not afraid to ask a stupid question: TDEE and net

Options
I've been doing this for a week but I swear my brain really struggles with all the acronyms and numbers. I'm going over everything again just to be sure I don't totally screw up on this bloaty reset phase!

My numbers:
CW: 160
GW: 145 maybe
BMR = 1480
TDEE (light activity) = 2035
CUT of 15% = 1730

I've been inactive while coping with a back injury and a stomach virus so I've just been working on eating the TDEE. I make it to the cut number (working up from 1200, which usually made me feel full) this week. But when I start working out, do I "eat back the work out calories" or just keep eating the TDEE regardless?

Replies

• nutritionwhiz
    Options
    So to help clarify

TDEE would be the amount to eat to maintain your current weight.

TDEE-15% would be the amount to be at a deficient and hopefully lose weight! You eat this amount everyday whether you exercise or not.

TDEE takes into account activity so if you figure out your calorie goal this way you do not need to eat back exercise calories.

It is recommended on high burn days that you eat back to your BMR. If you are consistently netting under your BMR then your activity level was probably estimated too low and you need to re-figure your TDEE.

Make sense? :tongue:
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    exercise calories are all ready figured into the TDEE, so eat the 2035.

UNLESS your exercise calories lowers your NET, then eat NET to BMR (1730 NET)
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    exercise calories are all ready figured into the TDEE, so eat the 2035.

UNLESS your exercise calories lowers your NET, then eat NET to BMR (1730 NET)

Welcome! Sounds like you've got some excellent advice! If you are looking to lose, I would recommend eating TDEE-15%. If you are looking to do the metabolism reset for about 4-6 weeks, then eat at TDEE. Don't worry about eating back your exercise calories, unless you are netting under BMR.
  • tiaredgypsie
    Options

Welcome! Sounds like you've got some excellent advice! If you are looking to lose, I would recommend eating TDEE-15%. If you are looking to do the metabolism reset for about 4-6 weeks, then eat at TDEE. Don't worry about eating back your exercise calories, unless you are netting under BMR.

Thanks all! Yes, I'm doing the reset and then looking to lose. I have been severely undereating for a long time. I track using MFP so I know once i add my work outs back in the count is going to want me to eat more than TDEE. I see threads about people making mistakes out of confusion and I don't want that to be me!