sarahkatara
sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
Questions/concerns/advice/recipes/tips and tricks here :happy:

Replies

• sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Let's get this show on the road!

I'm going to give you all the BEST recipe for a little dish commonly known as shukshuka… YUM!

1 tsp olive oil
    1 bell pepper sliced
    1 hot pepper sliced
    1 medium cooking onion sliced
    4 mushrooms sliced
    1/2 zucchini grated
    3 cloves garlic pressed
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tbsp cumin
    salt & pepper to taste
    1 can whole tomatoes crushed in a separate bowl (these can be pre-crushed in a tin, but they taste way better whole and self crushed… or at least Jamie Oliver tells me that :wink: )
    1/2 can water
    6 eggs (either scrambled or whole)

Preheat oven to 350
    In a big oven proof sauce pan heat oil over medium heat, add in all your veggies and cook until really soft. Add in garlic and spices and cook about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Add water and stir. Let some bubble pop up on the surface and add your eggs, dotted around the pan (Make sure you baste the eggs with the tomato sauce), throw the whole dish in the oven for 15 minutes.
    Serve and enjoy!

This has something like 150 cals for 1 serving (1 egg per serving)
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    That looks awesome! Very filling and nutritious too. I'm going to try something similar for breakfast sometime this weekend!
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Options
    Yum! I can already tell I'm going to love this group!
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    Hey beautiful people! I'm doing homemade pesto sauce with chicken and whole wheat spaghetti (going to try and find Ezekiel pasta- it's all natural grains, so good, complex carbs) with sauteed spinach and garlic on the side. When I make the recipes I will let you know what all is in them. Everything will be made healthily! You CAN still enjoy your favorites ;)
    13519485 Posts: 264
    Options
    Berry Fool

summer-berry-fool-ahero_A1.jpg

Ingredients

50g strawberries, halved
    50g raspberries
    50g low fat cream cheese
    38g low-fat, plain yoghurt
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    6g caster sugar (or sugar substitute, e.g., Stevia, if you wish)

Method

1. Reserve roughly one third of the strawberries and raspberries. Use a hand-held blender or food processor to purée the remainder.
    2. Beat together the cream cheese, yoghurt, vanilla extract and sugar. If using sugar substitute you should grind it into a caster sugar consistency.
    3. Combine half the cream cheese mixture with half the puréed berries.
    4. Reserve a few berries for decoration, then place the remainder in the base of an attractive serving glass.
    5. Top with a layer of the cream cheese mixture, then with a layer of the berry mixture and finally a layer of the puréed berry and cream cheese mixture. Decorate with the reserved fruit and enjoy.

Yields 1 Serving

Nutrition (using Philadelphia Light, Low-Fat Cream Cheese, Chobani Low-Fat, Plain Yoghurt, and real caster sugar)

163 kcal, 8g fat, 136mg sodium, 5g fibre, 6g protein, 19g carbohydrates
  • sullykat
    Options
    ^^^ that looks so good! I'm gonna have that for breakfast tomorrow :happy:
  • vzucco
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite snacks. It is so perfect and summery and everyone loves it, despite it's totally healthy nature!

Simple Mint Pea Dip
    3 cups fresh or frozen green peas
    zest of 1 un-waxed, organic lemon
    3 Tbsp. lemon juice (approx. ½ lemon)
    1 large clove garlic
    ¼ cup packed mint leaves
    2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    1-2 Tbsp. raw tahini (optional, but makes the dip creamy)
    ¼ tsp. sea salt

Directions:
    1. If using frozen peas, leave out to thaw completely, or cook them in step 2. If using raw peas, skip over to step 3.
    2. To blanche the peas (this enhances their sweetness), bring a pot of water to the boil, add peas and cook for 2-3 minutes (no more!). Plunge them into an ice bath or very cold water to halt the cooking process. Set aside.
    3. Put whole clove of garlic in a food processor and pulse to mince. Add the remaining ingredients and blend on high to puree.
    4. Store in an airtight container for 3-4 days, but try to consume as quickly as possible.

This is from the health food blog My New Roots, and if you haven't checked it out yet, do yourself a favor and surf over there right now!
  • sullykat
    Options
    mmmm…. looks really tasty
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    I agree. I don't like- okay, i despise- green peas but i'd like to try this! looks like it would be good with celery or carrot sticks!
  • vzucco
    Options
    I agree. I don't like- okay, i despise- green peas but i'd like to try this! looks like it would be good with celery or carrot sticks!

It doesn't taste like peas!! I promise, just try it. It tastes like mint and lemon and awesome. I tell people it's pea dip and they look at me like I'm weird and then they taste it and they want the recipe! It's friggin delicious. I would not skimp on the tahini
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    As promised, here are ALL of my recipes that I made yesterday!

Let's start with Maple Ricotta Cheesecake bites (aka heaven on earth)

Ingredients

1.75 cups Part Skim Milk Ricotta Cheese (use fat free for lower calories and fat)
    1 cup Whipped Cream Cheese Spread (can substitute fat free or regular cream cheese, not whipped)
    1/2 cup Sugar-free maple syrup
    1/2 cup Non-fat plain Greek yogurt
    1 large egg
    3 large egg whites (I used liquid egg whites, between 1/4-1/3 cup)

Method

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Put all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until completely smooth with no lumps. Spray muffin pan with non-stick spray. Pour into muffin tin (use mini muffin pan to yield about 55 quarter-sized bites at 25 calories each) or ramekins. Also, there will be enough cheesecake mix to make a whole cake. Feel free to use a round cake pan to make the cheesecake to cut into slices.
    Bake for 20 mins or until slightly golden brown on top. the cheesecake may collapse a bit when you take it out. If you need to cook it for longer, do so. You want it to be slightly firm on top with not a lot of wiggle when you gently touch the center of it.
    If you use a mini muffin pan and yield approximately 55 bites, it's 25 calories per bite! If you wanted to make slightly larger ones you're still only looking at around 50-60 cals for each regular muffin-sized cheesecake!

