... on the way!

Options
Desmonema
Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
Right. So now I decided to give the Paleo-diet a proper go soon. Ordered a book and will get the Quick and easy meals soon, too. I'll be on vacation for a week next week and after that I hope I can start it off very strict for a while and see what happens!!

Replies

• twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    My suggestion is to give yourself 2 weeks or so to get into the Paleo zone before going strict - this way it allows you to slowly wean yourself off foods that you may commonly eat but aren't considered Paleo or make changes and swaps to food you eat (like if you drink coffee with sweet stuff - give yourself a few weeks to wean off the sweet stuff - if you are always having oatmeal for breakfast - give yourslef a few weeks to slowly change to something Paleo) - then make a time period to be really strict - some people will do 2 weeks...others 30 days...

By doing this you can make the determination if the lifestyle is a good fit for you and you are less likely to stray off course while being strict...
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I was strict for a few weeks... now this past week has been ridiculously full of FAIL!

I say go for it, jump right in - just don't beat yourself up if you slip. It happens. It's a big change... not that I'm encouraging slacking, but it's not the end of the world if you do. Fixing up your diet a little bit is better than not at all :)

Good luck!
  • Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't actually know whether it will be such a big change for me... I hardly eat any grains or so anyway, most my carbs come from veggies already. I might have a little bit of quinoa or oatmeal as a recovery meal after a long run. I am also already eating in a 40/40/20 ratio and am fine with that. Only thing that I will have to change is probably leaving my beloved peanut butter alone and only have almond butter instead. Protein shakes are also not allowed, I think?
    You guys can check out my diary and see... is that 50% paleo already??
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I *have* to get extra calories into my fiancé, so we use egg white protein powder (I did a make your own version via True Nutrition). You have to do what works for you, and liquid nutrition is what works for him due to some medical issues. I mix it with berries and almond milk, his prescribed laxatives and a little bit of oil. Purely Paleo, no, but it helps keep him healthy.

That aside, I would assume that powdered egg whites on their own might work for a protein shake. I just haven't found them locally yet.