Is Metabolic Reset Required before TDEE cut?

summaryzn
summaryzn Posts: 113 Member
DUH!!!! To me for not asking this sooner. is it required or recommended to eat at TDEE (metabolic reset) before performing the cut. I allegedly upped my cals to a litlte higher than BMR last week ... I say allegedly bc Ive exceeded my allowance every day since last Tuesday without fail and then TODAY wondered am I doing my body a disservice by flip flopping.Essentially for the past week ive been eating at my TDEE.

Is that what you SHOULD do before applying the cut? Please advise!

Thanks

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Hello!

Eating at your full TDEE to reset your metabolism is generally recommended especially if you were coming from a VLCD.

A full TDEE reset is 6-8 weeks.

However, eating at your TDEE for a week is no problem at all. Most people cycle anyways. Eat at TDEE -15% for 4-6 weeks, 1 week at TDEE, then 4-6 weeks at TDEE -15%

Its good for the metabolism :)

Mike
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    It is recommended that you do a reset if you have been yo-yo dieting or at a VLCD for a long time. Some people find it hard to start a a full reset, so they slowly up their cals until they are at a point where they can eat them all and start their reset then. Others jump right in to a reset.

Also, I want to address the flip-flopping...:smile: Consistency is very important. Just FYI. :happy: So, once you decide on a path (reset or tdee cut), stick to it for 6 - 8 weeks before going on to the next step in the process.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Sure it's recommended. It makes sense.

Here's what I did differently, and bear in mind I'm a very active person (5-6 days a week):

I was netting 1200 calories for a couple of years and feeling awful about it. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, less than ten pounds, but the scale was hovering between the same two pounds and I was feeling puffy and bloated most of the time.

Two weeks ago, I made the jump from eating 1200 calories even, to eating AT LEAST my BMR (1450) PLUS exercise calories, but always lower than my TDEE. I did not go through the full reset. I initially gained about 3lbs in water weight, lost it a few days later, and am now finally losing again. My core feels tighter and less bloated with water.

There is no reason you can't, or shouldn't, experiment to see what works for you. If you are aware of what you're doing, then you're not going to damage yourself irreparably by either doing the full reset, or choosing not to. If it doesn't work, try something else. If it does, awesome :)
  • summaryzn
    summaryzn Posts: 113 Member
    `thanks guys! I definitely dont plan to eat my TDEE for a fulll 6-8 weeks, this week Im resuming my attempt at clean eating so hopefully with some more satisfying foods and less crap I can stay on or close to my tDEE -15%. will follow up in a few weeks.
  • nreamon
    nreamon Posts: 46 Member
    Ill be making this adjustment in my diet too! Ive been doing about 1200 that last few months and not seeing any changes. Im staying under my TDEE but under my BMR so im adding about 200 calories!! I was so nervous to do this but its worth a shot. I dont have much to lose, I wanna try for 10 lbs so why give this a shot!