Think I've hurt my back with the Deadlift!!

KarinFit4Life
KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
:sad: :sad:
I've been to the gym just now-now and tried the Deadlift sets for the first time... I'm so stupid, why did I think I could do it!!??
My lower back is sore now... :frown:
Not sure what I hurt...feels like the muscles on the sides of my lower spine is sore and as if theres this pressure ...when I pick up my baby girl its not unbearably sore, but more uncomfortable sore. Now I'm so scared I've done some damage and sabotaged myself. :sad:
Dammit!!!

Replies

• turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    How much did you lift? Did anyone check your form? You might just be sore from a new workout. Rest for a couple days and see how you feel. If it doesn't improve go see your doctor. Deadlifts can be a real killer!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    I was thinking you may be a little sore from a new exercise, but make sure you give your body plenty of rest (2-3 days) before repeating. A hot rice bag and hot baths seem to help. Stretch often!!!!

Deadlifts are such a great exercise, one of my absolute favorites, but I guess there is a potential to really hurt yourself if your form is off. There are also a lot of variations out there. You may want to check out some of the demo videos on bodybuilding.com to make sure your form is ok. The key is keeping your back flat (like a table) as you go down, and then squeezing your glutes to bring you back up.
  • KarinFit4Life
    I think my form sucked...probably.... I googled youtube vids to see and tried without anyone checking for me.
    And for a first time I think I tried too heavy - 40kg (88lbs).
    Think I didnt keep my back straight enough and didnt lift with my legs, more my back thats why its sore.
    I hope you guys are right though and its from new exercise!
    Thanks for the advice, I will rest enough to make sure I dont overdo it now even more.
    I will check out bodybuild.com too for sure!
    :flowerforyou:
  • estelle74uk
    estelle74uk Posts: 465 Member
    I did this not so long ago, I was on week 3 of a bulk, and lifted far too heavy for my backs liking. I couldnt hold it and as I went down, rather than drop it, cause it was too heavy, I must have bent wrong and my back popped. I was in soo much pain for a good half hour, then had to be off for 2 weeks of all exercise. Gutted. Just b careful x
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Karin1234,
    just from your description you definitely lifted incorrectly and worked more your lower back then the intended muscle.. need to keep a straighter back and lift with your legs(as you know).. it was too much weight for your first time, less weight and better form until your comfortable with the movement to add more weight.. Deadlift is an exercise where you can easily hurt yourself lifting incorrectly.. deadlift is becoming one of the more "show off" type exercises at the gym, if there is a machine at your gym that works the same muscles, you may want to use that instead of free weights
  • KarinFit4Life
    Oh wow Estelle, that sounds sore! And worse than mine. Glad you healed allright!
    Greenrun...what type machine does one get that does the same?
  • turningstar
    Wow, 88lbs! Probably too much weight and poor form. Deadlifting takes some practice. When you feel up to trying it again, stand in front of a mirror or have someone spot you. Start light, like 45 lbs (the bar), and work on your form. I like deadlifts more than machines because the make you work all your core muscles, instead of just certain muscle groups. Everyone has preferences though. Do what works and wont hurt you! ;)
  • KarinFit4Life
    Question : Ive seen some say to NOT wear running shoes orn"squishy" shoes when deadlifting or sqautting.... This true? They say to wear no shoes rather. Do you guys go by that rule?
  • ehs5mw
    ehs5mw Posts: 65
    I will address a few of your questions, as I have been researching some of these questions for myself and my wife.

First off, you should literally be working with an empty bar of 45 pounds to make sure you have proper form and get your muscles used to the movement. You can increase 10 pounds each session (spaced days apart) so that you will quickly be doing more, but you need to give your body time to adjust and grow.

Secondly, I would not recommend you do machines if free weights are available. The major reason for this is that unless you have some medical reason to prevent you from doing free weights, the free weights will help you get stronger faster, it will force you to perform the exercise properly, and you will be developing a larger muscle set rather than the isolated ones from the machine. You want to work on stabilizing muscles and balance so that you can improve your overall strength, not just say you can lift a certain amount using a machine, right?

Third, yes, it is recommended that you NOT use "squishy" shoes when you perform squats, deadlifts, etc. The reason for this is balance and stability. Barefoot is not an option in many gyms, so lots of people use vibram five finger shoes, flat-bottomed shoes, wrestling shoes, or even specialized weightlifting shoes. Some people recommend converses or something of the sort that have very little soft, squishy, support. You definitely don't want to use reebok easytone or skechers, etc. or even running shoes (guilty, looking for new shoes for the two of us now).

