It happened again. :(

Options
karensoxfan
karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
I just finished Stage 1 (including AMRAPs), but this morning (before my workout) when I used the body fat analyzer, it read HIGHER than last month. For the 2nd month in a row.

When I first started working out in March, I did 100% cardio, so when it went from 35.8% --> 38.6% I thought maybe I had just burned too much muscle with the fat (I had lost 6.5 lb.) in that month.

But since I started lifting, I thought for sure, my new worst-case-scenario after a month (little longer, actually) would be that my body fat % would stay the same, but it's gone up again, this time to 39.1%

I won't let it stop me, but there are no words for how frustrating & discouraging this is. I'll keep going because I look and feel smaller, and more than anything, I want to get my cholesterol down, but I hadn't even lost weight in the past 4-6 weeks. I'm still hovering around 190, and haven't seen anything below 188.5. So I'm baffled as to how it's even possible for my body fat % to be higher after completing stage 1.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• kristi321
    kristi321 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    What analyzer are you using? I have the handheld Omron. I check it a few times a week and there are still fluctuations up and down. There is also the athletic and regular setting, which one are you using? Mine is a 3% change between the settings.

How are your clothes fitting? What about measurements? Don't rely on that monitor too much because it is not perfect. I go by how my clothes fit the most. You might want to adjust your calories down by 100-200 and see how it goes.

Keep at it!! Things are changing for the positive :-)
  • MamaWannaRun
    MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Yes, the amount of hydration can make a difference in this. Make sure you measure at about the exact same time each month and have the same amount of water before hand. I make sure I have two bottles of water in me and haven't had lunch or a workout yet. Also, make sure you haven't changed the input for your height! (my dh did that once)... Consistency is the key!

I seriously doubt you are adding fat if you are doing the routine you suggest and see results in inches!

Also, you might want to make sure the batteries are fully charged up on the machine and if it is at a gym, talk to someone there and tell them what is happening. Machines can malfunction!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Maybe your calories are a tiny bit too high? The book does say you can have a small deficit (although they don't encourage it), not sure if you've tried this.

Also I have heard of weight lifters cycling between bulking and cutting-- apparently there's this idea that you can't (shouldn't?) attempt to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time (which NROL4W states very strongly as well). Perhaps you could look into this and consider a "cutting" cycle?
  • Polly758
    Options
    Oh and maybe your machine is unreliable. I have heard calipers are the only way to accurately measure body fat. Sorry for all the heresay :(
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    What analyzer are you using? I have the handheld Omron. I check it a few times a week and there are still fluctuations up and down. There is also the athletic and regular setting, which one are you using? Mine is a 3% change between the settings.

How are your clothes fitting? What about measurements? Don't rely on that monitor too much because it is not perfect. I go by how my clothes fit the most. You might want to adjust your calories down by 100-200 and see how it goes.

Keep at it!! Things are changing for the positive :-)

Thank you.

I'm using an Omron Handheld too. The one @ my gym. I manually enter my height, weight, etc., then just hold it straight out and press start. I've always used the regular setting, since I know my body fat % is still far above where it should be.

My clothes are fitting better, which is encouraging, and I already have my profile set to eat at a deficit. I'll keep going no matter what, but without the scale moving, I was really, really, really hoping the body fat % would show at least a small reduction.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Yes, the amount of hydration can make a difference in this. Make sure you measure at about the exact same time each month and have the same amount of water before hand. I make sure I have two bottles of water in me and haven't had lunch or a workout yet. Also, make sure you haven't changed the input for your height! (my dh did that once)... Consistency is the key!

I seriously doubt you are adding fat if you are doing the routine you suggest and see results in inches!

Also, you might want to make sure the batteries are fully charged up on the machine and if it is at a gym, talk to someone there and tell them what is happening. Machines can malfunction!

Thanks. I used it when I first joined, before my first workout, before I eat or drink anything. I go to the gym bet. 5:00-5:30 every morning, and then drink water during my workout, and eat afterwards. So I think I've been consistent about that. I figured I'd use the analyzer monthly, so I've done it on Mar. 19, Apr. 18-19, and then today, May 29. I meant to do it last week, but kept forgetting to do it before my workouts, and twice I remembered, but couldn't find it, and the only trainer there at that hour is always booked back-to-back with other clients, so I'm not sure who else I'd ask about it.

