Introductions

Options
Searching for groups for breastfeeding moms, I discovered that 1) there weren't that many, and 2) they were geared mainly towards trying to lose weight. Personally, I'm having the opposite problem. I've always struggled to maintain a weight I feel comfortable at, but breastfeeding has put me at an unhealthy weight. I've lost waaaaaay too much. I know I'm not the only one. But I also don't want to this group to be limited to people like me. That's boring. If you're breastfeeding, you're welcome here! Introduce yourself! I'll start:

I'm Aubry. I'm 29 years old and my first and only child is 9 months old. I'll say that I'm "exclusively" breastfeeding, but that just means that she doesn't get formula. Obviously, at this age she's starting on solids. My goal is to continue breastfeeding until she's at least 1, and then... we'll see. I work at a hospital full time, an right now my husband is a SAHD, which means the moneys is TIGHT, and it's that much harder to meet my caloric goal, which is currently set at 2400, but should probably be 3000. I'm 5'7'' and currently weigh 113 (which is waaaaaay less than pre-baby) and I've set my goal weight at 123. I'd really like to be around 130, but I don't want to set myself up for failure. Right now, I'm failing anyway. Look forward to meeting some other mamas! :happy:

Replies

• sweetnotsour
    sweetnotsour Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm turning 30 on Tuesday (whoohoo), I'm still breastfeeding my 14 month old baby boy, although obviously not exclusively, he eats normal meals too. I don't have a particular timeline for stopping, although we are most likely going to start working on a second one here pretty soon and I don't want to be pregnant and nursing. I am within 5 lbs of my prebaby weight that jut wont budge but I also would like to lose more after that. Anyways, it's nice to have likeminded mamas even if our goals aren't exactly the same!
  • doctorjessie
    doctorjessie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My name is Jessica and I'm a 35 year old mother of a 20 month old daughter that still nurses. We just found out we are expecting #2 in January. My original bf goal was 18-24 months or sooner if she self-weaned. I am expecting my supply to drop during the pregnancy so we'll see how weaning goes. She sure loves her milkies so not sure she's gonna take to weaning very well. : /
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    hey ladies!! Still nursing my 27 month old daughter and have no plans on weaning her. I'm 34 years old- a full time teacher in a middle school and mother of 2 (my son is 4 and my daughter is 2). Life can be busy but I wouldn't trade it for the world
  • majordlite
    majordlite Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Sharon, 48, mother only to Samantha (Sam), who just turned 25 months. In the past two months, on the advice of her pediatrician, I've cut back the nursing to about 4 times a day, and I'm not sure she's getting a whole lot, but it's about the only milk she'll drink. The doctor thinks it might be keeping her from drinking other healthy liquids. Not sure when I'll wean her totally, because she's only in the 2 percentile weight-wise, and I just don't want her to miss what BFing might be providing her.

I've lost 16 lbs since I started on MFP about 9 weeks ago, and I'm right at 10 lbs below my pre-baby weight. I'd like to lose another 15 lbs, but I might adjust that if I think I've toned up enough at a higher weight. Thanks for starting this group!
  • lillylouxx
    Options
    Hi there, I'm 29 and my little girl is 5 months old on Sunday. I am currently 196lbs (14 st) :0( and my goal is to get down to 140lbs (10 stone). I'm new to MFP, having only found it last week! I have so far lost about 20-30lbs since delivery (I was 2 stone/28lbs overweight before I conceived). So I'm exclusively breastfeeding my little one and would like to get her to 2 years if possible but will let her self wean as and when she is ready. I am not due back at work until October so I still have lots of time with her! I am doing strength training 6 times per week and cardio 2. I'm also getting out walking for 1-2 hours at least four times a week! Nice to meet you all!
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Hi mamas! I'm nursing my fourth (and hopefully last) ”baby” (he is nearly 31 months now). I have no idea if nursing is still burning calories for me or not, at this point he only nurses before nap and at bedtime and maybe an occasional extra during the day if he's not feeling well, not even sure I have much milk left, I lost a lot of weight pretty quickly and the boobs were the first to go, but I'm still hungry ALL THE TIME. I mostly try to ignore it, but it's not pleasant having constant hunger be your normative state. ::sigh::

