How do you get the 40-30-30 balance?

Options
JaimeNJ
JaimeNJ Posts: 51 Member
I'm hoping people can offer some good (tasty) suggestions regarding how to get more protein and less fat.

I am trying to add protein to my diet (nuts, seeds, soy, beans), but I seem to always end up with an incorrect percentage of calories.

Week of May 21 - Carb 44%, Fat 37%, Protein 19%
Week of May 14 - Carb 49%, Fat 35%, Protein 16%
Week of May 7 - Carb 51%, Fat 35%, Protein 14%

I have tried adding protein shakes. I am eating greek yogurt. The amount of calories in powder freaks me out.

What works for you? And how in the world do some of you eat 150+ grams of protein in a day?

Thanks much! ~ J

Replies

• rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I use protein powder and just make the calories fit. I also do peanut butter (sometimes just from a spoon), eggs, pistachios, and lots of lean meats. I try to make sure every meal and snack has some sort of protein.

That said, I only aim for 1g of protein per # of lean body mass. For me that's only 118g a day. Some people shoot for 1g per # of body weight. Not sure I could reach that one.

Your diary is closed. If you open it, I bet some more experienced folks on here would be happy to give you some pointers.
  • JaimeNJ
    JaimeNJ Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Diary opened... Thank you!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My diary is open so you can see what I eat (last week has been not so great, so you might have to go back a little further). I target 50-25-25 because it's more doable for me personally. I attempt to get protein at every snack/meal that I can. I make Pumpkin or Banana Nut Protein muffins which helps a lot because they have 17g of protein in them and it feels like I'm eating bread, but only get about 8g of carb. I eat tuna snack packs which are about 20g of protein. I will also eat chicken breast and guacamole to get fat and protein, with little to no carb. Protein shakes have been great - mine only has 120 cal per shake, but 24g of protein. Also the kind of carbs I'm eating are good carbs (veggies, fruits, whole grains). I eat very little pasta or bread anymore.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary. I have to hit 165 g/day of protein and I'm starting to get better at it! haha. But, I found that in order to do so, it's essential that I have 2 recovery drinks per day (I use the Weider Maximum Recovery - chocolate). It has 30 g/serving and only 175 calories. So a couple of those gives me 60 g/day of protein and to me it's like drinking a glass of chocolate milk (if you mix it with milk). I also find it filling so it is great right before bed to reduce night time nibblies....most of the time...lol.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    bump. I need to get more protein and less carbs.
  • slammy1079
    slammy1079 Posts: 97
    Options
    I started making protein shakes like this:

http://dashingdish.com/recipe/dashing-dish-official-protein-shake/

The addition of cottage cheese really helps, and the xanthan gum really makes it like a milkshake!