Marathon Training Questions

Hi everyone,

I'm gearing up to run the Baltimore Marathon in October and started training recently. I trained for the 2011 marathon by using the following routine:

Monday - short run (5 miles)
Wednesday - moderate run (8 - 12 miles)
Thursday - short run (5 miles)
Saturday - long run (15 - 20 miles)

I plan to use the same pattern this year, but I wanted to add some weight training and cardio cross-training. I had planned to go to the gym every day and do weight training on a different muscle group everyday of the week, and do 30 minuntes of stairmaster on Tuesday, Friday and Sunday as cardio cross-training. I did this for about a week, but I don't think it is sustainable, especially over 16 weeks. I have a full-time job and have to have some energy left over for work.

Does anyone else do any weight lifting to train for the marathon? How often do you do it? Do you take any rest days? Does anyone do any cardio cross-training?

Thanks for the feedback!

Replies

• FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Yeah i did. Sooner or later, you have to accept that running takes precedence, but if you train smart, you can preserve mass and strength, and maybe even build the smallest amount of strength. Personally, i ran 6 days and trained 4x a week for about 8 weeks, then i reached a point where i cut down to 3 days. If i do another, i'd probably go bare bones and just train twice a week, a good programme would be

Mon: Deadlift, Bench, two accessories

Fri: Squat, OHP, two accessories
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    For the 16 week marathon training, I would put that extra time and energy into running more. You will get far more bang for your buck from running than you will from any other type of cross training when you toe the line outside Camden Yards that October morning.
  • Rsespaniak
    Rsespaniak Posts: 17 Member
    The thing about weight training is that it adds balance by working other muscles. Personally I aim for doing it twice a week. I find when I back off on the weight training is when I tend to get injuries. That said, the running part of marathon training eats up a lot of time, so it can be hard to fit any cross training in.

I noticed you didn't include a rest day in your training and this is another critical component. You need to give your muscles a break so that they can rebuild.