my new routine

Options
just want to say thanks to nymph for all his help! been speaking to a few different people and decided i am going for this routine.

still not 100% on all the exercises but happy to learn new things

Mon- Pull:
deadlift 3 x 5
BB row 3 x 5-8
Pullups 3 x 8
DB rows 3 x 10
Incline DB curls 3 x 10

Wed- Push:
Flat bench 3 x 5
Incline db bench 3 x 8-10
military press 3 x 8
dips(weighted) 3 x 5-10
inc db flyes 3 x 10
inc bb french press 3 x 10 (skullchrushers)

Fri- Legs/Abs
Front squat 3 x 5
Bulgarian split squat w/ dbs 3 x 10
Leg curls 3 x 10
Single leg calf raise /w dip belt 3 x 10
Hanging leg raises 3 x 10

anyone have any opinions?

Replies

• slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty awesome to me mate. I'm sure we'll see results in no time!
  • delmc1
    delmc1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    looks excellent pal ,the pull ups are going to kill ya after deads and rows ,but if it u hit em your a legend
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Looks decent.

If I wanted to nitpick, I'd say it's a bit too slanted toward upper body work, and that you only have one hip-dominant movement.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    cool, i like the routine and gonna give it a go, its actually slightly less demanding then my current but i think it should help me grow, trying to get huge lol
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Looks decent.

If I wanted to nitpick, I'd say it's a bit too slanted toward upper body work, and that you only have one hip-dominant movement.

that was my first thought as well.

personally i'd ditch the calf raises and add some over head squats or goblet squats.
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    personally, i'd split the first two days and mix them together.

antagonistic movements paired together.

so...
    squats first. then bench, then row, then dips, then pullups for example.

then on the second day, it might run like this:
    deadlifts, then DB press, then row, then skullscrusher, then bb curl.

then it if it was me, i'd repeat day one on day 3 substuting the dips for overhead press.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    personally, i'd split the first two days and mix them together.

antagonistic movements paired together.

so...
    squats first. then bench, then row, then dips, then pullups for example.

then on the second day, it might run like this:
    deadlifts, then DB press, then row, then skullscrusher, then bb curl.

then it if it was me, i'd repeat day one on day 3 substuting the dips for overhead press.

is he doing shoulders or chest on dumbbell presses on day two???
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    db press would be more for chest, the military press would be for shoulders, i have tweaked it a little but not much, here is what i plan.

Training (something I just found);
    Mon- Pull:
    deadlift 3 x 5
    BB row 3 x 5-8
    Pullups 3 x 8
    DB rows 3 x 10
    Incline DB curls 3 x 10

Wed- Push:
    Flat bench 3 x 5
    Incline db bench 3 x 8-10
    military press 3 x 8
    dips(weighted) 3 x 5-10
    inc db flyes 3 x 10
    inc bb french press 3 x 10 (skullchrushers)

Fri- Legs/Abs
    back squats 5x5
    Leg extension 3 x10
    Leg curls 3 x 10
    leg calf raise /w dip belt 3 x 10
    Hanging leg raises 3 x 10

the only real change is the legs, i cant do front squats, had a broken collar bone, now that it is healed it pops out the joint when my arms are in certain places. front squats literaly seem to rest on that and it pops out so its alot of weight on it.
    thought back squats would be fine and then hammer out some machine work. let me know. i am planning to do the monday session today. il write up how i fealt after lol.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    also the barbell rows il aim to get the higher lats, and the bent over single arm il keep it straight and try to get more of the lower back/lats. tried my first ever wide grip pull ups last friday, managed to get 3 sets, 5,4,4 which is not bad since 3 months ago i couldnt do 1 wide grip pull up
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    I'd put the military press with your leg routine as your shoulders are getting enough tear with the bench presses etc. I'd add a close grip press or hammer curl (basically another isolation movement for arms) instead. Always do what works best for you though.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    gonna start a training diary on here today. il put in all my weights etc, food within reason etc. also my diary is always open to public so anyone who wants to help and give positive input through out is welcomed. critisism is welcomed, rudeness is not lol.
    il post up in a min how my first session went, but lets say i am gonna sleep well tonight lol
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I think it looks good enough that I wouldn't change anything just yet. Do those bb rows a little more upright, say 45 degrees so that you're getting different activation than your db rows
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Looks decent.
    Personally I think when you're not an advanced lifter, you'd be better suited to hit muscles 2x per week instead of overworking them once per week.

I think full body routines work well, as do upper/lower splits.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    nah im definately not an advanced builder, but i have been at for 16 months so far. im hoping this will make the difference. everything is going in the right direction. so if in 3 months time i havent made any reasonable progression il switch it up. but for the next 10 weeks im gonna give the routine 100% eat big and see what happens. cheers for the input, i tried Hit trainign before but it wasnt for me. i like to get on something and work it. when i tried it before i did 3 days mon/wed/fri and found i generally spent to much time flicking between set ups. currently i have 1 hour at the gym (on my lunch break) so i like to get the routine fixed in and flowing well.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    looking forward to seeing how it works. You have the right mindset of sticking with something for a decent amount of time, and then evaluating how it went. So that's definitely a plus.
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    i spent 2 weeks posting up on 4 different websites to find a routine i wanted, unfortunately nobody really responded, eventually a few said that a push pull legs routine was the way forward. thwey even posted one up. i tweaked it a little but happy. i think my legs are gonna go through the roof, which i know my girlfriend wont like lol. she says my legs are massive already. im sure she wont notice another inch or 2 lol.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    Yeah it might go pretty well. I didn't catch the deadlifts on the pull day, so that'll let you work your legs a little bit on those days.

What are your plans for progression with the main lifts that are 5x5 etc. Just start comfortable and add 5ish pounds per week until you get stuck?
  • Zero2hero2013
    Options
    i dropped the weights back a little, and plan on upping it around 2.5kg per 2 weeks, i figure that 5kg a month and 6 months, il be close to 100kg. id rather slow it down and try to push bit by bit. then go to fast and get to disheartened. to be honest though id be happy bench anything over 85-90kg lol. if i start to get stuck before i finish this routine. i might make the next one higher reps, but aim to keep the weights form this one. so maybe get to 90kg, for 3-4 reps by the end of this routine, then work that 90 upto 10 then posisbly 15 reps over the next period. then start again up the weights drop the reps and see where it goes. lol. im not to fixed on the long term in that i plan on doing this for a long time. so wanna try lots of different things. wouldlove to work on my slow twitch muscle at some point. as i think that would make a good difference in the long run.