Muscle Weight to Fat Weight

Options
rejie1
rejie1 Posts: 20 Member
Have always been told that muscle weighs more than fat. So when do you reach a point that you are more muscle than fat? And do you have a hard time reaching your goal if you get to that point where you are not losing and it could be more muscle than fat? How should you jump start it again? Am asking for someone else who has not lost anything for two months. And to roladex it away for me also WHEN I get to that point.

Replies

• Going4Healthy
    Going4Healthy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of discussion about muscle weighing more than fat on the boards--and I don't know which is the right answer.

I can tell you from past experience, that once I was gaining more muscle, the weight loss did slow down but inches were dropping faster. Try tracking your inches as well as your weight.

Also, you may want to use the MFP tool to verify your calorie intake. Again, once you are gaining more muscle, you need more calories. It may be that you aren't getting enough calories so the loss has slowed down. I know it sounds crazy, but it's fact.

Another thing you can try to "shock" your body--> yo-yo your calories for a week or two. A day of 2000 cal, a day of 1200 cal, a day of 1500 cal, etc. This way your body doesn't get comfortable with one level of calories.... then go back to your suggested intake.

I hope this helps and hang in there. The fact that you've lost almost 60 pounds is amazing!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with tracking your measurements and maybe take pics once a month or so. Someone once posted a picture to show what 5lbs of fat looks like next to 5 lbs of muscle- the "muscle" was much smaller- lean rather than bulky. Like G4H said, the weight loss might slow a bit if you're gaining muscle but if you're still overweight, the pounds should still be able to come off. For your friend, there could be so many factors involved. Could it be that she's already very close to her goal? If not, eating the right amount could be a factor- you might want to look up your BMR and TDEE- I still get the two confused but if you search those terms in the forums, you can get the links to sites that will get you that info- apparently that gives a much more accurate calorie goal than MFP does- it sounds like MFP defaults to 1,200 a LOT for anyone who puts "2 lb/week" as their goal but for most people, that's not enough cals, especially if they don't eat back their exercise cals. Personally, I upped my cals from 1,200 to 1,400 and don't eat many of my exercise cals. Some people might not agree that's the way to go but it's been working for me.