So....I just went with the average I got for the last 7 days, which is 2626. Rounded it down to 2600 and subtracted 500 (a little less than 20% cut).

I increased my calories last week to 2000 so I'm still not eating enough. I'll increase to 2100 from this point forward.

I really want to try to be more consistent with my calories instead of slowly bumping up each time my TDEE changes so I'm going to stick with this number for at least the next month and see how it goes. I'll do another average after the next 28 days and see where I'm at.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    I have been wearing mine since last Tuesday. I am going to wear it for a week and get the average. I can already tell that I burn about 2500 on workout days and 2000 on non workout days. I love the gadget and the numbers but I am already getting sick of wearing it.