Last, don't be discouraged! Drop your weight, film yourself or have someone watch you to help you get proper form, and go from there. You will be ahead of so many people out there that haven't taken the steps to proper lifting. You can do it!
  • turningstar
    I wear my running shoes, but im thinking of getting shoes designed for lifting. One of my knees hurts after deadlift days and I don't know if its from form (rocking inward or outward on my feet), or my shoes being to soft and not giving me a proper platform for lifting.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Deadlift works alot of different muscle groups.. mainly back and legs.. there isn't 1 machine that works all the parts that free weight deadlift does.. But the squat machine, and lower back machine will work the primary parts that deadlift does work, however there are numerous other muscles that are worked during the movements..
    Use the machines if you are not 100% comfortable with free weights as they will help you with your form and get used to the movement.. I don't agree that free weights make you do the correct form as you have freedom to lift that weight completely incorrect and thus hurting yourself.. more people hurt themselves using free weights than machines.. free weights do help you with balance and working various muscle groups. Do what your comfortable with.
  • KarinFit4Life
    I will address a few of your questions, as I have been researching some of these questions for myself and my wife.

First off, you should literally be working with an empty bar of 45 pounds to make sure you have proper form and get your muscles used to the movement. You can increase 10 pounds each session (spaced days apart) so that you will quickly be doing more, but you need to give your body time to adjust and grow.

Secondly, I would not recommend you do machines if free weights are available. The major reason for this is that unless you have some medical reason to prevent you from doing free weights, the free weights will help you get stronger faster, it will force you to perform the exercise properly, and you will be developing a larger muscle set rather than the isolated ones from the machine. You want to work on stabilizing muscles and balance so that you can improve your overall strength, not just say you can lift a certain amount using a machine, right?

Third, yes, it is recommended that you NOT use "squishy" shoes when you perform squats, deadlifts, etc. The reason for this is balance and stability. Barefoot is not an option in many gyms, so lots of people use vibram five finger shoes, flat-bottomed shoes, wrestling shoes, or even specialized weightlifting shoes. Some people recommend converses or something of the sort that have very little soft, squishy, support. You definitely don't want to use reebok easytone or skechers, etc. or even running shoes (guilty, looking for new shoes for the two of us now).

Last, don't be discouraged! Drop your weight, film yourself or have someone watch you to help you get proper form, and go from there. You will be ahead of so many people out there that haven't taken the steps to proper lifting. You can do it!

Awesome post! Thank u so much ehs5mw!
    Need to find an alternative to my running shoes.
    Thanks Greenrun for ure reply! I really would like to master free weights so I will just have to practice to make perfect. :happy:
  • ehs5mw
    ehs5mw Posts: 65
    Deadlift works alot of different muscle groups.. mainly back and legs.. there isn't 1 machine that works all the parts that free weight deadlift does.. But the squat machine, and lower back machine will work the primary parts that deadlift does work, however there are numerous other muscles that are worked during the movements..
    Use the machines if you are not 100% comfortable with free weights as they will help you with your form and get used to the movement.. I don't agree that free weights make you do the correct form as you have freedom to lift that weight completely incorrect and thus hurting yourself.. more people hurt themselves using free weights than machines.. free weights do help you with balance and working various muscle groups. Do what your comfortable with.

I get what you are saying, but I disagree. If you lift for several years with machines, you will still likely have poor form when you try free weights. The only way to truly develop proper form is to do it with small weights and receive appropriate feedback on form, which I advocated.
  • KarinFit4Life
    This morning I can feel that the soreness is definitely basically ALL my back, bum and shoulder muscles!
    Feel like I was hit by a train.
    Will lower the weight I lift next time I go for the deadlift until I get form correct and my muscles are stronger.

For today...I need to get anti inflamatories I think! :huh:
  • mommamuscles
    Ive been lifting barefoot for a few Weeks and I've really noticed a difference! just bought a pair of vibrams, same principle!
  • KarinFit4Life
    Okay, just needed to update... Did workout B today again so had another go at the Deadlift.
    Instead of 88lbs like the previous time, I did 66lbs and it went sooo much better!!
    Think I'm getting the hang of it!
    My advice to anyone starting NROLFW - dont try too heavy weight the first time, even if you think you can do it! Rather test and see first, one can always go up.

Thankfully I didnt hurt myself, I think my muscles just got a rude awakening and I had to take it easy for a few days.
    Loving it so far, even though Im still intimidated by the "muscles" in the weight section. :grumble:
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    ill be starting it soon.. it will be a little intimidating moving off of the machines into the grunty guy area lol
  • mommamuscles
    ill be starting it soon.. it will be a little intimidating moving off of the machines into the grunty guy area lol

Us ladies need to show those grunters HOW ITS DONE!!!!

REPRESENT!!!
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Thank you so much for the info on the shoes - I actually didn't know that! It makes so much sense. Guess I need to get some new footwear to lift in.