Options
secretlobster
secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
Here's my introduction...

Height: About 5'7"
CW: 139
GW: Probably 130 for now
BMR: 1450
TDEE: 1700 if I'm sedentary... I'm going based on this number and then eating my exercise calories back.

Back in 2008, I lost 35-40lbs by eating very low calories and doing 5-6 days of cardio (elliptical and martial arts). My metabolism has really suffered. I want to get back to eating like a normal person, but even though I still do about 5 days a week of running (training for a race) and boxing, I find it difficult to eat more than 1600 calories. Right now I am trying to be realistic without starving myself... My goal is to at least NET more than my BMR.

I have been trying to lose this fat from my lower abdomen for months now and I swing between 138 and 141. Started EMTWL last week, and I feel horrible. Bloated, puffy, and my fat is sticking out over my pants where before I had PARTIALLY defined abs.

Here's my "before" picture, taken yesterday. I will admit I don't actually look terrible, but after 4 years of feeling completely stalled, I really want a more athletic looking body.
http://www.landofsunshine.net/galvatron/misc/public/ugh.jpg

I'm using a FitBit to help me determine TDEE and it seems to be really accurate so far. I used to do resistance training with a PT, but right now I just don't have time in my schedule for weights.

I am seriously struggling with wanting to continue to eat more. I know that 1200 calories is too low for someone who is actively biking/running/boxing most of the week, I just hate the way I feel right now.

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Try and start eating full fat higher calorie items to increase your calories. Nuts, peanut butter, greek yogurt, cheese, eggs, etc. You will have so much more energy once you increase your calories.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Yeah, I have noticed that I do have more energy... The flipside is feeling like I weigh a zillion pounds and having my clothes tight on my waist :( Thanks I will try higher calorie things. I'll bring an avocado or something in tomorrow as a snack. I'm a big fan of full-fat yogurt already :) Skim sucks.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I would even say up your calories to 2000 and if its a really crazy active day try to eat more.. You may want to look at your fitbit and see what amount of calories you are burning during your active periods (or end of day) for the running.. dont know how well thats going to pick up on boxing, but I am sure thats up there in the calorie burn as well..
    I hate to say it but you are probably going to gain weight (at first).. but if you want to lose that pesky stomach fat, that starts in the kitchen before the gym (as I am sure you have heard tons of times)..
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you
    having the same stats as you and about the same goal as well.
    Just me TDEE is at 2400 and believe me, I feel I am constantly eating too.
    I did not do a full reset yet, but eating 2000.
    I am planning to do the reset though, cause I think my body needs it

Hang in there and trust the process. It will work :)
  • secretlobster
    Options
    I would even say up your calories to 2000 and if its a really crazy active day try to eat more.. You may want to look at your fitbit and see what amount of calories you are burning during your active periods (or end of day) for the running.. dont know how well thats going to pick up on boxing, but I am sure thats up there in the calorie burn as well..
    I hate to say it but you are probably going to gain weight (at first).. but if you want to lose that pesky stomach fat, that starts in the kitchen before the gym (as I am sure you have heard tons of times)..

I have a HRM that I use for non-stepping activities that the FitBit doesn't really understand. So I have a good idea of how much energy I expend during a day, thanks to the combination of both things.

It sucks that the problem isn't "you don't do enough exercise" because that's the easiest thing for me to fix :) I'm trying to gradually increase my intake, I imagine at some point it's going to have to be higher than it is now but I'm netting more than my BMR and that's a victory for me.
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Oh... Is there anyone who DOESN'T do weight training? My boxing/kickboxing workouts are not insignificant for musculature (aside from hitting a bag we do isometrics, pushups, ab workouts, jump lunges, jump squats, etc), but I'm not actively lifting weights right now. Does that mean I'm doomed to fail?
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    all those your using your body weight as weight to do those exercise.. so ya they are categorized as strength training.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Oh... Is there anyone who DOESN'T do weight training? My boxing/kickboxing workouts are not insignificant for musculature (aside from hitting a bag we do isometrics, pushups, ab workouts, jump lunges, jump squats, etc), but I'm not actively lifting weights right now. Does that mean I'm doomed to fail?

Absolutely not! Numbers are numbers, you pick the right activity, you eat at cut and you should lose weight. We just suggest weight lifting because it helps you gain/tone the muscles you have which helps burn off the fat. If you can incorporate some lifting great, if not, you will still lose weight. With cardio alone you will be a smaller version of what you are now, with lifting you change the physique...:smile:
  • secretlobster
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH, that is really heartening to hear!!
  • secretlobster
    Options
    It's been about a week of eating more. I'm back down to my "normal" weight of 138 today (from 142 on Monday). Hopefully the numbers don't jump up again, but I'm committed to work through it.