TMI maybe but asking anyways.....

aj_31
aj_31 Posts: 994 Member
How much do you think going #2 affects your weight loss numbers? I used to go on a regular basis - as in daily or sometimes multiple times a day. Now I'm lucky if I go maybe 2-3 times a week. Do you think this affects our scale results or maybe even our measuring results?

And I find it weird that I had such a change in my system. Not sure what to think of that either.

Replies

• ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Oh my, I usually hear the increased calories helps increase elimination. Are you using powdered fiber? It caused issues with constipation for me. And fecal matter does add weight...I have weighed myself before and after when I had "issues"...lol.
  • aj_31
    Oh my, I usually hear the increased calories helps increase elimination. Are you using powdered fiber? It caused issues with constipation for me. And fecal matter does add weight...I have weighed myself before and after when I had "issues"...lol.

No I'm not unless it is in something I'm not aware of. Yeah ever since my diet got better I've had this issue. When I went to mexico on the 11th I was going just fine - so much so when I got back on the 16th I had to take imodium because I kind of got the travelers bug. But since then I'm back to never going. I don't know why. Its so weird.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Your body is probably in shock and hanging on to all the calories it can... More water and a fiber supplement should help, or a strong cup of coffee each morning. It does make a difference. For instance this morning, I weighed 124.6, and after a cup of strong coffee, and a trip to the restroom, I weighed 122.8. Part of that was water weight as the coffee is a diuretic as well, but it probably helps to answer your question, especially if you are constipated. But know the large intestine's job is to reabsorb liquid from the fecal mater, including some nutrients. So the longer it sits there, the harder and dryer it becomes and thus doesn't weigh what you think it would.
  • aj_31
    Your body is probably in shock and hanging on to all the calories it can... More water and a fiber supplement should help, or a strong cup of coffee each morning. It does make a difference. For instance this morning, I weighed 124.6, and after a cup of strong coffee, and a trip to the restroom, I weighed 122.8. Part of that was water weight as the coffee is a diuretic as well, but it probably helps to answer your question, especially if you are constipated. But know the large intestine's job is to reabsorb liquid from the fecal mater, including some nutrients. So the longer it sits there, the harder and dryer it becomes and thus doesn't weigh what you think it would.

Thanks. Yeah I was thinking of taking something for this because even coffee doesn't seem to work. Say like Monday morning when I'd come to work I'd get cup from the little store and after drinking it or even half way though I'd have to go. Now nothing. Not eve that is helping me anymore. After coming back from Mexico the scale was inching down because I was going but now that I'm not and because of the sodium I had it's back up there again. So fraustrating.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    there have been some people who report getting constipated AFTER taking something like immodium. It's possible your system just over compensated with the medication causing a blockage. You may need to take a stool softener just to get things started again?

Also, it never hurts to increase fibre and water to ensure things keep moving smoothly. Especially after a bout of diarrhea because you need to rehydrate your body. :smile:
  • aj_31
    there have been some people who report getting constipated AFTER taking something like immodium. It's possible your system just over compensated with the medication causing a blockage. You may need to take a stool softener just to get things started again?

Also, it never hurts to increase fibre and water to ensure things keep moving smoothly. Especially after a bout of diarrhea because you need to rehydrate your body. :smile:

Thanks. I do have some stool softeners at home so I will take one of those for the next couple of days or maybe every other day depending on how my body reacts. I'm getting at least 80 oz of water a day if not more. But even before my trip I was having this issue. For some reason my body just doesn't get rid of waste like it used to.
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    Flaxseed helped me with this issue... Ever since I added it to my diet, I went from every few days to a very predictable daily schedule. I thought this change was strange since I have had this issue for years and so I googled "flax constipation" and sure enough it's a home remedy for it.