I also input all my custom information every time, when I first turn on the machine. It prompts me through gender, height, weight, etc.

I'll plan on taking new measurements too.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Maybe your calories are a tiny bit too high? The book does say you can have a small deficit (although they don't encourage it), not sure if you've tried this.

Also I have heard of weight lifters cycling between bulking and cutting-- apparently there's this idea that you can't (shouldn't?) attempt to gain muscle and lose weight at the same time (which NROL4W states very strongly as well). Perhaps you could look into this and consider a "cutting" cycle?

I have no idea if my calories are too high. I'm eating at a 300 calorie deficit for my base, per the book's calculation because I'm obese, so I didn't even bother trying maintenance calories for a month. I do eat back exercise calories though, which if anything, I'd been UNDER-counting, because after recently receiving a Polar HRM as a gift, I'm burning significantly more calories than the treadmill/elliptical and MFP averages were giving me, again, because I'm so overweight & out of shape.

I've heard that HRM's aren't especially reliable for weight-lifting calories, but I hate to cut back and end up eating less on lifting days.

I've also only vaguely heard of bulking & cutting cycles. And even if I'm not building muscle, I'd like to at least preserve what I've got so that any weight lost will be fat burned, and not lost muscle. I haven't lost weight since I started NROL4W either though, so I find the whole situation to be VERY confusing.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Oh and maybe your machine is unreliable. I have heard calipers are the only way to accurately measure body fat. Sorry for all the heresay :(

I have no idea if my gym or Dr. offers caliper analysis. The premise of it intimidates me though. I'm starting to wonder if I should just quit trying to see a reduction in my weight/BMI and body fat %, and just focus on clothes, measurements & strength improvements?
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    Hey, same thing with me. I've GAINED nearly 10lbs since i started and my body fat % is gone up by 1 or 2% (i'm terrible with numbers so can't remember)... I know i've gained muscle in my arms, but why the hell won't the fat just go!!?
  • Polly758
    Options
    I'm just about done with Phase 1 and the only change I've noticed is my undies are looser (I accidentally bought 1 size too small... and now they fit lol) Pants still fit the same however.

Luckily I'm not in this to lose weight. However if I finish this whole thing and I've still got my tummy fat then I will absolutely be doing a cutting cycle. I have no idea how I will do it, but do it I will! :tongue:
  • hammycakes
    hammycakes Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing stage one, and while I am enjoying the workouts, I am not seeing the results I'm looking for. I gained back around 6 lbs ( after it took me 4 months to lose 10,) since I've started 5 weeks ago, and gained inches as well just about everywhere. My back fat does look smoother but that's the only really positive thing I can say (aside from my awesome strength gains.. )
    I am trying to console myself with the fact I'm making my bones and connective tissues stronger as well, so maybe I won't break my hip when I'm old and gray, but let's face it, the vanity aspect is killing me! I have forty pounds to lose and I've been working so hard.. I feel like I have this awesome toned body but it's hiding under a fat suit..
    I'm hoping the intervals and body matrix workouts will push my metabolism in phase 2.

You aren't alone!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,938 Member
    Options
    Just popping in to say how unreliable the body fat calculators are. The *only* success I have heard of (re: handheld monitors) is if you take the measurement, every single day, and under the same circumstances (i.e. naked or not, after eating or not, etc., etc.).

Then, track the rate over 30 days, and you will get a (rolling) 30-day average - and that average will be a more likely indicator of what your TRUE body fat percentage is.

Whether it is the scale, or any other calculator, they are NOT fool-proof. I'd rely, WAY more, on how my clothes are fitting, for sure. WAY more.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I have one of they machines at home you can get it on Amazon for around 30-40 dollars. The paper work say to use it in the morning, before drinking or eating anything and be bare foot standing on tile floor. Don't use when on tom.
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    I have one of they machines at home you can get it on Amazon for around 30-40 dollars. The paper work say to use it in the morning, before drinking or eating anything and be bare foot standing on tile floor. Don't use when on tom.

When I was using it, I was doing all those things, except wearing sneakers (the same ones each time) and standing on an industrial carpeted (level) floor (at the gym). It should have been consistent from reading to reading, but it wasn't, so I've quit using the handheld at all.