Quick way to estimate how many calories to eat

Options
So I've used the scooby, fittofat, fitnessfrog etc to estimate calories. However, as a Nutritionist for the state we are encouraged to provide government resources to my clients so......

I went to the new ChooseMyPlate.gov website. If you are not aware the "Food Guide Pyramid" is no longer being used, instead the graphic is called ChooseMyPlate and shows what a typical plate should look like in regards to proportion of the food groups.

They have a weight management section which can be used to determine the calorie level you should eat at to GRADUALLY move towards a healthy weight and what do you know it worked out pretty much the same as the other websites we have been using.

Nice to know the government is good for something :tongue:

So check it out at http://www.choosemyplate.gov/myplate/index.aspx

I would be interested to know how this compares to YOUR TDEE-cut......

Replies

• Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    It suggested 2200 kcal.

My TDEE is 2400, my cut value 2080
  • Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Recommended 2000 cals, my Tdee is around 2200, i set my cut to 1900
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    It suggested 2400, my tdee is 2584, cut value around 2200.
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    So I've used the scooby, fittofat, fitnessfrog etc to estimate calories. However, as a Nutritionist for the state we are encouraged to provide government resources to my clients so......

I went to the new ChooseMyPlate.gov website. If you are not aware the "Food Guide Pyramid" is no longer being used, instead the graphic is called ChooseMyPlate and shows what a typical plate should look like in regards to proportion of the food groups.

They have a weight management section which can be used to determine the calorie level you should eat at to GRADUALLY move towards a healthy weight and what do you know it worked out pretty much the same as the other websites we have been using.

It didn't work for me. :ohwell:
  • watergirl626
    watergirl626 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    It gave me 2200, which is what I have been eating based on Fat2fitradio. Funny.
  • Fairieluv77
    Options
    Gave me 2200 which is what I have my cals set to!
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I got 1800, which is what I have my cals set to! :) Nice to see the confirmation. Thanks for the link.
  • quie618
    quie618 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It gave me 2000 and my TDEE - 15% cut is 2068.
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options

It didn't work for me. :ohwell:

Try ChooseMyPlate.gov then choose weight management from the top :drinker:
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Interesting, it gave me 2200 calories, scooby's is 2252, but the Katch-McCardle which takes into account body fat is 25somtehing...since I am not ready to up that high, I haven't looked too hard at that number...lol!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    It told me 2400 to lose weight. It also told me I'm overweight for my height. :sad:
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    I suggested 2000 cals a day but I think some weeks I work out harder and it would then be 2200. I am currently eating 1888 cals (TDEE cut) a day so i think it calculated well for me.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am impressed! Thanks for posting that!
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My TDEE per fitnessFrog is 2523.... which is about what BMF says as well. But the GOV site gives me 2400 as TDEE....
    I eat about 1600-1800 cals on a low activity day and about 2200 on a high activity day.
    25%-30% cut.

But the eat more to lose thing hasn't kicked in for me yet. :(
  • YepLilly
    YepLilly Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I got 2200, which is pretty close to my TDEE (2212)!

ETA: TDEE from Scooby's
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2352 and my 15% cut is 2000... I entered the "gradually move toward a healthy weight" and got 2000 :smile:

Edit: forgot to add I got 2200 for the other option
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    It told me 2400 to lose weight. It also told me I'm overweight for my height. :sad:

Just remember that BMI is NOT a measurement of fatness. Muscular people will show up as overweight or obese.

BMI was developed for population studies NOT individual assessment. That being said it can be used as a quick assessment in a clinical setting ALONG with a visual assessment and what the client is saying. For example, I have a high BMI, look overfat, and am telling the doctor I feel sluggish (possible thyroid issue) or I'm peeing all the time (possible blood sugar issue) THEN it may warrant blood work etc to further investigate.

It was NEVER meant to be used as a stand alone assessment or as an assessment of fatness.
  • mturgeon05
    mturgeon05 Posts: 204
    Options
    Spot on for me. It gave me 1800 and that is what I calculated my TDEE to be based on my average FitBit burn :)
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options
    It gave me 2200, which is close to my TDEE. My cut value is 1883.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Pretty close.....

It told me 2000 for less than 30 min activity a day, when I was tested professionally my maintenance calories were 1969.
    2200 for 30-60 min activity/day.

and My cut is 1866........