How awesome to see so many extended BFing MFPers! Go us! :D
  • MommyCatM
    MommyCatM Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Mamas!, I'm 35 and nursing #2 who just turned 6 mos this past week and plan to nurse for at least 2 years per WHO and AAP recommendations. Baby #1 nursed for 15 mos until she just stopped one day. So we will see. Trying to loose 30 pounds or so. Will take me back to the weight I was when I met my husband. After the initial 30 pounds lost after baby the scale has stubbornly stayed in the same place these last 4 months. Here's hoping for a change! I am currently doing a program called Body Back which is part of Stroller Strides, but for Mommys only. The program seems to be working so far. At least hubby complimented my backside the other day, so that is something. Nice to meet other BF mommys. Best of luck ladies
  • mommyjessica02
    Options
    My name is Jessie and I am very well over my pre baby weight, but then again, I've been popping them out like a gumball machine for seven years now, lol. This is in theory my last one, but my husband and I don't exactly know how we feel about that, I mean neither of us are even thirty yet, so we don't want to limit our choices that way. I am currently breastfeeding my 3 month old, and I plan to keep that up for as long as she is comfortable with, but I am really starting to question so of the parents that go into the fifth year of it. I personally think that would cause some social development issues considering our societies expectations for independence at such an early age. I am very big on eating healthy, but I am like my mother and my grandmother, where I make good food to give to my kids, which not ony includes fruit veggies and lean proteins, but I am great cookie and brownie maker as well. I know I don't have to give up on the yummy bad foods, but I need to stop eating leftovers for the sake of hating waste. I don't force my children to eat everything on their plate unless there is a good reason, but at the same time I need to stop feeling that full is normal.I am really trying to teach my children that when your satiated you stop eating, and that stuffed is not good for you
  • natalieField
    Options
    Hi ladies,

My name is Natalie and I'm a mother to two boys - first born was breastfed til 2 1/2 yo, and yeah - it did prevent him from drinking cow's milk as often - no worries tho - when he weaned he started drinking other liquids like water, watered down juice and milk in healthy amounts - and a fairly new baby boy that is nursing right now - like a little champ - he is 4 1/2 months old.

My pregnancies both put me over the edge weight wise - almost to 200lbs, and both times right after birth i'd lose roughly 40-50lbs and maintain at 150~lbs or so.

This time around I'm hovering around 160lbs and it's taking bit of a toll on my health - winded, back pains etc
    My goal is to drop down to my pre-marriage weight of 135lbs - which shouldn't be too difficult, but has been.. for some reason.

I'm also trying to do it in a very healthy - perhaps slow way - since i am breastfeeding and planning to let my boy wean on his own.
    Hopefully mamas here feel the same and we can share some tips, ideas and stories.

:)
  • raaupperle
    Options
    Number 1 I am so glad there are so many moms in here that are nursing older babies. That was the first thing I check cuz I don't like haters :o). I am nursing my second who is almost 21 months. She is a little peanut so she doesn't take in the milk like my first. With my oldest it was so easy lose weight while running and nursing. With her not so much and it has been frustrating.

I start MFP about 3 months ago and lost 6 lbs. Then I was in a rut, so I stopped for awhile to focus on my running to get back into better shape. Now I think I am ready to do both! I am at 155 and my first goal is 145 :o)
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    I'm happily feeding my daughter who is almost 12 month old as I write and hoping to keep going until 2ish-self weaning. I have a stone and a half to lose but I'll be happy with a stone. I have a 4 year old daughter too.
  • sageskye
    sageskye Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Number 1 I am so glad there are so many moms in here that are nursing older babies.

