Not sure what to do and feeling discouraged...

I am just getting so frustrated with my weight!!! I know I have gained some weight since I upped my calories and it is also TOM so right now I feel bloated. I am too scard to step on the scale. It has been about 3 weeks since I last weighed myself.

I joined this group I think around mid to late March after seeing a 33 lb loss and having my weight stall since about mid to late January. I read all these posts on the EM2WL forum about initial weight gain and then the weight drops. That hasn't happened to me yet and I am going crazy... Well, enough complaining.

I walk 4 mph 2-3 times for 20-30 minutes/ week and do Jillian's NMTZ 3-4 times a week with 8lb weights (I know that isn't much compared to what a lot of you do). I would like to do more heavy lifiting and will start when I can afford to buy new weights :).

My BMR is 1254 and my TDEE is 2079 (moderately active) and a 15% cut for me is 1768. So on MFP I should be eating my exercise calories correct? I have tried to alter the settings so that when I enter my exercise it doesn't adjust the total # of calories but it doesn't work. So I look at my net calories instead. Maybe I am not consistent enough with getting to the 1768. Sorry for the question that has been asked a zillion times. I still do eat my treats but with moderation of course and my fruits and vegetables, etc... Do you think my activity level should be light instead?

Anyway, my 1 year anniversary is July 21st and I am feeling like I will never get to my goal of 135. (I am 5'2" and was at 146.5 but now who knows... don't like the scale).

Thanks for letting me rant and was looking for some encouragement / answers to my questions.

Replies

• GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Hi there, we are nearly MFP twins, I'm 39, 5ft2 and 146lbs. I had done ww and got toy goal weight and sat there for 18mths!!!!! Sweating my butt off probably netting about 900 on exercise days and nothing worked. So now I've set my cals at 2000 and finally they are slowly but consistently trending down and not bumping back up.

I work out 3 sometimes 4 times a week, 15 min interval on treadmill then 40 minutes weights. I used to make sure I'd burned 600 cals before I left but I'm a bit easier on myself know. It usually is about 550-600, sometimes I might do 10 min interval spin at the end. I know always eat at least my bmr on exercise days, have a protein shake afterwards.

I know I've talked about myself but I would really like to help and support you too.

I will send you a friend request.
    We are all here to support you and there are a lot of us shorties around too...lol
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    How much have you gained?
  • Jolie1971
    Jolie1971 Posts: 51
    Well, I haven't weighed myself for about 3 weeks but when I did it was around 4 pounds. Not sure if I want to tomorrow morning as I am feeling bloated today (TOM).
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    I just re-read your post and you mentioned maybe not consistent with your cut. Have you been under much or under bmr??? I had read from an expert here that consistency was key...might help?
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    If you're using a cut from TDEE (like 15%) as your calorie goal, you do not eat your exercise calories back.

Exercise calories are already calculated into TDEE. So, if you're TDEE + cut = 1768, that's what you eat as your total calories. I know some people who don't log their exercise on MFP because it screws up the totals when you're using a static calorie number.
  • Jolie1971
    Yes, I always have netted my BMR. I think I will not log in my exercise in MFP so it will be easier for me. I think I have been usually between 1450 - 1700. So I suppose that could be the problem, too much variation? I will try now to be more consistent with my calorie intake and see how it goes! Just seems like I am eating sooo much and feel like I need to force more food into my body when I am not all that hungry ( like tonight).
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Yes, I always have netted my BMR. I think I will not log in my exercise in MFP so it will be easier for me. I think I have been usually between 1450 - 1700. So I suppose that could be the problem, too much variation? I will try now to be more consistent with my calorie intake and see how it goes! Just seems like I am eating sooo much and feel like I need to force more food into my body when I am not all that hungry ( like tonight).

Definitly need to be consistent on the calorie intake. Helps the body figure out what its changing much faster.

Once thing on the exercise. If you set a custom goal for your daily calorie goal like most of us do, when you log the exercise you do in a day, just put it in as 1 calorie. This way you track your exercise minutes still, and it does not mess with your custom goal :)
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    Probably worth a go at eating at your cut daily. I know what you mean about not hungry, I used to have a mocha for breakfast then nothing till lunch or after BUT not now. Now I have my mocha then whole toast with peanut butter and since last week I've had to eat an apple on the way to work and school drop off!! I think most people will agree that your metabolism will kick in and you will get hungry then eating more is not as hard as at the beginning. I think of my body now as a science experiment that needs to be fuelled to get the correct results.

There are heaps of people here to help with how to increase your cals.
  • Jolie1971
    Thanks so much for all of your advice! I appreciate you all taking the time to help me out! I will let you know how it goes in a week or two.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head there. I don't use a HRM, and I enter all my exercise as 1 calorie. (If I have a particularly active day, I will log some of my exercise). I custom set my calories to TDEE -15%, and its been working for me.

I am guessing that some of your weight gain probably has to do with TOM. However, it is also possible that your weight is not changing much because you are swapping out fat for muscle. Its a good idea to have a better gage of progress, like tape measure/body fat measurement/way clothes are fitting.

Be encouraged, and hang in there! Consistency is so very important!