Food & Nutrition

2»

Replies

• I take photos of everything I eat and the calories included on my FB page, check it out if you like. That way if I forget to post here, you can see it on there.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150909312386033.417640.652501032&type=3&l=30def975c3
  • Dinner was awesome, I had my 13 year old make dinner so I could see what his idea of a balanced meal was. This is what I got!

456542_10150911528166033_1003174484_o.jpg

263 calories

Great Value - Frozen Thinly Sliced Chicken Breast, 0.5 PIECE (112G0 70cal
    Green - Bell Pepper, 1 ounce 6cal
    Carrots - Baby, raw, 3 medium 11cal
    Home Prepared - Cous Cous - Cooked, 1 cup 176cal

***Please someone tell me how to make the pictures smaller***
  • vzucco
    vzucco Posts: 229
    Tried this on the general forums and I'm getting NO responses, it's infuriating! My boss just asked me to make all our lunches for the company. I have a 30 dollar a week budget and I have to feed 3 women (including myself) 5 lunches. I need ideas! I only get 30 dollars so I can't get too fancy and I want to avoid bringing extra stuff from home. Help!
  • Tried this on the general forums and I'm getting NO responses, it's infuriating! My boss just asked me to make all our lunches for the company. I have a 30 dollar a week budget and I have to feed 3 women (including myself) 5 lunches. I need ideas! I only get 30 dollars so I can't get too fancy and I want to avoid bringing extra stuff from home. Help!

Something economical and healthy is a rollup.

Tortilla shell with mustard, sliced deli meat and a pickle. Roll it up and cut it in half. Filling and tasty :) Maybe some bottles of water and a fruit to go along with it.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Tried this on the general forums and I'm getting NO responses, it's infuriating! My boss just asked me to make all our lunches for the company. I have a 30 dollar a week budget and I have to feed 3 women (including myself) 5 lunches. I need ideas! I only get 30 dollars so I can't get too fancy and I want to avoid bringing extra stuff from home. Help!

I like the ideas of roll ups or wraps. Try different types of meats (ham and turkey/chicken are usually the cheapest) and cheeses. Get several different types of condiments (go to the dollar store for these!). Mayo, mustard (dijon and yellow), horseradish sauce, oil/vinegar, and a shaker of italian herbs.
    Also, you could buy pre-cooked sliced chicken (Tyson sells some, along with steak too), a few big bags of romaine, spring mix, or raw spinach, and a bag of croutons. Other yummy toppings: dried raisins/cranberries, tomatoes, red onion, GARBANZO BEANS! (great source of protein and CHEAP). Use oil and vinegar to keep it light and healthy and also cost effective. I also enjoy Hidden Valley's Ranch powder. It adds a really nice kick to salads! Throw some nuts in too, like almonds (i put mine in a small bag and pound them once or twice to get them to split for easier eating in a salad). This will make BIG and very filling salads. Hard boiled eggs are also awesome for this!
    Hope these ideas help a little! If I come up with anymore I'll definitely post again!
  • sarahkatara
    So, I made a KILLER quiche last night! It is almost 100% clean. The only not fully clean food is the organic whole wheat crust. See notes for variations :)

Almost Clean Spinach and Parmesan Quiche

2/3 cup Grated Parmesan cheese
    16 oz carton Egg Whites
    Sundried tomatoes, about 10 pieces (NOT packed in oil) - cut these up into smaller strips or chunks to make it go further.
    2-3 cups Spinach, Raw
    9" pie crust- I used a premade, totally organic kind from Wholly Wholesome. I had to go to Whole Foods for this.
    1-2 tsp olive oil
    2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
    Italian seasoning to taste- I used 6 tsp and it was a little heavy but I like the flavor.

These are the exact ingredients and amounts I used in my recipe:

Great Value - 100% Parmesan Grated Cheese, 12 Tbsp
    Spice Classics - Italian Seasoning, 6 tsp
    Whole Foods 365 Organic - Sundried Tomatoes, 10 pieces
    Great Value Original Liquid Eggs 16 oz Carton - Egg Whites, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Spinach - Raw, 2.5 cup
    Spices - Pepper, black, 1 tsp
    Wholly Wholesome - Organic Whole Wheat 9" Pie Shell, 1 pie crust
    Great Value - 100% Pure Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 0.66 tbsp (15ml)

Directions:

Preheat over to 350 F. Sautee spinach and garlic in 1-2 tsp olive oil. Sautee until leaves just start becoming soft and condense. Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix well. Pour mixture into pie crust. Bake at 350F for 45 minutes. There should be no liquid when poked with a toothpick or knife. Cut into 8 slices. REALLY easy and DELISH!

Nutrition facts for 1/8 of recipe:

Calories: 197
    Fat: 12
    Protein: 11
    Carbs: 13
    Sodium: 414
    Sugar: 4

Enjoy!
  • sarahkatara
    I also made a fresh, summery quinoa salad last night.