I was happy to see so many older kids still nursing too. My daughter is 2 1/2 and still nursing although it is mostly just at night now. My first daughter nursed until she was just past 3 years when I became pregnant with my second so I am not sure how the weaning will go this time!
  • coastiebride1120
    coastiebride1120 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Jessica, I am a SAHM to a 7 month old, I am also a military wife my husband is deployed currently. Our son just started an introduction to solids recently and are looking forward with any luck to nurse into toddlerhood. Feel free to add me
  • tiffany1226
    tiffany1226 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm Tiffany. Mommy to 2 little boys (5 years and 6 months) I work parttime as a nurse. :) Looking to BF DS2 for a year. I'm having trouble finding a happy medium with keeping up my supply and losing weight. Seems like its one of the other. AHH!
  • deemommii
    deemommii Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, my name is Delisha but everyone calls me Dee. I'm a stay at home mom of six and currently breastfeeding my 3 1/2 month old baby girl. I never tried losing weight while nursing my other children. I'm wrapping up week two of my weight loss journey. We have decided that six kids is ENOUGH and I'm ready to get my body back!Feel free to add me;)
  • candlkim
    candlkim Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi everyone! M name is Kim and I was very happy to find this group. I am a mom of 3 children, my oldest will be 20 years old next month, my middle is 15 and I have a 16 month old baby. She is still nursing and seems to have no plans to stop anytime soon. It was so nice to see other mom's still nursing after one year. My older children both stopped nursing before one year but this one refuses to drink milk at all. I've tried all kinds of milk and she doesn't seem to like any of them. She will drink water out of a cup and some solid food but still more interested in mom's milk than anything else. She is also very tiny at only about 16 lbs. so I want to make sure she is getting all she needs.

I was almost 44 when I had her and was already overweight by quite a bit so I was careful and only gained about 18 lbs. with the pregnancy. That weight came off within 3 months. I haven't been able to lose any weight since then even though I joined a gym and workout with a weight loss team 3 days a week for the past 8 months. I'm hoping that by adding MFP along with the gym that I'll start to see some movement but I believe it won't really come off until after my daughter is weaned. In the meantime I'm planning to develop good eating habits again and go from there.

Looking forward to getting to know you.
  • momabuck
    momabuck Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello My name is Kelly. I am mom to 4 boys ages 6, 4, 1, and 8 months. I am currently still nursing baby boy #4. As I am sure you can imagine having four boys has kept me pretty busy, but now that things seem to have slowed down for a minutes I am going to try to work on myself. I am currently 162 lbs and I am looking to get down to 130. Can't wait to start my weight loss journey with all of you!!
  • Hherman20
    Hherman20 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello!

My hubby and I "converted" to the primal diet about a year and a half ago. My primary goal was not weight loss most of that time since I got pregnant shortly after but I didn't need to worry about it because most of the baby weight came off almost right away! But my baby is now 8 and a half months and I'd like to attack those last 5-10 vanity pounds. So I'm using MFP to not only track my foods but watch my carb and calorie numbers.

I'm breastfeeding baby girl around 3 times a day as she is eating more and more solid foods so I'm working on how many calories I need to cover that extra burn. And I'm also working on that non-primal meal on the weekend. Since joining MFP three weeks ago, I've lost 1-3 lbs per week, only to gain them back every weekend! I'm seeing, for me, it's not just the number of calories but where those calories are coming from that matter.

I'd love to have some more Mommy friends on here, especially Primal/Paleo parents. Feel free to add me :)

Hannah
  • gallerygirl21
    gallerygirl21 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am a nursing mom who also works full time. I am trying to get back in shape after being pregnant/nursing for the past 4 years. I'm also interested in connecting with other Mom's doing the same. Hello!
  • MrsSArias
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm Samantha. I have two boys a 2 year old, and a 5 month old baby. I'm bf my baby, and trying to loose the 35 pounds I gained from pregnancy plus some more to hit my goal. With my older son I bf, and had a hard time. He was a small baby, and doctors gave me a hard time because he just didn't gain wieght quick enough for them. I would get nervous that I wasn't getting enough calories, or working out too much. My son is still a small kid, so I don't think it was me. Now with my second I'm trying to meet my 2200 limit, and working out 5 days a week. I have lost a total of 26lbs. Its seems way easier this time around. I don't seem to have a problem keeping my milk supply, and I'm hoping to keep bf as long as possible, and hopfully lose another 25lbs.