Different BMR formulas?

Using the fat2fitradio calculators, I came up with a BMR of 1735 for the Harris-Benedict formula and 1460 for the Katch-McArdle formula. The KM one says it is more accurate if body fat % is known. Using the body fat calculator based on neck, hip and waist measurements my BF% is 46. I know that is not as accurate as being tested by a professional, but it's the best I've got right now.

Is it normal to have this much of a discrepancy with the BMR numbers? I know the scooby calculators do not take body fat % into account. Should I not worry about it and stick with the 1735? That's roughly what I get when doing all other BMR calculators. My TDEE is 2680 - should I adjust that by 275 based on the difference in the two BMR calculations?

Thanks all!

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    body fat calculators are netoriously inaccurate. It's more accurate to get body calibur measurements and average them over a few months to get an idea of where you are.

See my profile for details, the 'body fat' ranges are significantly different from each other (I listed them in my profile). Even the weight scale only reads the bottom half of you.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Using the fat2fitradio calculators, I came up with a BMR of 1735 for the Harris-Benedict formula and 1460 for the Katch-McArdle formula. The KM one says it is more accurate if body fat % is known. Using the body fat calculator based on neck, hip and waist measurements my BF% is 46. I know that is not as accurate as being tested by a professional, but it's the best I've got right now.

Is it normal to have this much of a discrepancy with the BMR numbers? I know the scooby calculators do not take body fat % into account. Should I not worry about it and stick with the 1735? That's roughly what I get when doing all other BMR calculators. My TDEE is 2680 - should I adjust that by 275 based on the difference in the two BMR calculations?

Thanks all!

Yes there is a big discrepancy between bmr calcs, so besides from getting tested I would pick one and stick with that one just for consistency sake.

Here Scooby's site that includes the BF%. It's pretty easy, but if you need any help just let me know.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Anita
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    BMR calculators that use bf% are the most accurate.

BUT, unless you've had your bf% tested by a professional (not the online bf% calculators) I wouldn't use it.

They are only gonna be as accurate as the bf% test you used. So get it done properly, for best results ;)

~Kiki