Friendly reminder for all members - please read

Options
cramernh
cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
edited December 2014 in Social Groups
Groups have been wonderful for folks to have a chance to connect with like-minded others on a variety in topics of discussion. However, having said that: Laura_beau and I felt that it would be best to remind everyone that, even though we are an individual group, we are still governed by MyFitnessPal's rules and regulations. We both agree that we do not want our group to ever suffer the possibility of ever being shut down, we have a great group of people and want to maintain all rules that MFP expects us to follow so we can continue being the great group that we are.

Having said that, it seems lately that there is a rise in concerns regarding the category of folks with Eating Disorders and folks who willingly eat well below 1000/1200 calories per day on MFP as a whole. Ive held a few discussions with some of the managers of MFP, and MFP has made a strong stand that those with ED's who are utilizing MFP for their recovery are more than welcome, as outlined in their Community Rules. Here is a direct quote:
3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote or glamorize dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
c ) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
---->d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

After discussing with Laura_beau, we both thought this would be a good reference and a friendly reminder as well.

And in final - please note: MFP has on each and every message board, this clip:
Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

I am asking our members to not take offense if you receive a message from either a Moderator or an MFP member that says "you really should be consulting with a medical professional/doctor and not MFP"... We say things like this because MFP is truly not a physician or viable medical resource. Any and all medical/health/behavioral health related questions can still be discussed but, speaking as someone who actively works in healthcare since 1995, I can definitely tell you that general information is about the only piece of knowledge you will get from anyone and it is advised that you do not accept the recommendations of taking any medications without consulting your primary care physician/general practitioners, injuries and continued exercise really should be directed to the physicians who last treated you. Should someone recommend an OTC, a new prescription medication to try, tell you what exercises is ok to do with an injury, please consider the fact that what was prescribed for that member is based on their individual health and history. It may not apply to you and your individual health and history.

The underlying message of seek the advice of your medical provider is not a personal attack - it is to remind you that this is not a medical website that knows your entire medical history, your labs, your blood workup, your diagnostics, etc. The real resource is available through your primary care physicians.

Thanks!!!

LCDF Moderators
Laura_beau
CramerNH

Replies

• daretodreamskinny
    Options
    New to this site and new to this group. Am trying to lose weight and take off a great deal of weight, but healthfully. Oatmeal for breakfast! Have a bit of stress in my life and I want to live to see it through. Am 53 and overweight. Need to lose a LOT! Not discouraged yet though, even having tried almost every day of my life to lose pounds. . . Sun keeps on shining. This might be what I need. A little group hug once in a while and some encouragement. I've always gone alone in the ways of dieting. . . Anyway, just so you all know where I'm coming from . . . . Very nice to meet you, Katrina:smile:
  • kimmbird
    kimmbird Posts: 55
    Options
    I support you :D
  • deesbees
    deesbees Posts: 3
    Options
    :flowerforyou: New to the group and MBF today. Discouragement come frequently, but don't quit. Do something constructive, take a walk, start a project. Anything to get your mind off feeling like a failure. Keeping weight down is not easy and becomes a daily challenge for many. Good luck. I count carbs and always looking for "comfort food" that is filling and tasty. Salads, grilled chicken and fish get old quick. I try to keep to the slogan, "if it is white don't eat it". Love cheese and would like to get a recipe for a casserole that is low carb. The kind of meat is not important. I use whole wheat pastas. It is an acquired taste, but acceptable after awhile and doctored with herbs.:smile:
  • christie5683
    Options
    New to this site and new to this group. Am trying to lose weight and take off a great deal of weight, but healthfully. Oatmeal for breakfast! Have a bit of stress in my life and I want to live to see it through. Am 53 and overweight. Need to lose a LOT! Not discouraged yet though, even having tried almost every day of my life to lose pounds. . . Sun keeps on shining. This might be what I need. A little group hug once in a while and some encouragement. I've always gone alone in the ways of dieting. . . Anyway, just so you all know where I'm coming from . . . . Very nice to meet you, Katrina:smile:
    Do you bloat after eating oatmeal or whole wheat?
  • christie5683
    Options
    Google Low Carb recipes. There you will find many delicious recipes for LC. ENJOY!!!!
  • steadyrollinwoman
    steadyrollinwoman Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Deesbees! Im not new new here but have been away for awhile. I am making a new commitment to really losing this extra weight I have carried around for way too long. I found a recipe today that sounds really yummy and thought about it again when I read your post. Here it is:

Twice-Baked Cauliflower
    1 large head cauliflower
    4 oz cream cheese
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/4 cup minced green onions
    1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
    4 slices bacon, cooked until very crisp, and then crumbled
    1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut out stem and core from cauliflower, and cut into small pieces. Cook in large pot of boiling salted water until cauliflower is tender, but not overly soft. Drain well and mash with potato masher to desired consistancey. Mix in cream cheese, sour cream, green onion, Parmesan, and 3/4 of the crumbled bacon. Spread evenly in a medium-sized glass casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and reserved bacon. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.

I havent tried it yet so let me know how it turned out if you make it!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    521931_388613464532052_693500810_n.jpg

and thanks for posting the reminders gals! :)

Everyone, please remember,

254850_450832778270117_541631925_n.jpg

adjust calorie deficit monthly and no more than 10% of current weight,

224338_450440848309310_877312355_n.jpg
This discussion has been closed.