Protein chocolate breakfast cake

Options
TripleJ3
TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
So I am always on the look out for good protein powder recipes so I am not always consuming so much dairy. Many of them can be...okay and many don't really work. I did try this one today and was pretty happy with it. It was a little dry so maybe next time I'll add more pumpkin. I used some coconut palm sugar to sweeten so my calories came out higher, but this is definitely one I will make again!

I am guessing you can use any flour in place of the coconut flour but I used coconut flour. Also I only had to cook it for 3-4 minutes.

Dry Ingredients:
1 T. Coconut flour
2 T. Protein powder
2 T. Cocoa
1/2 t. baking powder
Pinch of salt

Wet ingredients:
1/4 c. egg whites
2 T. canned pumpkin
1 T. – 1/4 c. water
A few drops of vanilla and/or stevia, optional
Optional mix-ins: frozen blueberries, raspberries, or chocolate chips.

Grease a bowl with coconut oil, set aside. Mix dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add wet ingredients and mix-ins, stir, and add water to thin (see video). Pour batter into the greased bowl, then nuke for 3-4 minutes, depends on your microwave. Flip the cake out of your bowl, put a paper towel on the bottom, and nuke it again for 1- 1.5 minutes. Schmear with butter or peanut butter and enjoy with a hot cup of coffee on a lazy Sunday morning. These are also good cold and get really fudgy when they sit in the fridge.

In case you’re interested, here are the nutritionals for the WHOLE cake:
Calories: 144
Fat: 2.3 g
Carbs: 18 g.
Fiber: 8 g.
Protein: 19.1 g.

Edit to add the link:

http://raspberrycoconut.com/2011/06/27/chocolate-cake-for-breakfast/