eating the same, weight and measurements increasing, ugh.

Options
sleepytexan
sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
Hi all,

I am 5'4, 44 yrs old, 133 lbs. TDEE 2271, BMR 1317. I lost 15 lbs. in 6 mos by eating more, maintained for 3 mos, and have started gaining pounds and inches the past 3 mos -- (I did add in heavy lifiing). All while eating the same cals as when I lost.

I started on MFP at 142, dropped to 128 in about 6 mos. by eating more! yay! I had been doing cardio during for 8 years -- the only change was increasing calories to lose weight.

I started heavy lifting in March and switched how I was looking at calories. Changed from BMR + exercise to TDEE for a month and then TDEE - 15% for 2 mos. I've steadily gained 5 lbs. over these past 3 mos. (I know you should expect to gain while lifting, but hear me out). While I'm pleased with my upper body progress, I am not pleased that my waist has increased from 27 to 28 and hips from 35 to 36.

Because I am a little bit obsessive, I spent a few hours last night entering all of my calorie, exercise and weight data from the past year into an excel spreadsheet . I wanted to see if the various ways I've set up my intake have resulted in different net calorie consumption.

It turns out that my avg. net calorie consumption has not really changed very much over the past year--lowest 1492 avg daily net for a month, and highest month 1692 avg daily net (December holidays).

My avg. daily net cals these past 3 mos has been 1582. For the 6 mos. I lost, my avg daily net cals were 1577. (Again BMR is 1317). So essentially the same cals, but gaining lbs and inches instead of losing.

So . . . is it just normal? I'm trying to ignore the scale, but waist and hip measurements are going the wrong way. Any opinions?

Replies

• alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If your weight is up a pound or two, I wouldn't worry about it. But if it's up more, are you sure your average TDEE is correct?

I tried those online calculators and they turned out to be way too high for me (I'm 36, have a sedentary job, and work out about 3-5 days a week, including heavy lifting -- when I plugged in that info, the results were too high).

So, I did a test where I would eat at a specific calorie level for an entire month and check results. If I gained, I lowered the calories by 100 and if I lost I upped the calories by 100. I would do the same experiment at the new calorie level for a month, and again, check results.

The experiment took me months, but I finally feel that I have a good handle on my TDEE. Obviously, this number will change when/if I gain significant muscle, but I think it takes women quite some time to put on enough muscle to have a noticeable effect on TDEE.

Anyway, good luck!
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    thanks for responding. yes, I've gained 5 lbs.

However, I am still eating the same calories as when I lost weight. I am certain; I've kept very accurate records.

Even if my TDEE is high, I'm still eating under it; avg. daily net 1580-ish. I actually did cut 100 cals a day this past month, but still gaining. grrr.

I work out every day:

M: paddleboard and/or dance (about 300 cals)

T: spin (about 500 cals)

W: lift (about 300 cals)

T: spin (about 500 cals)

F: paddleboard and/or dance (about 300 cals)

S: road cycling (about 950 cals)

S: lift (about 300 cals)
  • n8na
    n8na Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the opposite - maybe you're not eating enough? You work out everyday without eating your exercise cals back (I know it's already in the TDEE but seems low especially when you work out every day). What do you think?
  • alli_baba
    Options
    I was thinking the opposite - maybe you're not eating enough? You work out everyday without eating your exercise cals back (I know it's already in the TDEE but seems low especially when you work out every day). What do you think?

It could be that -- you're seriously working out (impressive workout schedule!) I gained some weight when I started lifting but it only lasted about 3 weeks and then it quickly went away (and my measurements went down).

Whatever you decide to do, I would make the change and give it a month. Some good advice that I received a while ago was to make the smallest change possible, stick with it for a while, and assess results. I think sometimes folks panic and dramatically lower their calories, mix up their macros, up their activity and, as a result, have no idea what it is that is influencing the changes in their body.

Anyway, best wishes!
  • lindsayjdodd
    lindsayjdodd Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you want to eat your true tdee - 15%, then you should eat 1930 cals everyday. I looked at your diary over the last two weeks, and the average was 1700-1800 cals. I think you should be eating more. Also track your sodium, just to make sure you don't go over (you eat pretty clean, but just wanted to throw that out there). Also, I would suggest eating more protein, and make sure your macros are set at 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. Focus on these things, and just keep pressing in!! You are doing great! You have all the support you need here- just keep going!! Best of luck to you!
  • alli_baba
    Options
    One other thought -- a common telltale sign for under eating is how you feel. If you feel sluggish during your workouts, it may be a sign you aren't getting enough food. I was under eating for a while and I felt it (I would feel like giving up halfway through my workouts). I think since you are so active, that would be a good indicator for you.

Just a thought.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Are you doing the same amount of workouts that you were doing before PLUS the lifting? If so, then your activity level has increased, and your cals should have gone UP, not down. :wink:

You do quite a bit of exercise, so make sure you've used the right activity level as well.

One other thing to consider....when was the last time that you took a recovery week or a diet break? :huh: Both are necessary, to prevent over training as well as plateaus. Most people don't realize but over training can quickly backfire and turn into a weight gain issue. Although, with the small amount that you've gained, you may not have crossed that line, but it's very possible if you haven't taken a break in a while. You should probably go ahead and plan to do so, just for preventative measures. :wink:

Other than that, most people experience some scale fluctuation, as you said, with lifting. That's where the recovery week always comes into play with me. I do my "real" weigh-ins toward the end of my week off from weights. It allows me to really measure my progress, because I lift heavy all the time, I'm always carrying extra water and can't get that accurate weigh in until then.

~Kiki
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Do you have a rest day? That's when your body recovers and changes! :-)
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    thank you all for your posts.

no, this is not the same amount I used to do before lifting. I used to do 13.5 hours/week cardio; now it's about 5-7 hours cardio and 2 hours lifiting.

I had initially started lifting 3 days and cardio 3 days and I did get to a point I was overtraining; I did take 10 full days off and switched to 2 days lifting instead of 3.

sometimes I take a rest day; sometimes I consider my paddleboarding in the lagoon as a rest day (it's really no harder than a walk unless you want to push hard).

It is possible that I need more calories, and I am aware of that, especially since I just made up that spreadsheet last night.

Also, to the poster than said I averaged 1700-1800 last month, yes, I did, I had cut it back by 100 for the month--but that was also a month that I was sick and took a 4 day break and another 10 day break from all workouts. It's funny, bc when I first started lifting I ate 2000-2300/day (without extra exercise cals) and I thought that was eating more, but in reality, the net was really close to what I had been doing all along.
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Just gonna throw this out there.... I was gaining and gaining and couldn't figure it out. My doc sent me for blood tests and came back my iron was really low. When your iron is low (really low) your body will hold on to everything. I got put on iron supplements and within a month my weight was back down where it belonged. Just a thought:)
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It still sounds like you aren't eating enough. You work out a lot and need to fuel the fire a bit more maybe?

Good luck - I haven't lost in a while either and know how frustrating that is!!
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    It still sounds like you aren't eating enough. You work out a lot and need to fuel the fire a bit more maybe?

Good luck - I haven't lost in a while either and know how frustrating that is!!

I think it could be that too. I've changed the daily net goal back to 1550 plus exercise calories, so that will get back into the 2000s gross most days.