Canadian blood sugar vs. U.S. blood sugar readings

Options
glenner
glenner Posts: 160 Member
It sounds like our A1C numbers are similar but I am baffled by the daily readings. I am Canadian and my target range is 5 to 7. My A1C target is under 6. Is the American daily blood sugar number just times 100 of what a Canadian reading would be or is it completely different? I am just curious- does anyone know? Thanks

Replies

• momjmd
    momjmd Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It is the same. My A1C went from a little over a 7 down to a 6 recently. Was so excited. Our blood sugar readings are different than the A1C though.
  • Bevkus
    Bevkus Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    A1c is a simple percentage of glucose in the blood. As such, its the same on bith sides of the border.

The random glucose numbers are on a completely different scale in Canada than us. Its not a simple conversion! its like the difference between metric and standard units.

There are tables on internet to compare US and Canad units. As well there are tables correlating a1c results to average gkucose values. remember a1c is a percentage, not a unit so to speak. So an a1c of 6 does NOT corespond to Canadian value 6!!!!
  • waldenfam2
    waldenfam2 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Looks like to convert American sugar readings to Canadian you divide by 18 and to convert Canadian to American you would multiply by 18.

For instance my fasting is usually around 114 in the morning, so in Canadian values its 6.33 :)

Hope that helps!
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    actually, it would depend on the units Canada=metric, US=imperial . A1C is in percent or mg/dl (milligrams per decilitre) so those should be the same across borders, now your daily reading, check here for the conversion

http://www.medindia.net/patients/calculators/bloodsugar-conversion.asp