This Process Sucks.

bdotshaw
bdotshaw Posts: 90 Member
Hi all! I'm Brittany. 26 years old. My stats:

Height: 5'9"
Weight: 209
My BMR is 1760 and my TDEE is 3036, which puts my daily calorie requirement at 2429.

I have lost about 19 lbs (eating 1950 cals/day), but it has taken about 6 or 7 months. I'm wondering if I really need to eat that 2429. My trainer says no; her take on it is that because I'm not eating oatmeal, broccoli, and steamed chicken all freaking day, the weight loss is slow. It's annoying because I stalk MANY MFP forums and many say that weight loss is all about the caloric deficit, which I always have. If that's true, I should be losing weight like crazy, no?

I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing too much cardio. I strength train 3x/week and do cardio 4-5x/week for 30-45 minutes and burn an average of 600 cals each time, according to my HRM. Should I reduce cardio to 2-3x/week? I'm thinking my decifit is too high, thus hindering my loss. Should I eat that 2429? I log EVERYTHING, good and bad - my diary can get pretty ugly at times haha. I'm just frustrated with this entire process and I currently feel like saying *kitten* it, throwing on my stretchy pants, and eating a large pepperoni pizza.

Replies

• Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    . I'm just frustrated with this entire process and I currently feel like saying *kitten* it, throwing on my stretchy pants, and eating a large pepperoni pizza.

LOL I have no advice for you, but I found that very amusing. I did exactly that last fall after eating 1200 calories for 3-4 months and being completely stagnant for 2 of it.

When i restarted in March i did 1500 or so a day... scale still didn't budge. Just found this group 2 weeks ago, and am now trying to up my calories to 1900 to see what happens.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    The process does suck. A lot of it is mind games.. having someone else telling you what you should be doing to lose the weight.. This group is no different.. However, in here the idea is to NOT DIET anymore and to give yourself a complete metabolism reset and a shift in the way you think about food and calories.

Since you are at the point where most of us are at, you have to ask yourself, do you want to lose weight quickly and then yoyo diet for the next 30 years of your life, or do you want to reset yourself now, maybe gain a bit of the weight back for a short period of time, and then finally be able to lose the weight eating normal foods and never having to slash cals again?

Im definitely in the skeptic camp here as well and Ive been doing this for 10 weeks already.. However, in that 10 weeks I increased my cals by 1000 a day, and basically my weight has stayed the same. Ive lost and gained the same 5 pounds back, but overall, Im not ballooning up eating almost double what I used to, KWIM?

Based on your activity level, you should be eating more.
    You have two ways you can go about it from here... Give yourself the chance to completely reset, which means eating AT TDEE for a number of weeks, then dropping to your Cut value.. Or go to your cut value and see what happens first..For many of us, we went straight to Cut value and basically nothing changed, so we are going up to TDEE to give our bodues a chance to completely reset, know we arent starving it, and then drop back to Cut...

Im still very nervous about it, but Im at the point where I dont want to eat 1400 cals again for the rest of my life. I dont want to have to count every little thing I eat and fret if I end up splurging one day... so its a huge PITA to even fathom gaining weight right now, but its my last hope before I force myself to "starve" again..
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 994 Member
    I feel the same way. Some days I feel like I'm just spinning in circles. I started to eat more about 2 wks ago now. The scale has gone up some and my stomach looks bigger. I have yet to take new measurements because i felt a little bloated and wanted to give myself time. Anyways - then I have days like yesterday where the scale may be up but I look in the mirror while I'm lifting and I see my muscles showing and it makes me feel good inside.

I'm not 100% clean eater. I try my best but I still like a snack bag of chips with my sub sandwich and I still like an occational soda. Once or twice a week I might have an energy drink. I feel like even if I'm 100% all week if I eat out 1x on the weekend it took all of that way. I've said it before - my new "skinny" weight has become my "fat" weight. Last week I was 168 lbs - today I was 171 lbs. Granted I splurged on Saturday because we had people over but now when I look at that number I freak out because at the beginning of the year I was 162 lbs.

Ugh...again I feel like I just spin in circles but I'll get there eventually. Trying to keep a positive outlook.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Hey,
    Just a quick post that might help if your thinking of staying at your current eating level.. if your only eating 1950 calories, and burning 600, thats 1350 calories a day.. you need to eat up to your BMR(1760) at the minimum, so if your not eating back exercise calories I suggest doing that (410 calories more needed).. So ya that 2429 you may want to start eating daily
  • aj_31
    So as a person that likes to do cardio and lift should I only do cardio on my non-lifting days so I'm not burning too much and having to try and eat more? Or doesn't it matter as long as there is still a deficit?

Today for example - I was going to go run for like 30 min. Probably burn 350-400 cals. Then tonight I would lift weights and burn an average of 300-400 calories. Say on the low end I burnt 600 cals and I'm eating my cut at 1900. Now I'm down to 1300 and my BMR is 1526. So does it make sense to work that hard or should I weight and run tomorrow when I don't lift?