Clean Eating Quinoa Summer Salad

Note: you can add ANY veggies to this. I just used what I had in the fridge.

1/2 cup serving size

1 cup dry quinoa (makes 3 cups cooked)
    1-2 large carrots, diced
    1-2 large celery stalks, diced
    1/2 of a red pepper, diced
    Juice of 1 fresh lemon
    1 cup cilantro (or to taste)

Directions:
    Cook quinoa according to package. Put in the refrigerator immediately to cool down. Prepare your veggies and herbs. Once the quinoa is cooled, add everything else to it in a tupperware or big bowl and stir well. Make sure to use that lemon juice too!

Exact ingredients and amounts I used:

Whole Foods 365 - Organic Quinoa, 1 cup dry
    Earthbound Farm Organic - Bunched & Cello Carrots (Whole), 1.5 carrot (7" long, 1.25" diameter)
    Peppers - Sweet, red, raw, 0.5 cup, chopped
    Celery - Raw, 0.5 cup chopped
    Lemon juice - Raw, 3 wedge yields
    Fresh Raw (Nutritiondata.Com) - Cilantro, 1 oz

Nutrition (1/2 cup):

Calories: 121
    Fat: 2
    Carbs: 23
    Protein: 5
    Sodium: 26
    Sugar: 2
  • findingmyhappyplace
    findingmyhappyplace Posts: 75 Member
    I would go for:

Pasta (pasta itself is very cheap, if you grab a cheap store bought tomato based sauce and throw in some veg that will do the job)
    Stir fry (double up the veg from pasta day to save money, then all you need is rice and a store bought sauce)
    Soup and bread (dead easy to make from scratch with your veg of choice)
    Daal (serve with left over rice from stir fry day)
    Chilli (more left over rice! And any left over veg too)

Your shopping list would basically be:
    Pasta (1 day worth)
    Rice (3 days worth)
    Veggies (5 days worth, bulk buy)
    Bread (1 days worth)
    Lentils (1 days worth)
    A jar each of pasta sauce and stir fry sauce
    A few herbs and spices for the daal and chilli
    Vegetable stock for the soup
    And then see where your budget is, and buy meat or fish to add to the chilli/pasta/stir fry if you can afford it.
  • OK, so for almost 2 weeks I have been stuffing fruits and veggies into every meal...I never used to at all. But, I always go over my cal count because I wanted a cup of watermelon or a few cherry tomatoes for a snack...are there any zero cal fruits or vegetables I can eat in order to stay in the numbers?

I posted this in the public forum instead of our group by accident ughh...wish I could delete it
  • vzucco
    OK, so for almost 2 weeks I have been stuffing fruits and veggies into every meal...I never used to at all. But, I always go over my cal count because I wanted a cup of watermelon or a few cherry tomatoes for a snack...are there any zero cal fruits or vegetables I can eat in order to stay in the numbers?

I posted this in the public forum instead of our group by accident ughh...wish I could delete it

leafy greens and cucumber come to mind. They are not zero calorie but very close. I wouldn't worry about going over on veggies though. Don't ever feel bad about eating tomatoes! or watermelon. But that's just my opinion.
  • vzucco
    Thank you guys for your lunch ideas. Just finishing out my first week of cooking and I made:

Monday: No Mayo Chicken Salad (made w/ avocado instead) on lettuce w/ pita chips and hummus
    Tuesday: Light Taco Salad- Lettuce w/ Cilantro Honey Lime dressing, black beans and cucumber w/ ground turkey, 2% cheddar cheese, and whole wheat tortilla chips
    Wednesday: Turkey & Mushroom Chili w/ cheese & tortilla chips
    Thursday: Quinoa & other grains w/ cilantro honey lime dressing, beans, turkey sausage & avocado (weird but it worked!)
    Friday: I'm thinking another salad for today. They both fell in love with the homemade dressing and want to eat it every day!

Next week: wraps galore!
  • sarahkatara
    Thank you guys for your lunch ideas. Just finishing out my first week of cooking and I made:

Monday: No Mayo Chicken Salad (made w/ avocado instead) on lettuce w/ pita chips and hummus
    Tuesday: Light Taco Salad- Lettuce w/ Cilantro Honey Lime dressing, black beans and cucumber w/ ground turkey, 2% cheddar cheese, and whole wheat tortilla chips
    Wednesday: Turkey & Mushroom Chili w/ cheese & tortilla chips
    Thursday: Quinoa & other grains w/ cilantro honey lime dressing, beans, turkey sausage & avocado (weird but it worked!)
    Friday: I'm thinking another salad for today. They both fell in love with the homemade dressing and want to eat it every day!

Next week: wraps galore!

Wow, that is awesome! Props!!!