Is Interval Running better for weight loss??

Options
Hi everyone, I am new to MFP and this board :) I completed C25K about 12 months ago - loved (and hated LOL) every step of the way til I finished - and then I stopped running completely - broke a toe and never got back to it. I have to say that the only time I have ever been remotely happy with the shape of my legs was when I was running - I looooove runners legs - and I want them for myself!! So here I am :)

After I stopped running - went on a holiday (or two) and then Christmas came along - I gained a little weight - and now I am wanting to lose about 6kg to get back to where I was - and to incorporate running into my weekly exercise regime. I am like most of you who have that little devil on their shoulder saying they can't do it - but I feel AMAZING when I have not listened to it - have pushed on through and I have finished a run and those endorphins hit.

My question is this - after reading numerous articles that state that interval training burns more calories and therefore I would assume fat loss would follow - would I be best to just do W1 and W2 until I reach goal weight ??? And then continue on to complete my C25K programme??

What do you guys think?? I would really appreciate your input :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Honey_2012
    Honey_2012 Posts: 12
    Options
    Anyone?? I would love some feedback on this :) Pretty please :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Interval training is best for cardiovascular endurance/efficiency. But I don't think it's necessarily better for fat loss or calorie burn... The number of calories you burn depends entire on your heart rate, and how long it is elevated. Ultimately it doesn't really matter what you do for fat loss, as long as it's something you enjoy doing and can stick to. HIIT is a fantastic workout (I do it at LA Boxing) but is it better than running for burning calories? I would say no.

Edited to add:

I have a heart rate monitor, and I measured two workouts - 45 minutes of HIIT, and 45 minutes of running. For me (5'6", just under 140lbs) they burned almost exactly the same amount of calories
  • Honey_2012
    Options
    Ohhhh - thank you so much for that :) I really appreciate you posting :) I will follow the C25K then - maybe repeating weeks if I need to - until I can get that endurance/efficiency right :) I have a HRM but I haven't been able to do the whole 35 minute run yet to be able to compare - so YAY - thank you for taking the time to tell me :)

Thanks again for posting :) x
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You're welcome!! Glad my obsession over numbers and logging exercise has helped someone LOL :)
  • Honey_2012
    Options
    LOL - I have only just started - but I can see that I will be exactly like you - I am LOVING being accountable to all the numbers - I think I should've been an accountant !!! LOL x