New

I'm new to MFP and to this group. I've seen SO MUCH talk about eating less to weigh less, and it's just frustrating...when I saw this group I had to jump right on it!!!!! I'm going to start to eat 1800 calories (my bmr is 1856), and workout (not sure yet if I am going to eat my exercise calories?!??!)....soooo awesome to see a group that tells you to eat more to lose weight - LOVE THE IDEA of this group - thank you thank you thank you :)

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Hi and welcome to the group!

Did you run all your numbers and read the stickies? There is a lot of useful information on there.
    If your BMR is 1856, 1800 is actually not enough.

Have you been on low cals for some time? If so you wanna consider a full metabolic reset.

If you have not you should eat TDEE-15%. You don't need to eat your exercise cals back, just if you have burnt a lot. You should never net below your BMR!
  • Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    I'm new to MFP and to this group. I've seen SO MUCH talk about eating less to weigh less, and it's just frustrating...when I saw this group I had to jump right on it!!!!! I'm going to start to eat 1800 calories (my bmr is 1856), and workout (not sure yet if I am going to eat my exercise calories?!??!)....soooo awesome to see a group that tells you to eat more to lose weight - LOVE THE IDEA of this group - thank you thank you thank you :)

Welcome! I have a quick thing to say though...If your BMR is 1856, you need to be eating MORE than 1856, not less. If 1856 is your TDEE then, that's a different story! :smile: Make sure you read the sticky posts at the top of the forum...especially http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr so that you fully understand what the process is. Ask us if you have any questions!
  • I'm new to MFP and to this group. I've seen SO MUCH talk about eating less to weigh less, and it's just frustrating...when I saw this group I had to jump right on it!!!!! I'm going to start to eat 1800 calories (my bmr is 1856), and workout (not sure yet if I am going to eat my exercise calories?!??!)....soooo awesome to see a group that tells you to eat more to lose weight - LOVE THE IDEA of this group - thank you thank you thank you :)

Welcome! I have a quick thing to say though...If your BMR is 1856, you need to be eating MORE than 1856, not less. If 1856 is your TDEE then, that's a different story! :smile: Make sure you read the sticky posts at the top of the forum...especially http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/512956-tdee-what-is-it-and-why-you-should-not-eat-below-your-bmr so that you fully understand what the process is. Ask us if you have any questions!

WOW - had no clue!!!!!!

Okay so:

BMR: 1860
    TDEE: 2558
    TDEE - 15%: 2174

SO with that all said, lemme see if I get this right (hopefully someone will correct me :):

I should really "net" 2174 daily and NOT count exercise? (I put exercise in for "light 1-3 hours a week" for now, probably as I lose more weight I'll be changing that to moderate...but with all that said every day EAT 2174 and not mind the exercise (it won't be over 500 that I know for now)....omg so glad I asked...I would've eaten soooo little...and I'll lose weight???? Going to wrap my mind about this, because that is JUST AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for all your help on this.
  • PS: no NEVER went under calories at all - DEFINITELY over calories (hence me gaining weight LOL)...I've been on weight watchers, and the calories BACK then (probably 3 years ago) was always below my bmr, then I just honestly gave up (hungry, cranky, running metabolism out, but lost 50 pounds just to gain it all back, and here I am to MFP)...so I definitely want to do this the RIGHT way!
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    You don't NET the 2174 you just eat that much and as long as your burns aren't more than 300 calories you are good. If your burn is more than 300 then you eat back enough to NET your BMR number.
  • You don't NET the 2174 you just eat that much and as long as your burns aren't more than 300 calories you are good. If your burn is more than 300 then you eat back enough to NET your BMR number.

Okay thank you - sure making sense now!!!!!! So basically my "minimum" food I can put in my body(if no exercise) is my bmr: 1860 and maximum is "2174" (with NO exercise this is...) If I burn say 400 calories, and net is at 1760 I NEED to eat 100 calories back to get to 1860...but don't have to eat all 400 calories if I don't want to just as long as my net is my bmr? I think I GOT IT :D

Why is everyone eating "1200" and Jillian Michaels promotes eating 1200 calories a day when it's not healthy? I'm trying to figure that out, and I've never understood why people would do that to their bodies....you eat 1200, burn 1000, your body technically only was giving 200 calories - so unhealthy.

Thank you all for opening my eyes and letting me know about this; I hope this will be the weight loss solution once and for all for me, and I am SURE it will be :)!!!!!
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    You don't NET the 2174 you just eat that much and as long as your burns aren't more than 300 calories you are good. If your burn is more than 300 then you eat back enough to NET your BMR number.

Okay thank you - sure making sense now!!!!!! So basically my "minimum" food I can put in my body(if no exercise) is my bmr: 1860 and maximum is "2174" (with NO exercise this is...) If I burn say 400 calories, and net is at 1760 I NEED to eat 100 calories back to get to 1860...but don't have to eat all 400 calories if I don't want to just as long as my net is my bmr? I think I GOT IT :D

Why is everyone eating "1200" and Jillian Michaels promotes eating 1200 calories a day when it's not healthy? I'm trying to figure that out, and I've never understood why people would do that to their bodies....you eat 1200, burn 1000, your body technically only was giving 200 calories - so unhealthy.

Thank you all for opening my eyes and letting me know about this; I hope this will be the weight loss solution once and for all for me, and I am SURE it will be :)!!!!!

It was either Lucia or Kiki that had a great post about why people (trainers, doctors etc.) recommend 1200. 1200 will help you drop some initial weight really quickly and then you plateau and stop losing. Where are you supposed to go from there? You can't really go down, right?

All of my skinny and fit friends are eating more than 2000 calories a day and I always wondered why they could eat so much and still look amazing. Now I know. They weren't eating too much, just eating more than me and enough to fuel their bodies, they just seem to be able to do this naturally.