Was my dietician/trainer just full of it?

graysmom2005
graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
In January I couldn't lose my 8 pounds gained over Christmas to save my life. I decided to go and get metabolism testing done by a trainer/dietician at one of the gyms I work for.

He told me I needed to add MORE cardio to my 10 class schedule, but make sure I was in my low "fat burning zone". We did a test and showed that I burned much more fat at lower heart rates...carbs in the zones I was in during most my workouts.

He told me to up my protein (did that)

And not matter WHAT my burn, 1700 on rest days, 1900 on regular workout days, 2200 on big workout days...no more. Ever. That was the limit.

I DID lose the 8 pounds and felt great, but then stalled. again. Most of this stuff seems totally negated by what I've seen in this group. Was all this advice very wrong? :flowerforyou:

Oh...and I found out my BMR was 1607.

Replies

• rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Not sure what you're asking but I took a look at your diary and it is PERFECT!! (in my opinion) So I wouldn't change that.

If your ticker is up to date it looks like you are near or at goal. So I wouldn't change that.

You obviously LOVE your Spinning, so I wouldn't change that.

You are eating VERY WELL, doing what you LOVE and LOOK AMAZING, I wouldn't change ONE SINGLE THING!
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    MORE cardio?!?! holy cripes, i don't know how he even said that with a straight face. that's crazy talk. if the huge amount of what you were doing wasn't getting it done then obvs more of the exact same thing just doesn't seem the logical answer. at least he wasn't telling you to eat 1200, but he was telling you to net below your BMR considering how much you work out. so, yeah, i think he was just full of it.

i'm going to check out your diary now since rosie said it was perfect. always on the hunt for new food ideas :)
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    I DEF do not think you need MORE cardio, lol...

You've been doing great, girl. :flowerforyou:

I recommend checking out this similar thread, where I had a few words to say on this topic: :grumble:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/582924-conflicting-info-from-trainer-hmm

Beware, my post is long.....but, really, would you expect anything less? :tongue:

Kiki
  • rmk20togo
    rmk20togo Posts: 353 Member
    I had the same trainer experience. I had a hydrostatic BF test and the oxygen metabolism test done. My BMR (technically RMR since I wasn't asleep when they test it) was 1613 :noway: :noway: :noway: which is 14% higher than it should be..........YAY ME!!

By his calculations 1613 (BMR) + 483 (his calculation for daily activity w/desk job) + 450 (average I burn w/exercise) = 2546 and he told me to GROSS 1291-1613. :sad: :sad: For that I paid him $100.

I'm on board with Kiki, even if I don't lose these last 15#. It's worth the extra fat to feel this good.:drinker: