Taking that first step (changing eating habits) help!

ProjectTae
ProjectTae Posts: 434 Member
Hello my MFP friends! So I restarted mfp on Apirl 26th a little over a month ago, I did the 1200 calorie diet for 1 day... then said HELL NO!! Quickly upped to 1670 I believe, with no eating back exercise cals, at the time I was only doing the shred and maybe bicycling every now and then, but only burned around 200-250cals per workout so was netting around 1300-1400, I still felt tired and fatigued so did my TDEE calculations-21% and got 1970. Well I loved loved loved my new cal goal! and I have to admit that I've basically been eating crap or w/e I wanted, basically only paying attention to my cal goal. I still think it's too soon to jump the gun and say it's not working for me (since one day I did actually weigh in at 160lbs). But what's the point of losing and then retaining water or being bloated everyday due to my bad eating habits!
So since its been 3 weeks exactly today and I've seen no change in the scale (3-5lb fluctuation and more times that not in the wrong direction!) I've decided that It can't hurt to go three more weeks while sticking to a strict meal plan! But the problem is I have no idea where to start I'm barely 18yrs old still in high school, I live with my parents, no income on my part, and practically no say in the grocery list, Not to mention I cannot cook (I screwed up a grilled cheese sandwich last month). So I have no idea where to start! Where did you start? I need simple recipes that only require average everyday ingredients. Also, I need tips... basically I'm starting from square one.
If you're serious about helping me please add me and I'll give you the code to my diary so you can see (oh the horror) what foods I typically eat and suggest what I should cut back on, cut out, and add more of!
Thanks in advance <3

Replies

• ProjectTae
    Just had a lovely scroll through all of the before and afters for this group, feeling even more motivated now ;)
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Hello my MFP friends! So I restarted mfp on Apirl 26th a little over a month ago, I did the 1200 calorie diet for 1 day... then said HELL NO!! Quickly upped to 1670 I believe, with no eating back exercise cals, at the time I was only doing the shred and maybe bicycling every now and then, but only burned around 200-250cals per workout so was netting around 1300-1400, I still felt tired and fatigued so did my TDEE calculations-21% and got 1970. Well I loved loved loved my new cal goal! and I have to admit that I've basically been eating crap or w/e I wanted, basically only paying attention to my cal goal. I still think it's too soon to jump the gun and say it's not working for me (since one day I did actually weigh in at 160lbs). But what's the point of losing and then retaining water or being bloated everyday due to my bad eating habits!
    So since its been 3 weeks exactly today and I've seen no change in the scale (3-5lb fluctuation and more times that not in the wrong direction!) I've decided that It can't hurt to go three more weeks while sticking to a strict meal plan! But the problem is I have no idea where to start I'm barely 18yrs old still in high school, I live with my parents, no income on my part, and practically no say in the grocery list, Not to mention I cannot cook (I screwed up a grilled cheese sandwich last month). So I have no idea where to start! Where did you start? I need simple recipes that only require average everyday ingredients. Also, I need tips... basically I'm starting from square one.
    If you're serious about helping me please add me and I'll give you the code to my diary so you can see (oh the horror) what foods I typically eat and suggest what I should cut back on, cut out, and add more of!
    Thanks in advance <3

Hello and welcome! I would recommend checking out some books on clean eating from your library. One that really helped me is called The Eat Clean Diet Recharged. There are also some great websites out there that are good resources. One of my favorites is www.thegraciouspantry.com. Simple recipes that dont require you to spend alot of time in the kitchen.

Right now I am on vacation, so my eating is most definitely not clean! But feel free to send me a FR and check out my diary for ideas. I eat clean( at least to me, it seems everyone has different definitions of "clean eating") about 80% of the time and leave room for some treats!

I would recommend keeping your food choices as simple as possible as you make the transition to cleaner eating. Once you get more accustomed to what foods you "can" eat, then you can start combining things to make your meals a bit more interesting.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    I agree with the pp

Keep it simple in the beginning

Cut out junk food and processed food. It will take you a while so take it slowly. You will get there eventually. Try to incorporate as much fruit and veg as you can. Try to cook simple recipes yourself-it's not hard-believe me.

Will send you a friend request
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Hi there and Welcome!

The very first thing I want to say is you are doing this the RIGHT WAY and DO NOT fall into all the crazy diet scams out there!
    If you read through some of the sticky posts, you will see what all of that can do to your body and stay with you for your whole life!!
    You will stuck with a "weight problem" for the rest of your life and you don't want that, believe me!

You don't mention if your parents are "on board" and supportive of your effort to get healthier but I'm going to assume that they are.
    Can you go grocery shopping with your Mom so that 1) you can learn how to do it yourself and 2) you can see what's "out there" for you to eat and 3) show your Mom what you want and 4) you can learn to READ LABELS? (sounds like a lot, I know, but it's not)

Like everyone else said or will say, stay away from fast food on a regular basis (meaning EVERY DAY), try to eat natural foods (think if doesn't come from Mother Nature, try not to eat it EVERY DAY).

One thing that I like to keep in mind is: if a food doesn't have at least ONE thing that is healthy about it, I shouldn't eat it EVERY DAY.
    What I mean by that is to choose foods based on what nutrient they give you.

Things like Fiber One Cereal for the fiber value, Nuts for their GOOD FAT, Lean Meats for their Protein, and all those fruits and veggies for the vitamins and fiber.

When you put a meal together think RED, WHITE AND GREEN on your plate: RED= protein, WHITE= WHOLE GRAIN CARB and GREEN= your veggies.

When you choose Snacks, make your "routine" or daily snacks be what you like but also healthy in some way like:
    100 Calorie Pack Almonds, Fiber One Brownies, Soybeans, Yogurt, and of course Fruit.

So Good Luck to you~ you are well on your way!
  • ProjectTae
    Thank you guys! I just got in and from school and and I'm excited to get started but taking your guys' advice and starting off slowly so I can stick with it, I hope you all don't mind me adding you in case I fall off track! Don't be afraid to put me back in check!
  • konswela
    konswela Posts: 137 Member
    Thanks in advance <3

Hello and welcome! I would recommend checking out some books on clean eating from your library. One that really helped me is called The Eat Clean Diet Recharged. There are also some great websites out there that are good resources. One of my favorites is www.thegraciouspantry.com. Simple recipes that dont require you to spend alot of time in the kitchen.

Right now I am on vacation, so my eating is most definitely not clean! But feel free to send me a FR and check out my diary for ideas. I eat clean( at least to me, it seems everyone has different definitions of "clean eating") about 80% of the time and leave room for some treats!

I would recommend keeping your food choices as simple as possible as you make the transition to cleaner eating. Once you get more accustomed to what foods you "can" eat, then you can start combining things to make your meals a bit more interesting.

Thank you for this website www.thegraciouspantry.com. .. its awesome!!