How i used my fitbit to workout what i should eat.

Options
Ange_
Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
Ok, i'm posting this so anyone can tell me if i'm going wrong, but also so i can perhaps be an example of how someone can use a Fitbit which more accurately calculates the TDEE.

Ok i've had a fitbit for several months now so i have a pretty good idea of what i burn in total in a day. That includes all exercise, BMR and general activity so in other words the TDEE.

On workout days (about 5 a week) i burn on average 2500
On rest days (2 per week) i burn about 2000

Note my TDEE on rest days is actually higher than my BMR which is about 1600, and this is because despite having a desk job i still do lots of housework gardening etc.

So I worked out the average cals burned in a week to be 2357 cals a day. minus 15% is 2003 cals per day. And this is what i should eat each day.

let me know if i've got it wrong. But otherwise i hope it might help fitbit users who are trying to eat more and still lose.

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Note my TDEE on rest days is actually higher than my BMR which is about 1600, and this is because despite having a desk job i still do lots of housework gardening etc.

Your TDEE is ALWAYS going to be higher than your BMR... Unless you are cryogenically frozen.
    So I worked out the average cals burned in a week to be 2357 cals a day. minus 15% is 2003 cals per day. And this is what i should eat each day.

That sounds about right. So you have your fitbit set to "sedentary" rather than "personalized" (estimates your TDEE throughout the day)?
  • Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    i always realised BMR is higher than TDEE. But it did surprise me how much more calories i burnt without doing any exercise.
    I also was 'dumbing' it down so that i could make myself really clear. :)

My fitbit is actually set to personalised. But i'd like to eat the same number of cals each day, workout day or not. If it eat what it says it has the annoying habit of later on telling me i've eaten too much once it works out at night that it was my rest day.

So i'd like to pretty much use the fitbit to monitor my TDEE encourage me to walk and burn more and ignore it's eating recommendations and work it out on my own.