Things women wish men knew...

Options

Replies

• cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    Will have to check this out when I get home.
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I would say fairly accurate
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Generalizations of course, but pretty true to life.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with 1 or 2, but the rest yes!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    For me, obviously I can't speak for everyone.

1) Absolutely. If there isn't some kind of contact I will lose interest and move on. We don't have to go out everyday but even a text conversation will keep me invested. I don't think it has anything to do with age as far as putting up with that type of behavior, rather I think it's connected to confidence.

2) Yes, if you are looking for something specific be up front about what you want. Of course, there are also people that aren't looking for anything specific and aren't opposed to anything specific and just kinda... go with what happens. As long as you are up front and honest about what you want, then your hands are clean.

3) Yeah. Yeah definitely.

4) Being frugal, having a budget and being smart with money is not a turn off, but if you take someone to a nice place be prepared to pay and don't gripe about it. don't do something that you can't afford. Coupons I don't have a problem with, hell I've even used that as a way to set up a date ("Hey, I have a coupon to cold stone! Let's go!) but griping about how much the date I'm on with you costs? Not cool bro.

5) I've never had this problem.

6) What? I hardly understand this paragraph except for the last bit. Yeah, don't lie. That sucks. Duh?

7) I think "looking for my mother/father" is misunderstood. I openly admit that my dad is the standard to which I hold the men I date. I'm not looking for another father, but I am looking for qualities in another man that I respect and admire in my own dad. This is because I had a great relationship with my dad and I believe he's an amazing man. Someone intelligent, motivated, loyal and positive. So when a guy tells me that he's looking for a woman like his mother I don't assume he's looking for A mother, just someone that has similar qualities that he values as well.

8) Yes. I've said it before and I'll say it again. A guy who tells me he thinks I'm "hot" is basically ignored. Yeah, kay thanks, what do you want? But a guy who tells me he likes my eyebrows (actual compliment, one of my favorites) will garner my interest.

9) ... Once again, honesty is good? This one is weird for me too, I don't really get what they're trying to say other than the very obvious don't be a *kitten*.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    #6 is sooo important... I can't begin to tell you how many men I've caught in lies about dating other people (which strikes me as funny considering my progressive opinion about it). I love the look of surprise on their face when I finally find a way to "catch them" without appearing to be a jerk about it.

The rest seem pretty accurate to me too, although I wouldn't be put off by a coupon. I do expect a man to pay if he asks me out (and not grumble about it) but I definitely appreciate frugality, lol!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'd say these are so true for me as well.

#8 is really important and #3.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Yep! I can't disagree with any of those :flowerforyou:
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily disagree with the main points, but I feel like several of them aren't really that important. To me, anyway. 3, 6, and 7 are near the top of the list, however.

3 - trying too hard isn't attractive. Be who you are.
    6 - again with the honesty. I'm very discerning when it comes to people. I may not be able to put my finger on exactly what's going on, but I'm going to know if you're dishonest. And what's the point? I have more respect for his time and energy than that, it's fair to expect the same consideration.
    7 - and the main reason I'm single (and pickier by the day). It seems like the age at which people grow up gets higher every year, and I have no interest in dating a man-child.

I read the mens' list too, and I'd like to know what they think about that. Who are all these women overly concerned about a man's bank account/income? I mean, if it's getting serious I'm going to want to know that he has a steady means of financially supporting himself, and I probably wouldn't be too keen on a 35-year-old pizza delivery guy with no ambition beyond the Domino's, but that honestly has more to do with what that indicates about the differences in our personalities, goals, and values than anything else. Seriously.. how much money a guy makes is one of the last things to cross my mind. Maybe it's because I've never relied on a man (other than my father when I was a kid, of course) for financial support. *shrug*
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    God, I hate dating.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    God, I hate dating.

ditto
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Accurate for me.
  • poncho33
    poncho33 Posts: 1,511
    Options
    God, I hate dating.

I hate trying to date... the actual dates are never that bad. At some point during my last relationship this crap got way too complicated!!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    My take on both with womens first.

