Blinding Pain

Options
MamaWannaRun
MamaWannaRun Posts: 273 Member
Wanted to see if this might have been an issue for anyone else?

When I started my deadlifts yesterday, I got down to the floor, picked up the weight (70#) and started to lift. As I reached the upright position, i had a blinding pain, including a flash a bright light, in my forehead, behind my eyes. It lasted only a moment, but immediately, I go a horrible headache that lasted for the rest of the night. I managed the rest of my workout and went home.

When I got home, I asked dh if that had ever happened to him (he was a professional body builder back in the day) and he suggested that perhaps I had been holding my breath and told me that breathing correctly should help. I really hope that is all there is to it. Today, i have a little residual headache, but manageable.

ANYONE else have thoughts? advice?

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    See your doctor.
  • degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you pinched something or jarred something. My sister had the same thing happen jumping out the back of a pickup and not bending her knees, she jarred her spind and ended up with a headache the rest of the day. i agree with the abover person. Consult your physician just to be sure. You don't want to mess with your spine.
  • lu123
    lu123 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    yep agree with atlmel. maybe perhaps you are going slightly too heavy and straining. I obviously don't know your strength though but if i was straining to lift something I might get pain behind my eyes. but best bet is to see a doctor to rule out anything bad first!
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    So, yes, I called the doctor (feeling very foolish) and she told me she wants to see me this afternoon. Ugh!
  • ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    So, yes, I called the doctor (feeling very foolish) and she told me she wants to see me this afternoon. Ugh!

Much better to feel a little foolish now than to ignore a signal from your body that something is wrong. IMO part of fitness is developing a healthy respect for what your body has to say. I'm 100% in favor of pushing hard and testing your limits and have finished races dry heaving (but with a PR :)). There is a difference in pushing hard and just abusing yourself. Go, get checked and then get back at it knowing that you're healthy and not harboring some ominous diagnoses.
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    Much better to feel a little foolish now than to ignore a signal from your body that something is wrong. IMO part of fitness is developing a healthy respect for what your body has to say. I'm 100% in favor of pushing hard andsting your limits and have finished races dry heaving (but with a PR :)). There is a difference in pushing hard and just abusing yourself. Go, get checked and then get back at it knowing that you're healthy and not harboring some ominous diagnoses.

Yes, as a Mommy, I am always the last one to take care of what I need. Thanks for the reminder!

Well, my blood pressure is low (as always) but they set up MRA/MRI for this afternoon- WOW!
    HOWEVER, they have to get prior approval from my insurance company. Result is that the insurance will take 2-3 days to approve the tests! So, in the meantime, they gave me some Loratabs and instructions that if my headache worsens, I need to get to the ER right away..

BUREAUCRACY!

Well at least if anything happens to me, my dh will have a heck of a lawsuit to file...
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    So, are you dead?
  • MamaWannaRun
    Options
    nah, alive and kicking.. doing the test on Thursday!