Is this heavy enough?

graysmom2005
graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
Hey guys. Since I'm basically left with no heavy lifting time in my schedule, I was wondering if my Bodypump weight selections were "good enough".

If the bar weighs 5 pounds..think...I do the following...
7.5lb each side for warmup

Squats I use 17.5 each side plus bar (5)

Chest 12.5 each side plus bar

Back/clean and press/ dead lift etc 17.5 each side

Triceps 10lbs each side

Biceps 10lbs each side

Lunges usually chest weight

Shoulders I can only use the 5 pounds as free plates as my hands are too small to hold the 7.5. Grumble!
overhead presses I'll use 12.5 both sides

Now granted these are not massively heavy, but by the end of class I've done over 800 reps. So low weight/high rep. I try and use "role model" weight. Are these passible if I can't fit in Heavy? Thanks!

Replies

• dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    It's hard to give a good reply not knowing what Bodypump is like... It seems like you are using a good amount for the number of reps. If your muscles are feeling challenged and you're seeing the results you want shape-wise, I would say you're using the right amount.
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 994 Member
    I'm trying to remember back when I did the class. I think those weights sound heavy enough. I now for squats I always measured by if I was sweating at my elbows by the end of the set. Chest I measured by if I felt like I could make it okay for the entire song. If it was easy then I went up in weight. If I struggled then I stayed there.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Oh my, it really isn't possible to do heavy lifting in an endurance session. There is a huge difference. Heavy lifting causes hypertrophy and you gain strength. It isn't possible doing body pump. Now you can beautifully sculpt the muscles but you will not cause hypertropy...sorry:frown:
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Oh my, it really isn't possible to do heavy lifting in an endurance session. There is a huge difference. Heavy lifting causes hypertrophy and you gain strength. It isn't possible doing body pump. Now you can beautifully sculpt the muscles but you will not cause hypertropy...sorry:frown:

^^^This

Is this a class - at a gym? If you are at a gym, why not think about skipping the class and spend that 45 or so minutes lifting heavy? If this is at home, there are lots of exercises you can do that leverage body weight for size and strength.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler57.htm
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/basictraining.htm
  • aj_31
    aj_31 Posts: 994 Member

^^^This

Is this a class - at a gym? If you are at a gym, why not think about skipping the class and spend that 45 or so minutes lifting heavy? If this is at home, there are lots of exercises you can do that leverage body weight for size and strength.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mahler57.htm
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/tipsandtricks/a/basictraining.htm

I would agree if you are looking for heavy lifting then skip BP altogether and hit the weights. If you are asking if those are good weights for BP class I'd say yes but like Lucia said you aren't going to gain from it. I did however use BP to lose a lot of body weight when I first started at the gym. It was a great class to get me started but you teach right classes right? If so I'd go straight to the weights.
  • graysmom2005
    LOL at the elbow sweat. I always say that's a Bodypump trademark. :-D I can't skip the class as *I* am the one teaching it. Haha.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Yes, your situation is so delicate, because you are teaching the classes. It just makes it tough to fit it in. Could you possibly squeeze in a quick 5x5 workout once or twice /wk.? Just hit the main body parts w/some heavy compound lifts?

~Kiki
  • jackiecroberts
    jackiecroberts Posts: 115 Member
    If your class is anything like our barbell strength class then it sounds to me like you are doing an awesome job!! you have such a unique problem that most of us do not have, your job is teaching all of these classes and then trying to consume enough calories!! I so admire you for being with this group and realizing that you do need calories to fuel your workouts. Anyway, I am rambling, yes I think you are lifting enough.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Kiki,

Do you know how much working out she does? Sometimes 2 or 3 classes the same day right? To squeeze something else in whew...ouch! Lol

Lucia
  • nostripewhite
    nostripewhite Posts: 53 Member
    If you work your muscles to exhaustion, you will gain strength.
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Kiki,

Do you know how much working out she does? Sometimes 2 or 3 classes the same day right? To squeeze something else in whew...ouch! Lol

Lucia

Lol. 5x5 is only 3 exercises, that's why I said it. 3 exercises, 1x/wk just to give an example of how to fit it in.

Ideally, some of the cardio should go, which is what I would tell anyone else, but can't tell anyone to quit their job... :-/

If strength is not included at some point, skinny fat will run rampant. There will be NO muscle, eventually, to keep going at this rate..which doesn't sound like her goal.

So if she wants muscle, something has to be done to counterbalance all that cardio. If gaining muscle isn't an issue, then keep doing whatcha doing ;)

~Kiki
  • graysmom2005
    My schedule has CHANGED for the Summer. I've dropped a few classes! New schedule...ahem....LOL

Monday Pump (Take Bodyjam- dance class)

Tuesday Bodycombat/CXWORX (30 minute core strength class)

Wednesday Spin/Pump/CX

Thursday OFF (I usually TAKE Bodyflow which is a yoga/pilates class)

Friday OFF

Saturday spin

Sunday Bodypump