Nutrition (made my way)

Per Serving:
    25 calories
    1 g carbs
    2 g fat
    1 g protein
    25 mg sodium
    0 g sugar

NOM NOM NOM!
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    Turkey Chili

This is lean, quick to make, and makes about 7-8, 1 cup servings. It's delicious with a little shredded cheddar cheese and light sour cream mixed in :drinker:

Ingredients

1 container (16 oz ea.) Ground Turkey
    1 (15.5 oz) can Black Beans
    1 (15.5oz) can red/white kidney beans
    2 medium yellow onions, chopped (about 3 cups)
    1 cup chicken broth (I use low-sodium and fat-free)
    1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes
    1 tbsp cumin
    2 tbsp chili powder
    1 tbsp mustard
    1 tbsp oregano

Toppings

Scallions
    Cilantro
    Black olives

Method

Sautee onions until soft and almost turning brown. Add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink. Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce to a simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Yields 7-8, 1- cup servings!

Nutrition

Per 1 cup serving:

270 calories
    29 g carbs
    11 g fat
    19 g protein
    760 mg sodium
    7 g sugar
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    Mashed Coconut Sweet Potatoes

Ingredients

3 medium Sweet Potatoes
    1/3 cup Silk Vanilla Coconut Milk (may use unsweetened coconut milk for reduced calories/sugar)
    1 tbsp cinnamon

Method

Poke deep holes in the potatoes with a fork and microwave them on a plate for 15 minutes. Cut open lengthwise once finished and let cool. Peel skin away from the sweet potato flesh. Place the sweet potatoes, coconut milk, and cinnamon in a food processor and process until smooth!

Nutrition (per 1/2 cup serving)

70 calories
    15 g carbs
    0 g fat
    1 g protein
    44 mg sodium
    6 g sugar

SOOOOO YUMMY!
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    Basil Parmesan Pesto sauce

Ingredients

1/4 cup Pine Nuts
    2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1/3 cup warm water
    2 cups fresh basil leaves
    4-8 tbsp parmesan cheese (depends on your tastes)

Method

Place everything in a food processor and blend until all of the nuts are blended in. The sauce will NOT be smooth. That is ok. Yields about 8 tbsps

Nutrition (per tbsp)

74 calories
    1 g carbs
    7 g fat
    3 g protein
    85 mg sodium
    0 g sugar

Use it on whole wheat pasta or whole grain/wild rice with chicken :happy:
  • mbroskey
    mbroskey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    love all these thanks everyone!!!!
  • sullykat
    Options
    Sarah, YOU, my dear, sound like a genius in the kitchen! Bravo!

I'm going to post things as I make them… I <3 to cook!!!!! Unfortunately, the majority of the time I have no one to cook for :(
  • vzucco
    Options
    Watermelon Salsa "recipe" (I put this in quotes because really it's more of a suggestion)

Cherry tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Onion (I used sweet onion because they don't make me cry as much!)
    Jalapeno pepper- as much kick as you want
    Cilantro- I like A LOT
    Lime juice- fresh squeezed please
    Watermelon
    salt & pepper to taste

Dice everything as small as you like and mix it all together. If you like more tomato, add more. If you want it more spicy, add jalapeno. I'd say you want an equal amount of tomato and watermelon. Feel free to add whatever's in your fridge that might go well, like bell pepper or something. This is just what I had on hand. Enjoy! So yummy
  • sarahkatara
    Options
    WANTED: LOW CARB/HIGH PROTEIN, EASY RECIPES.

GO!!!
  • chickenrider
    Options
    Here is one of my favorite breakfasts in the world, since it is so fast to make, and the calorie count is so low.

456523_10150910727881033_391753985_o.jpg

Breakfast in a cup: 289 calories

Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 1 cup (8 fl oz) 2cal
    Cherry Tomatoes - Fresh, 2 tomato 8cal
    Eggs Scrambled - Scrambled, 2 Egg Scrambled 140cal
    Carrots - Baby, raw, 1 medium 4cal
    Kraft Singles - 2% Milk American Cheese Slices, 1 Slice 45cal
    Aldi Breakfast Best - Original Pork Sausage Patties, 1 cooked patties (54g) 90cal

The great thing is on a fast paced morning, this can be made in a microwave safe cup in the microwave. Put in the eggs, carrots and sausage, then microwave for one minute. Stir it all up and cut the sausage up, then add the tomatoes and the cheese, microwave for another minute and it is done! Just put cheese on the top and it will melt from the heat. Tastes delicious. Sometimes I put salt and pepper on it, but not this morning.

On a normal day I would use turkey sausage and mozzarella cheese, but I had neither of those this morning :( So I had to improvise. Also, sorry for the pic being so huge, I have not figured out how to make it smaller yet :) Enjoy.
  • chickenrider
    Options
    470414_10150910953256033_1840322265_o.jpg

Lunch: 218 calories

Fruit - Kiwi , 1 whole kiwi, peeled 46cal
    Cherry Tomatoes - Fresh, 3 tomato 12cal
    Peach - Peach Fresh Fruit, 5 oz 57cal
    Veg - Usda - Bell Peppers, 0.5 medium pepper (~5.3 oz) 13cal
    Daisy Brand - Low Fat Cottage Cheese 2% Small Curd, 1/2 cup (113.5g) 90cal

Really hope the picture is smaller...if anyone can tell me how to make it smaller that would be excellent :)