1. You risk it all if you wait forever to reach out to a woman who interests you.
    When all women are agreeable to put themselves at the equal risk of rejection then valid.

2. Not all women who date are looking for a serious relationship.
    This seems to contradict discussions we have had here where ladies say they quickly move to a relationship status in their minds.

3. You’d be surprised about what women find to be genuinely sexy in a man.
    Everyone is different so for some yes and others no.

4. Being a cheapskate is a deal-breaker for women.
    True and not saying all women are materialistic or gold diggers but whether they realize or admit it many do assign a monetary value to a guys feelings for them.

5. Women struggle to make a connection while remaining independent, too.
    An issue of our times...they yearn for the protector/Prince Charming but have been conditioned to not accept that.

6. They call it “women’s intuition” because they are adept at reading nonverbal cues if something feels “off” with a date.
    The reason they are mystified that a guy doesn`t do this,communicating by unspoken signs and hints is a natural for ladies among each other so expect a guy does too.

7. No woman wants to be your mother (or a carbon copy of her own).
    Who can blame anyone for that,it would be soul sucking.

8. It’s the little things that matter when it comes to impressing a woman.
    Have heard this often but mysteriously despite number 6 many ladies don`t pick up on those little things.

9. Women are slower to end relationships than men, even short-term ones.
    Probably true for a lot of reasons although have not personally experienced this one much.
    Many ladies I have known have had an on-off switch.
    In fairness though that is in the lead up stage where one misfire or hit a negative trigger ends all chances instantly.
  • Carl01
    Options
    Now the guys list...

1. Men like it when a woman makes the first move.
    Yes,you want our necks on the chopping block so at least give a sign you may not be holding an ax

2. It’s OK to play hard to get — but avoid those stale, old-school tactics.
    For me I disagree with this one,if you act hard to get I will figure you don`t want me.
    If you are truly busy I can deal with it and offering another time is not playing hard to get as the article suggests,nor is not being upfront about your sexual boundaries

3. Superficial objectification cuts both ways; in other words, men want to be loved for more than their provider status.
    Maybe it is just what I have seen but if you look at most womens online dating profile if they answer the question regarding desired income of partner they are swinging for the parking lot with their answer.
    It is one thing to look cheap but another to not meet a fantasy lottery win.

4. Men cannot read women’s minds, so speak up if you’re unhappy.
    Yes,a thousand times yes.

5. Men are more sensitive about the way they look than you think.
    Meh...some are some aren`t,we all want to be liked though.

6. Excessive communications drama can push men away.
    Everyone is different but few guys I know call just to talk and those that do seem to not have the lady appreciate it.
    This is different from checking in though if one is away,that shows care and consideration.

7. Saying “I love you” is a huge step for a guy.
    Three words a guy should be very cautious over...an emotional overload to most ladies with the results ranging from ecstasy to utter disaster,Russian roulette but with only one empty chamber and 5 loaded.
    A smart guy will always be very careful...sorry ladies,we have learned our lessons on this one and will be really sure it is desired before we say it so if you want this,let us know clearly.

8. It means something when a man introduces you to his friends.
    Yes,it should not be a test of some kind but just a running example of him being comfortable with you.
    If it is a "trophy" situation be a bit leery though.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Have heard this often but mysteriously despite number 6 many ladies don`t pick up on those little things.

your replies in general come off so jaded :laugh:

anywho, i wanted to comment on this particular one. this is the difference between does he pay attention to me or doesnt he pay attention to me for most women. it's not ANY little thing that will impress us,the ones that have the most weight are related to things we've told you we like or dont like.

it's kind of like if you keep telling a girl how much you love grilled cheese sammiches and when she finally makes you a sammich it's some god awful egg salad monstrosity. it's like as long as you were going to try and do something hat you think i might like, why make things harder for yourself but not doing the thing i specifically mentioned i liked.
  • Carl01
    Options

your replies in general come off so jaded :laugh:

anywho, i wanted to comment on this particular one. this is the difference between does he pay attention to me or doesnt he pay attention to me for most women. it's not ANY little thing that will impress us,the ones that have the most weight are related to things we've told you we like or dont like.

it's kind of like if you keep telling a girl how much you love grilled cheese sammiches and when she finally makes you a sammich it's some god awful egg salad monstrosity. it's like as long as you were going to try and do something hat you think i might like, why make things harder for yourself but not doing the thing i specifically mentioned i liked.

