Feeling a bit discouraged today,....

Options
mfisher16508
mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
Hi all....its me again and I am discouraged today, the scale hasnt moved in a few days, and I know its a number of things, some in my control, some not....the main thing is protein, I am having a hard hard time getting it in without the shakes, I am trying to get all my protein from solids now that I can eat, but I am kinda in a a weird place with food right now. So let me begin and maybe you all can help me, either having been there or are currently in the same place as me.

Numbers mean alot to me, the scale, cals in and cals burned ect ect...so after eating so few cals for SOOOO long, well that last few months anyways...I panic when I see the cals going up as I intro more solid food into my diet...I literally freak out, and I dont get all the protein I need. I know I need more protein, but I am SICK of fish, shrimp, ground any kind of meat and sometimes I just want a few good carbs....ya know....dont sympathize with me, cause I need a good *kitten* whoopin right about now. phew...anyways....I ate crappy this weekend, well crappy for me, some junk, some good, but more carbs than protein and I dont like it. Its my fault, but I need to find NEW NEW ways with easy simplye recipes to get my protein in....OR I could live on the protein shakes and bars which I dont mind and have some good carbs here and there, and when the mood strikes have some solid protein, ohhhh the dilemma. I have a support group this tuesday, but I have to work, and cant go, and its a cooking one too, would of been soooo good to go .........ahhh well......thats why I have you guys and gals....

SOOOO please help me with some new ideas. I have peeked at others diaries and taken ideas from them, but still give me some new ideas, any would be appreciated. I am not gonna fail at this, I will not, I cannot, I have stumbled upon some lemons and well I just have to make some lemonaide.....

Thanks for the help or encouragement in advance.

Mary

Replies

• loribenfield
    loribenfield Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Mary, check out the following blog. www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.blog She has some wonderful recipes and food ideas. And I love to read her blog. I hope you can get some good ideas from it. :happy:
  • imakimm
    imakimm Posts: 839
    Options
    Hi! I felt awful yesterday! I had my RNY 6 months ago. My husband and I ran to the store for something really quick and I saw this new frozen yogurt shop. Well we went in and I got a small cup of lowfat vanilla frozen yogurt..not so bad until I put reeses peanut butter pieces on top! I ate my whole small cup and felt so sick afterwards! I literally just laid on my couch for 30 mins I felt so sick!

But anyways I usually start my day off with a protein drink otherwise I wouldn't be able to reach my protein goal. I also like fage 0 greek yogurt, skim or 1% milk, chicken, and light string cheese. I'll eat nuts but half the serving because of the fat content. Since you said you want good carbs too have you tried oatmeal that has good carbs and protein. My favorite for dinner right now is crab legs. I buy it whenever its on sale. My husband told me he is so sick of eating crab lol!

As for some recipes:
    Check out these links they have different recipes you might like
    http://bariatricfoodie.blogspot.com/
    http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/
  • mfisher16508
    Options
    I totally forgot about egg face......thanks for reminding me ladies.....I did forget to mention that somdays I dont want to eat al all cause I dont know what to eat....

Im off to egg face land...

mary
  • authormarieskye
    authormarieskye Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, but I think what my BIGGEST problem is. I keep getting on the scale. I use to be one of those girls that after I had surgery was asked "how much did you lose" and My answer was "I don't know, i'll check when i see the surgeon again in 3 months" now for some reason not known to man, I get on the scale every day and yesterday I finally locked the scale away because I found I was becoming obsessed with it, and that's not me at all. So from now on weigh in will be once a month and that's it. But I think you're doing fine. I find myself comparing myself to others, and I just need to realize everyone is different and loses weight at a different rate.
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I get tired of the protein shakes too! I have purchased unflavored protein from Unjury and have been adding half a scoop to applesauce, or sugar-free pudding, or cottage cheese etc., just to get in more protein. Also if you like egg-drop soup it is super easy to make, low-calorie and high protein, and is also easy to digest.

Remember you haven't come this far to stop now. Rough days were yesterday, today's a brand new day with a clean slate! Make it a banner day!!! You can do this!!!
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Awwww.... hang in there Mary!! I'm almost 4 years out and still have a protein bar of shake everyday.

My favorite protein-rich food is greek yogurt. Mixing it with frozen blueberries or SF Jello pudding is my favorite treat.
  • tessanne10
    tessanne10 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    i do a protein shake in the morning first thing, it's easier on the stomach and is recommended to get a jump on protein. I usually do the protein powder for it. I eat my food in the middle of day and do a snack usually around 4-5 pm and then make another protein shake at night, once again my doctor recommends the liquid is the best way to get the protein in over the solids. There are also protein drinks that can be added to your water that will help as well. For my snack I usually do a protein bar of some type. I like Oh Yeah! protein bars and the EAS Carb Advantage protein bars are good too! They have between 15-17 grams of protein. I guess start your day and ending your day with a protein shake helps to jump start the system.
    I sometimes will stay the same weight for two to four days and all of a sudden I will drop some more weight.
    I usually add ice or frozen fruits to my shakes and sometimes I will either use fat free cottage cheese or Activia Light yogurt, it makes it thicker and more like ice cream.
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Mary, I didn't see this mentioned on any of the reply posts. I went thru a plateau about 3 weeks after RNY in Jan.- no wt loss for 3 weeks. I was beside myself. I was tempted to try the zigzag diet, and a few others, but called my nutritionist. She told me to start drinking at least 64-72 oz of green decaf every day, without fail. Well I tried it, I could only get in about 64 cuz all that water was affecting my sleep. IT WORKED I mix the salada green tea bag with Bigelow Lemon Ginger in a 2 1/2 mug before every meal. Dr. Oz (and I'm not a fan but it made sense) said to get the lemon ginger variety - it burns fat. Since that time, and eating about 800 cals/day with exercise about 2-3 days a week, I've averaged a little over 10lbs a month loss. I swear by it. It acted like a magic pill. I have some Arizona Green w/ginseng (caffeinated) in the fridge when I feel like a pick me up, and a dry decaf green tea & strawberry mix for exercising. I wouldn't bother telling you all this if it didin't work. I'm hooked. :laugh:
  • mfisher16508
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies, its been a few since original post, but I am doing much better, not feeling discouraged or anything, actually feelin pretty good.
    I am def gonna try the green tea, does it have to be hot??? cause they make a cold brew green tea I think, and if not then I will make cold brewed green myself, also can I add in the splenda is that ok???

Mary
  • risskie
    risskie Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Mary,
    NO it does NOT have to be hot. Green tea of any temp. will work. I just got a box of Celestial Seasonings Green Decaf w/white tea. It's so much smoother and the white tea cuts that bitter taste. Try Arizona - be careful of the sugar, tho, so get Diet. Caffeine will burn more calories than decaf. As I said I mix it with Lemon Ginger tea- I get either Bigelow or Twinings. Glad you are feeling better. Remember, that's why we are here - to help each other and offer support. Best of Luck. :flowerforyou:
    Christine
  • kidskart
    kidskart Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Christine,
    thanks for the post about the tea. I will be trying that this week!!! Thanks!
    Lisa