Any thoughts on this?
  • bdotshaw
    Wow, you guys are fast! I do believe I love this group :D
  • bdotshaw
    . I'm just frustrated with this entire process and I currently feel like saying *kitten* it, throwing on my stretchy pants, and eating a large pepperoni pizza.

LOL I have no advice for you, but I found that very amusing. I did exactly that last fall after eating 1200 calories for 3-4 months and being completely stagnant for 2 of it.

When i restarted in March i did 1500 or so a day... scale still didn't budge. Just found this group 2 weeks ago, and am now trying to up my calories to 1900 to see what happens.

LOL! We have to laugh to keep from crying, no? Good luck with your calorie increase! I hope it works out for you :)
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    Hi all! I'm Brittany. 26 years old. My stats:

Height: 5'9"
    Weight: 209
    My BMR is 1760 and my TDEE is 3036, which puts my daily calorie requirement at 2429.

I have lost about 19 lbs (eating 1950 cals/day), but it has taken about 6 or 7 months. I'm wondering if I really need to eat that 2429. My trainer says no; her take on it is that because I'm not eating oatmeal, broccoli, and steamed chicken all freaking day, the weight loss is slow. It's annoying because I stalk MANY MFP forums and many say that weight loss is all about the caloric deficit, which I always have. If that's true, I should be losing weight like crazy, no?

I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing too much cardio. I strength train 3x/week and do cardio 4-5x/week for 30-45 minutes and burn an average of 600 cals each time, according to my HRM. Should I reduce cardio to 2-3x/week? I'm thinking my decifit is too high, thus hindering my loss. Should I eat that 2429? I log EVERYTHING, good and bad - my diary can get pretty ugly at times haha. I'm just frustrated with this entire process and I currently feel like saying *kitten* it, throwing on my stretchy pants, and eating a large pepperoni pizza.

What you do for exercise is a personal choice, but the often recommended exercise is 3 days of heavy lifting along with 1 -2 days of moderate cardio. (on non-lift days) If you poke around this forum long enough you'll start to see that. :smile: Too much cardio combined with strength/lift training can actually just put you into an exhausted state and hinder your efforts - partly because high cardio burns tend to eat up some of that muscle you are trying to put on (especially at a deficit) instead of using the body's fat stores. So, in essence you wind up spinning your wheels or going backwards in your strength training. The other downfall to high cardio burns is you have to eat a LOT to give you the fuel you need. And since most are coming from a large cal deficit, they just can't fathom eating that much at first!

So, figure out what exercise pattern works for you (make sure you have at least one rest day in there) and then properly fuel whatever you decide to do to maximize your efforts.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Darnit, I wish I had quoted the person who mentioned that you're not eating enough....going below your BMR on days you do cardio if you're burning 600 cals. But I'm too lazy to go back and look...LOL!

I think cutting back on your cardio would help. Most people here lift 3-4 days a week and then do 2-3 sessions of cardio per week.

Make sure you're not netting below your BMR, which will only hurt you in the long run and could be the reason why you're not losing weight as quickly as you'd like. With high burns on your cardio days, I have a feeling that's what's happening to you.
  • bdotshaw
    The process does suck. A lot of it is mind games.. having someone else telling you what you should be doing to lose the weight.. This group is no different.. However, in here the idea is to NOT DIET anymore and to give yourself a complete metabolism reset and a shift in the way you think about food and calories.

Since you are at the point where most of us are at, you have to ask yourself, do you want to lose weight quickly and then yoyo diet for the next 30 years of your life, or do you want to reset yourself now, maybe gain a bit of the weight back for a short period of time, and then finally be able to lose the weight eating normal foods and never having to slash cals again?

Im definitely in the skeptic camp here as well and Ive been doing this for 10 weeks already.. However, in that 10 weeks I increased my cals by 1000 a day, and basically my weight has stayed the same. Ive lost and gained the same 5 pounds back, but overall, Im not ballooning up eating almost double what I used to, KWIM?

Based on your activity level, you should be eating more.
    You have two ways you can go about it from here... Give yourself the chance to completely reset, which means eating AT TDEE for a number of weeks, then dropping to your Cut value.. Or go to your cut value and see what happens first..For many of us, we went straight to Cut value and basically nothing changed, so we are going up to TDEE to give our bodues a chance to completely reset, know we arent starving it, and then drop back to Cut...

Im still very nervous about it, but Im at the point where I dont want to eat 1400 cals again for the rest of my life. I dont want to have to count every little thing I eat and fret if I end up splurging one day... so its a huge PITA to even fathom gaining weight right now, but its my last hope before I force myself to "starve" again..

