How many times a day do you eat? Calories?

Options
I've been a bit discouraged. I had lapband surgery in October of 09, I've lost 84lbs. I've been at the same weight for a year, up and down 1-2lbs. I have been really watching what I eat and workingout the last 3 months and have seen no weightloss. I have gotten rid of a couple inches.

Yesterday I went to see my surgeon/doctor spoke of my concerns. He pretty much reffered me to this link http://lapbandaustralia.com.au/eight-golden-rules.html and said to really follow it. It does have some great information. He also said I should be at 1000 calories a day eating 3 times a day, no snacking 1/2 cup of food at each meal.

I'm curious to what challenges you are faced with and if you've hit a pateau how did you get out of it? I read posts on here but I'm not sure they apply to surgery patients. I can't eat more to loose weight, right?

Replies

• Onaughmae
    Onaughmae Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    My surgery is a little different since I had GBS. I eat at least three times a day..sometimes 4 if they are small meals. At this point I am averaging 700-900 calories a day in order to meet my protein goals. So far, with the exception of a couple of plateaus it is working for me.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    HI and welcome...I am 2.5 months post op of GBS. I have had a few comlications (stricturing/narrowing) and that caused me to not be able to eat, so last week I had a EGD done in the OR and they fixed me so far so good. So I basically started over with eating, liquids then softs and now food...I can still only eat a few bites at a time, so I eat about 6 times per day with average cals being 700-850, 850 is on the high end and usually happens if I have a ice cream bar treat, sugar free of course. I have to think about protein all the time, but all is well, you will do great I know it...we all get discouraged, I was there last week, but I pushed thru it and am losing again,

Mary
  • chilldowns
    Options
    I eat 3 meals a day plus 2-3 protein drinks. I consume 600-800 calories total per day.
    I had RNY surgery 4/19/2012
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2008. I've lost 205 pounds. To maintain my weight, I eat around 1700 calories a day when I'm not exercising much and can eat 2000 a day when I'm exercising like I should. Personally, I think you should be eating at least 1200/day.
  • heres2anewme
    heres2anewme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I had lapband then revised to RNY gastric by-pass. I am at a plateau and have been here since around Dec. I have joined the eat more to weigh less because I still need to lose around 30-50 more pounds. I think we do need to up our calories but admit today is the first day I have tried and I have failed. I just can't eat enough food to up my calories much.
  • Napjeeper
    Napjeeper Posts: 36
    Options
    I had my RNY surgery in 2001 and had a similar issue to yours when I started working out again last year. I found some muscle building information that really enlightened me to what my issue was, and it comes down to my protein intake.

I'm concerned that your doctor is recommending 1000 cal/day. That seems low even for someone dieting without a band, I'm wondering if it has less to do with how many calories you are taking in and what kind of calories they are. At that level, I could see you starving your muscles and body from making any progress.

For example, protein is something that all bariatric patients should be going above for. While everything is within moderation, it's been shown that adding more protein to your diet through foods or even drinks/bars helps your body burn more calories. So adding a shake or protein bar to your daily diet could actually help boost your metabolism.

The other question is what kind of exercise are you doing? More cardio or muscle work? Do you change up your routine regularly to keep your body on it's toes? I started on a treadmill but hit a wall about 3 months ago and had to include some new kinds of exercise to get off the plautau and start the scale moving again.

:) JD