A slight whine about protein

DianeinCA
DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
I know, I know, I know -- I'm supposed to eat more protein. Either 1g per lb of LBM, or 1g per lb of body weight (I've read both things, different places). I'm aiming for 1g per lb of LBM because GAH this is so not happening right now. I'm going to have to view my entire daily food supply in terms of getting in at least 100g of protein per day.

This is exhausting.

I don't *like* protein smoothies this much.

I'm going to give it my best shot for the month of June, though -- in July we go on vacation and I will have less control over the daily makeup of my meals.

Replies

• Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    hehe...you get used to it. :tongue: Without those shakes, I'd NEVER meet my protein intake. Just try to dress them up as much as you can and find the one that has the highest protein content in it to give you more in one shot. Mine has 30 grams per serving so two of those a day (one in the morning and one at night) usually gives me just enough boost. Also tuna and high protein greek yogurt are really good snackers to help get it up there. (although I wouldn't put them together....LOL!)
  • We just found Body Fortress Peanut Butter chocolate whey protein. Mix it with a cup of almond milk and it takes like a dessert. I was getting so sick of shakes and this makes me WANT to have it. ONLY $16 at Meijer or Walmart.
  • niccig03
    niccig03 Posts: 6
    Any other suggestions for protein powder/shakes. I need to get something, but I don't like peanut butter and chocolate together.
    Thanks.
  • Mommareed4
    Mommareed4 Posts: 144
    I use body fortress vanilla and i mix 2 scoops with water and chug it as fast as possible LOL..No matter what i mixed it with it still tasted gross so.....with that and eating chicken, yogurt, eggs etc..I get in over 100 grams a day
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    I'm also having trouble meeting my protein numbers.
    I tried "new whey liquid protein" (42 g of protein) and liked it, the problem is the price ($2.80/serving), but it did help me achieve my protein goal. Then I bought Jillian Michaels' triple chocolate shake whey protein (15g), which I don't particularly like, but I'm not gonna throw away the $16 I spent on it. I just put tons of ice in it. I won't buy it again, though, because 15 g is too little.

I hope you can find a good alternative. The new whey protein was more like a juice than a shake. Maybe you'd like it.
  • Kooopons
    Kooopons Posts: 167 Member
    I use jay Robb vanilla whey powder. It's the best tasting ever. Only about 5 ingredients and no crap added. I blend 7-10 strawberries with 3/4 cup milk and 1 scoop of powder. It's delicious. One scoop is only 110 calories w 25g of protein (so almost all cals from protein with 1gm carbs)

It's a tad pricey but worth it for taste and quality.
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    I have two GNC protein powders I rotate, cookies & cream and choc caramel. I mix it with greek yoghurt to make it palatable too LOL so a double shot of protein there :laugh:
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    I tried the powder from walmart but to me it tasted horrible. So i go with the chocolate protein powder from costco. With milk it tastes pretty good, not as good with water tho. It comes in a huge 6lb bag to so it lasts for long time for me.
  • Any other suggestions for protein powder/shakes. I need to get something, but I don't like peanut butter and chocolate together.
    Thanks.

They also have cookies and cream...yummy!
  • I use body fortress vanilla and i mix 2 scoops with water and chug it as fast as possible LOL..No matter what i mixed it with it still tasted gross so.....with that and eating chicken, yogurt, eggs etc..I get in over 100 grams a day
    Try it with almond milk. I think its tastes like a shake.
  • Everyone also have their own opinions on what tastes good as I think Body Fortress is the best I've tried in a long time. I cant stand some of the others so its all what you like in the long run. I cant spend a lot of money otherwise I would get the organic powders. Maybe some day but for now $16 for Body Fortress is the best I've found.
  • twoboys2012
    twoboys2012 Posts: 352 Member
    I make protein balls and I can't taste the protein powder. They have curved my choc cravings too or rather substituted them. They can have a cookie dough consistency sort of. Try them as a way to get in a little extra protein and have a choc treat.
    I have tweaked the recipe to make it more protein so you might want to do the same but adjusting protein powder amounts. And the smaller you make then the less in calories but less in protein.

18 scoops Protein powder (Mine is 3 scoops equals 30g so if yours have 1 scoop equals 30g then use 6 scoops)
    1 cup Oats
    1 cup Coconut
    4 Tbsp Peanut butter
    1 Tbsp Honey
    2 Tbsp cocoa powder
    2x 150g tubs fruity yoghurt (but greek yoghurt would bring down cals too)
    extra coconut for rolling in

Really stodgy sticky mixture. Roll in Tbsp sized balls and roll in coconut.
    i keep mine in freezer and get one out when i need one. They don't freeze solid.

Mine are about 133 cals each, 9 carbs, 8 protein, 7 fat makes 22

Feel free to tweak as you like as you really can't stuff it up ... I enter into the recipe builder on MFP to get exact cals with the brand used and it works a treat.

Another is Bliss balls but they are just bliss and nothing to do with getting in your protein just a yummy treat hehehe
  • juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 994 Member
    Theres lots of things you can eat other than protein shakes (although one a day really helps)
    Almonds
    greek yogurt
    tuna
    chicken
    flax seeds
    cheese
    granola bars with high protein

Just make sure all your meals and snacks have a a good balance of protein in them.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    I absolutely LOVE my protein shake! It's Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion in milk chocolate flavor. I've had it plain with just almond milk (or skim milk on occasion if I need the calories and extra protein) and I've also mixed in PB2 with it. Both ways, it's delicious!! It seriously tastes like a chocolate milkshake!!

Other than that, I suggest seafood if you're a fish-eating kind of person. Shrimp, crab, fish...all loaded with protein! Also, if you like lean red meat, that tends to have a lot more protein than a piece of chicken.