Maybe a little TMI, lol, but hope it helps! :)
  • ItsPheebs
    ItsPheebs Posts: 127 Member
    I hope you don't mind, but I looked at your diary to see why you might be having these "issues" .. :) . I do a little mini "detox" every morning, which is basically just fruit on an empty stomach and lots of water. I'll eat my regular breakfast about 30 minutes after. I would say to add more raw veggies, fruit, and lots of water. Your sodium is a little high, too, so that could amplify the problem. You could also add in some good whole grains like a good cereal or oatmeal (light bread is lower on calories but not as good for you). I agree with flaxseed, too.
  • nutritionwhiz
    nutritionwhiz Posts: 221
    I would suggest setting your fiber goal to 30 grams and add it to your tracker so you can see how often you are meeting the goal :happy:
  • Establishedn1986
    Establishedn1986 Posts: 306 Member
    The same thing is happening to me. I'm having a tough time keeping sodium low. But no BM's even before the high sodium intake. Im going to try coffee on an empty stomach and hope it helps!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I have been constipated pretty much my entire life until I started eating more. I always ate tons of fibre, drank lots of water, flaxseed, lemon water etc., lots of fruit and veg and that never made a difference for me. Since I started eating more I go every day now.

And yes it does affect your weigh in but you would still be trending downwards. I can be anywhere from 1-4 lbs difference.
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Have you increased your protein significantly? When I first got into protein powder I started ordering it online. They also sent some fiber powder with it for free. After a bit I figured out why......

I have never been constipated in my life and always regular and I noticed when a day or two would pass. Not constipation but not my everyday routine either. I started using the Fitness Fiber they had sent and it helped. Then I sort of fell out of the protein powder thing.

This time around I do notice a little difference...but nothing that I feel I need to take anything for.

Edit to add, that first time I increased my protein I also was trying low carb for the first time. I had tried everything else so I finally caved and figured WTH. I was eating plenty of fiber but not from normal whole grain/wheat carbs and starchy vegs and fruits.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Normal bowel movements are 2-3 times a day. I slow way down when I eat cheese more than a few times a week:sick:
  • aj_31
    Flaxseed helped me with this issue... Ever since I added it to my diet, I went from every few days to a very predictable daily schedule. I thought this change was strange since I have had this issue for years and so I googled "flax constipation" and sure enough it's a home remedy for it.

Maybe a little TMI, lol, but hope it helps! :)

Thanks I'll pick some of that up and give it a try.
  • aj_31
    I hope you don't mind, but I looked at your diary to see why you might be having these "issues" .. :) . I do a little mini "detox" every morning, which is basically just fruit on an empty stomach and lots of water. I'll eat my regular breakfast about 30 minutes after. I would say to add more raw veggies, fruit, and lots of water. Your sodium is a little high, too, so that could amplify the problem. You could also add in some good whole grains like a good cereal or oatmeal (light bread is lower on calories but not as good for you). I agree with flaxseed, too.

thanks for taking a look. I know my sodium has been high lately with some of my food choices. the chili i made set me over on that. I will try and get in more veggies/fruits to see if that helps some. this weekend i plan on doing a major meal planning session to get better at my eating.
  • aj_31
    Have you increased your protein significantly? When I first got into protein powder I started ordering it online. They also sent some fiber powder with it for free. After a bit I figured out why......

I have never been constipated in my life and always regular and I noticed when a day or two would pass. Not constipation but not my everyday routine either. I started using the Fitness Fiber they had sent and it helped. Then I sort of fell out of the protein powder thing.

This time around I do notice a little difference...but nothing that I feel I need to take anything for.

I am trying to up my protein and I have become a regular of using protein powder after I get home from lifting at night. Maybe that is what is causing it.
    Edit to add, that first time I increased my protein I also was trying low carb for the first time. I had tried everything else so I finally caved and figured WTH. I was eating plenty of fiber but not from normal whole grain/wheat carbs and starchy vegs and fruits.
  • quie618
    quie618 Posts: 102 Member
    I swear by Smooth Move tea!
  • chayleah
    chayleah Posts: 51 Member
    Cheapest easiest thing to try....room temperature water 1st thing in the morning on an empty stomach. Been doing it for the past 2 weeks and it works within 5-10u minutes.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    A tablespoon of mineral oil gets me going if I need it, but after years of not being reg., eating this way has me on track most of the time!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    I've had major issues in this department! Increasing calories always seems to help me, as does having enough healthy fats. Flaxseed and chia seed are also good to get things moving, but after doing low calorie dieting for so long, I needed something a little more "aggressive". :/ I've had some relief from taking a supplement called psyllium husk in the morning and evening, but honestly, I think you will find once you increase calories that things will normalize.