I really don`t think jaded as much as honestly realistic but guess one can argue that forever.

You make a good point though and in reflection am a bit surprised something along the lines of "We really do want you to listen to what we say" did not come up in the womens list.

I do that and it is received with a mixture of appreciation and sheepishness though.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    1. Men like it when a woman makes the first move.
    Oh hell yes, it gets exhausting

2. It’s OK to play hard to get — but avoid those stale, old-school tactics.
    I disagree with this too. Lots of people say they don't like game playing, and playing hard to get is game playing. If you play too hard to get I'll assume you're just not interested and move on.

3. Superficial objectification cuts both ways; in other words, men want to be loved for more than their provider status.
    This is pretty obvious, we don't want a gold digger.

4. Men cannot read women’s minds, so speak up if you’re unhappy.
    Again pretty obvious, we can't stress this often enough. And we know it goes both ways.

5. Men are more sensitive about the way they look than you think.
    I Agree with Carl, some do, most don't.

6. Excessive communications drama can push men away.
    Uh...yeah, I can't stand talking about my feelings constantly.

7. Saying “I love you” is a huge step for a guy.
    Personally, I give it a lot of time before I say this, even if it's true it doesn't mean we need to tell you. Our actions should be enough for you to know how we feel about you, we'll say it when we're ready.

8. It means something when a man introduces you to his friends.
    Not for me. It means I want to see my friends and since they're all married I don't want to feel like the odd man out.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    1. You risk it all if you wait forever to reach out to a woman who interests you.
    I think this is true. If I don't think you're interested, I don't think I'm going to wait around for you. Especially if I've been giving you OBVIOUS (not tiny smoke signals) signs that I'm interested.

True. Being terrified of commitment and a "label" I would never rush into something or try to force something to happen.

True. Another thing that men (probably) don't know is how sexy they look in button down collared shirts. Oh Lord.

50/50. If a guy is being careful with his money, that's one thing.. But something like giving a server a bad tip is really unattractive and most likely a deal-breaker.

Amen.

6. They call it “women’s intuition” because they are adept at reading nonverbal cues if something feels “off” with a date.
    Yeah, mostly.

Amen.

Yes. Like if I mentioned to you before that when I'm sick I absolutely adore oranges, and I tell you I'm sick, and you bring me oranges... ;)

No. If I want out, I want out. And I WILL get out. But I wouldn't just bail. Because I wouldn't that done to me, either.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    On the Women's list:

I'm quite frankly not really willing to take that step any longer. Did that in my 20s and only found that I chose great guys who only wanted to be my friend with no guts to be honest. So I figure now, if he's interested, he'll move, but admittedly recognize that I'd want a signal if I were in his shoes and I'm horrible at that part...

I don't know any women that fall into this category, but I'm sure they exist....

I find that it changes with time. I used to notice a man's forearms and hands, then his eyes, then quite frankly his thighs, haha. Now I notice his laugh, his smile, and ok sometimes still the other stuff, haha...

Hmm, well, I want a man who goes for value. I like nice things, but I want a great deal! I'd say I'm middle of the road here on my spend/ save ratio so I'd be looking for the same.

This is the most accurate thing on the list and precisely why I will likely stay single. I get too close too fast OR hold back to avoid it... neither work! I'm not sure how to avoid this train wreck...

Agreed... I think we're all looking for that comfortable situation though...

OMG no I don't! I'm hoping men 35+ aren't looking for one either!

It is and I do notice. Taking the time to recognize them is an issue though...

Story of my life!! My first relationship dragged on for years because I thought it would some day work out if the circumstances were different... but it didn't and never would so I'm thankful I finally saw the light!

Wow, all I can say is that we all want a LOT... and are all a mess?! Just how DOES anyone get together any more? Oh yeah... alcohol! I need a drink....