Body Fat

Noor13
Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
I have a question you guys

What's the best way to assess your body fat?

Do I need the callipers for it, or is there a way around that?

Grateful for any tips

Replies

• grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Speaking only about at home methods, calipers are suppose to be the most accurate if you are not obese. If obese, most recommend just using a tape measure and plugging the numbers into a body fat percentage calculator.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    I checked out like 29879842 online bodyfat calculators. Here's my little blog/documentation of it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/squishycow7/view/bf-263198

Essentially they all depressed me. I think I'm actually lower than what they said, especially judging by the very last link I put in there, which is a site that shows pics of people at different BF%!

So even if you're like "whatever silly blogger," look inside for that other link... haha :)
  • Noor13
    I checked out like 29879842 online bodyfat calculators. Here's my little blog/documentation of it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/squishycow7/view/bf-263198

Essentially they all depressed me. I think I'm actually lower than what they said, especially judging by the very last link I put in there, which is a site that shows pics of people at different BF%!

So even if you're like "whatever silly blogger," look inside for that other link... haha :)

Thanks, will check it out
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    So I checked out the online calculators yesterday and got a bodyfat of 36%! I did calipers at two different gyms and they both gave me 30.5%. I think if you have lots of muscle the online calculators and the bodyfat scales don't work well (at least not for me).

I'd do the calipers. I bet a local YMCA will do it for free or a small fee.
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    I agree about the tape measure slightly innacurate for some. This week I had an all over "pinch" session with the callipers. According to the tape measure my thigh hadn't moved but the callipers showed a decrease by 2.5mm. So I presume the loss of fat was replaced by yummy muscle.
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    I like the Homer Simpson method. Jump up and down and time how long it takes for the jiggling to stop! :laugh:
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    I like the Homer Simpson method. Jump up and down and time how long it takes for the jiggling to stop! :laugh:

lol

I was interested in finding out how to get it measured as well. I'll check out the local YMCA and see if they do it.
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    I'm having mine tested professionally tomorrow - hydrostatic testing (getting dunked). I really hope it is less than the online calculators tell me, which is 46%. I commented on this so it's in my "my topics" and I'll come back to let you know if the numbers were drastically different.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    There's also a BOD POD, uses air instead of water and just as accurate. You still wear a swim suit and cap. Cost about $40.
  • I like the Homer Simpson method. Jump up and down and time how long it takes for the jiggling to stop! :laugh:

That just made me laugh so dang hard!

But yes I have a scale that tells me 22%, the online calcs give me anythign from 22-30%!!!! But when I do the calipers myself at home I get 19% soooooooo...................I really shopuld pay a facility to measure me correctly.
  • jenniekw
    jenniekw Posts: 104
    This website talks all about measuring body fat and shows you how and what calipers are the best. :wink:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/how-to-measure-bodyfat-using-calipers.html
  • Noor13
    This website talks all about measuring body fat and shows you how and what calipers are the best. :wink:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/tools/how-to-measure-bodyfat-using-calipers.html

Thanks-I am about to stalk the www on where to buy calipers :))))
  • jhgreer
    jhgreer Posts: 145
    Hi - I said I would report back about my body fat testing this weekend. Based on taking measurements and using the calculators online, my BF% was 46%. On Saturday I had hydroponic body composition testing (weighed under water) and it was 41.3 Big difference. Still very high either way, but almost 5% lower than I thought.