explosiveness

Options
FoxyMcDeadlift
FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
So who here trains for explosiveness? Im looking to improve the explosion on my dead and squat, i was thinking of doing some Powercleans/Jump squats, any recommendations?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Power cleans or any of the olympic lifts or their variations are great for building explosive power. However, I wouldn't do any of those lifts unless I had someone qualified to teach me. A lot can go wrong and they're not the kind of lifts you can learn while watching a video.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    Options
    Yeah thats pretty much how i feel about them too, i dont want to kill myself trying to learn snatches! Theres only one OLY lifter in my gym
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    If he can't help you, maybe he at least knows someone who can.

Also, although I'm not a fan of crossfit workouts, if they're a crossfit gym in your area that has a good coach, you might be able to learn there, but that's a big if.
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Would plyometric training help? I love the p90x plyo workout but other explosive cardio workouts seem like they could not hurt. They include things like the jumpsquats you mention :)
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I just joined USA weightlifting. It's work but more fun than other weightlifting.

British clubs:
    http://www.britishweightlifting.org/membership/club-listing
    USA clubs:
    http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Weightlifting/Clubs-LWC/Find-a-club.aspx
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    Options
    Cheers for the link, the closest club is about a half hour away, may be worth a trip to check it out!

Rock, Crossfit hasnt really made it to England yet (thankfully) although i saw a advert during a football game recently for reebok crossfit games.

Wendy, i do speed work in my running already, i need a different kind of explosion, involving big heavy weights, but i'll look into it.

thanks all!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Speed definitely needs to be addressed.

I used to do power cleans but haven't gotten to lately because of some wrist issues.

Box jumps, and lifts against bands have both helped improve my numbers.
    I deadlift against bands frequently and they have really helped my speed.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    i do powercleans one day a week on their own mate. usually satrudays.

also do a speed day with squats, bench, and rows. thats tonight. :p