The thought of eating 3000+ cals BLOWS MY ENTIRE MIND! I suppose I have nothing to lose, though. My sanity is long gone.
  • bdotshaw
    Darnit, I wish I had quoted the person who mentioned that you're not eating enough....going below your BMR on days you do cardio if you're burning 600 cals. But I'm too lazy to go back and look...LOL!

I think cutting back on your cardio would help. Most people here lift 3-4 days a week and then do 2-3 sessions of cardio per week.

Make sure you're not netting below your BMR, which will only hurt you in the long run and could be the reason why you're not losing weight as quickly as you'd like. With high burns on your cardio days, I have a feeling that's what's happening to you.

I agree. I think I'll start by reducing cardio and making sure to net my BMR or more every day. I'm skurred, but I'm going to do it.
  • aj_31

Thanks. I was wondering if I was doing more damage than good. Right now the workout that I'm doing has 4 phases. I'm on the second phase and it is a 4 day split. So I have this week and next week of doing 4 days. Then weeks 7-9 is a 3 day split and then phase 4 goes back to 4 days for weeks 10-12. So maybe on the days I don't lift I should do cardio (2 days) and then have 1 rest day. Then in the next phase I could do 1-3 days of cardio and so on.
  • bdotshaw

What you do for exercise is a personal choice, but the often recommended exercise is 3 days of heavy lifting along with 1 -2 days of moderate cardio. (on non-lift days) If you poke around this forum long enough you'll start to see that. :smile: Too much cardio combined with strength/lift training can actually just put you into an exhausted state and hinder your efforts - partly because high cardio burns tend to eat up some of that muscle you are trying to put on (especially at a deficit) instead of using the body's fat stores. So, in essence you wind up spinning your wheels or going backwards in your strength training. The other downfall to high cardio burns is you have to eat a LOT to give you the fuel you need. And since most are coming from a large cal deficit, they just can't fathom eating that much at first!

So, figure out what exercise pattern works for you (make sure you have at least one rest day in there) and then properly fuel whatever you decide to do to maximize your efforts.

Thanks so much for your help! I am finally starting to realize that cardio is NOT necessarily king. It sucks, because I HATE strength training with a fiery passion.
  • aj_31

Thanks so much for your help! I am finally starting to realize that cardio is NOT necessarily king. It sucks, because I HATE strength training with a fiery passion.

I never really got the whole lifting thing until I started and now I'm addicted. Same with my husband. He did more cardio and now he's addicted to lifting. Maybe you'll catch that bug too.
  • bdotshaw
    Hey,
    Just a quick post that might help if your thinking of staying at your current eating level.. if your only eating 1950 calories, and burning 600, thats 1350 calories a day.. you need to eat up to your BMR(1760) at the minimum, so if your not eating back exercise calories I suggest doing that (410 calories more needed).. So ya that 2429 you may want to start eating daily

That makes so much sense. I can see clearly now! Just an FYI, if I gain even .25 of a lb while doing this, I WILL have a nervous breakdown and need medical assistance. I warned you.
  • bdotshaw

I never really got the whole lifting thing until I started and now I'm addicted. Same with my husband. He did more cardio and now he's addicted to lifting. Maybe you'll catch that bug too.

That would be awesome! I dread it every single time. It just sucks because we have been told for SO LONG that if we eat 1200 cals and do 5 hrs/day of cardio, we would lose. We seriously have to re-program our entire brain! It's a process.
  • aj_31

That would be awesome! I dread it every single time. It just sucks because we have been told for SO LONG that if we eat 1200 cals and do 5 hrs/day of cardio, we would lose. We seriously have to re-program our entire brain! It's a process.

You can say that again!
  • bdotshaw
    So as a person that likes to do cardio and lift should I only do cardio on my non-lifting days so I'm not burning too much and having to try and eat more? Or doesn't it matter as long as there is still a deficit?

Today for example - I was going to go run for like 30 min. Probably burn 350-400 cals. Then tonight I would lift weights and burn an average of 300-400 calories. Say on the low end I burnt 600 cals and I'm eating my cut at 1900. Now I'm down to 1300 and my BMR is 1526. So does it make sense to work that hard or should I weight and run tomorrow when I don't lift?

Any thoughts on this?

I have decided that cardio and strength will be done on seperate days. Responses so far seem to show that I'm simply creating too large a deficit (below my BMR) by doing both on the same day. I have a good feeling about this approach.
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Hey,

That makes so much sense. I can see clearly now! Just an FYI, if I gain even .25 of a lb while doing this, I WILL have a nervous breakdown and need medical assistance. I warned you.

*snort*

i like you.

same advice as all the others.
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    I like that you are so willing to give it a try! Your great attitude will help you succeed!

I have some advice, on getting started.

1. Take pictures.
    2. Take measurements.
    3. Weigh just this once, now. (Toss the scales for awhile! )
    4. Journal, not only food but how you feel during this process.

Changes will come from all aspects.