emtwl & diet breaks

jj3120
jj3120 Posts: 358
I have been eating more since the 11th March, that is 11 full weeks :happy: Everything is going well I am losing weight and inches, feel great in myself, my whole attitude to food has changed and I know this is something I can maintain. I am happier all round.

There was a post on the main forum ages ago, which I can't find now and has dropped out of my recent posts (that is so annoying!!) which had some great info and talked of taking a break from dieting every few months. I found this link through fat2fit radio if anyone is interested.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

From a comment at the bottom of this article I will continue with my normal exercise routine.

As I eat the fat2fit way my maintainence isn't actually much more than what I'm on now anyway, but if I do this now my next break will coincide with my summer holiday.

At the moment I am eating at my goal-weight maintaince 1958 everyday, only adding exercise cals if I do anything extra (like 3 hrs gardening yesterday) To get my maintaince I just put my current-weight and bf in as my goal-weight which gives me 2166

I am going to eat at maintainence for a week, maybe 2

I just thought I'd put this 'out there' I don't know if any of you established emtwl peeps do this, have tried it or have any thoughts?!...

Replies

• JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    I am planning to encorporate this into my schedule. I havent started lifting but when I do Ill go up to maintenance for the first couple of weeks while I adjust to the new exercise regime.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    interesting article, that sounds like a great thing to incorporate into your long-term plan
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103
    I started em2wl on 3/20/12 and plan to go to maintenance on 6/5/12 for two weeks. I had started a one month daily tracking with using a spreadsheet from the scooby site and will be done with that on 6/5/12. I am tending to think that since I haven't really lost any weight since I started that maybe I am underestimating my activity level. So that's why I started the one month tracker with the scooby site. It's supposed to help you calibrate your calorie level. Anyway...that's a bit off topic. But I am planning on doing a two week maintenance/diet break soon and am close to the amount of time that you have been doing this.
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    I didn't think of getting a maintenance number by entering current weight as goal weight. Interestingly, since I'm resting from exercise this week, the number is only 100 calories more than what I was eating.
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    I started em2wl on 3/20/12 and plan to go to maintenance on 6/5/12 for two weeks. I had started a one month daily tracking with using a spreadsheet from the scooby site and will be done with that on 6/5/12. I am tending to think that since I haven't really lost any weight since I started that maybe I am underestimating my activity level. So that's why I started the one month tracker with the scooby site. It's supposed to help you calibrate your calorie level. Anyway...that's a bit off topic. But I am planning on doing a two week maintenance/diet break soon and am close to the amount of time that you have been doing this.

I'm curious, where do you get that tracker?
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I am planning to do a diet break as well but haven't decided when yet. I have about 9 lbs until my prepregnancy weight so I will either do it then or when possibly at the end of the summer, which ever comes first.

I have 30-50 lbs to lose after I get to my prepregnancy weight.
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    I'm doing a full everything break next week after my husband gets back from vacation. Taking a break from hard workouts and eating closer to my maintenance than I usually do. I'm not really going to be eating that much more (100-200 calories a day), but removing my workouts from the equation dramatically alters my activity level, haha :)
  • jenniekw
    jenniekw Posts: 104
    Bump
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Yes. EM2WL is a huge advocate for diet breaks. While there have been many posts in the past about it, there are current ones as well. There are quite a few threads in here discussing this at this moment. Here's one that was directly below this one, lol
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/611860-when-do-i-take-a-break

Threads get buried do quickly, that it's very hard for people to know what has been discussed already. Like you said about the other thread, very annoying. :-/

Thanks for posting an article for more thorough info.

~Kiki
  • techmom29
    techmom29 Posts: 103

I'm curious, where do you get that tracker?

Here is the page: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator-calibration/ Scroll down until you find the link for the logging spreadsheet.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Yes, I am happily taking a break right now myself. I am not at goal "size" yet, but almost there and during my current lifting program I think it is best to eat more cals to hopefully gain a little more muscle mass to burn off the fat. Since starting up the group I have learned so much more and whew, had I know about metabolism reset and diet breaks long ago...wow. But hey, better now than never...Kiki, did an awesome post on metabolism reset in the top sticky...hope people really take that into consideration when deciding whether to start with cut or TDEE...
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Well I have just finished my 2 week diet break! Just thought I would update for those interested!

My scales also measure body fat/water/muscle/bone - I only use this function once a week, it is cosistent if not 100% accurate.

2 weeks ago start 145.8lb / body fat 38.8 (finally out of the obese % for body fat!)
    1 week in - weight 145.8lb / body fat 38.4
    End weight today - 145.8lb / body fat 37.9

My measurements haven't changed much except at my navel which have dropped a bit : ) but I have been losing steadily here since switching to full fat dairy at the beginning of April.

Interesting that my weight stayed the same yet my bodyfat dropped.

Although it's not popular at the moment I like to weigh everyday, and I had some days where I was up to 148lb but they were higher sodium days.

Still going to drop back down to my cut , but will watch my body fat as this has still been dropping at a steady rate even at the higher calories, & that is more important than 'weight'
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Oops I deleted my first post cos I didn't scroll enough to read the last post....blonde!!!!

Well done funny how your weight didn't change but fat did....awesome!!!!! I did tdee for a week and had no exercise due to illness for the entire week and my weight didn't change either :)
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    wow thanks for sharing that update!
    Totally agree on the body fat % being more important!! That is a really fantastic change in a short time too!!
  • angelina2585
    angelina2585 Posts: 273 Member
    That really is great Bec. It's interesting what you said about inches dropping around your waist after switching to full fat dairy. I still have skimmed milk because I really can't stand the texture of even the semi-skimmed and don't have full fat Greek yoghurt.

I'm a bit torn when it comes to using butter & full fat mayo, which I really do like, because of the blood cholesterol issues.

Hmm what to do?!