Please scare me

Options
mixedfeelings
mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
I couldn't think of a better subject title but I've recently become disillusioned with horror films, every time one comes out that promises to be scary I want to watch it, then I hear other people say it's scary, it will make you jump so I watch it and nothing and on top of that most of the films are disappointing as well.

Now when I was younger I didn't watch horror films, I was terrified of even Labyrinth, in my late teens I snowballed into the world of horror so I don't think I'm ruined I just need help finding films to scare me enough that my partner has to take me to the loo.

For example, films that have led to disappointment have been Paranormal Activity 1 & 2, I'm going to give 3 a chance but I've not got my hopes up, any remakes that I have watched just because they were on TV, apart from Rob Zombie's Halloween series, anything with haunting or exorcism in the title.

Now [REC] and the Thai film "Shutter" have both scared me but I need more, I want something scary to look forward to, any ideas?

Replies

• missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    First, let me say I AM SO GLAD THIS IS A GROUP! I wouldn't have found it, if I didn't click on your post. My husband and I are horror film junkies. However, he appreciates the cheesy ones a little more than I do. Like you, I want to be scared!
    On Netflix, I tried Grave Encounters, which was pretty scary - in a ghostly, haunting way.
    Rob Zombies movies are all pretty creepy, if you haven't given them all a go - I definitely recommend you to. House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects shook me up.
    I am also freaked out with all The Hills Have Eyes movies - Have you seen these?!
    Let me know what ya think! ;)
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    First, let me say I AM SO GLAD THIS IS A GROUP! I wouldn't have found it, if I didn't click on your post. My husband and I are horror film junkies. However, he appreciates the cheesy ones a little more than I do. Like you, I want to be scared!
    On Netflix, I tried Grave Encounters, which was pretty scary - in a ghostly, haunting way.
    Rob Zombies movies are all pretty creepy, if you haven't given them all a go - I definitely recommend you to. House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects shook me up.
    I am also freaked out with all The Hills Have Eyes movies - Have you seen these?!
    Let me know what ya think! ;)

I love the original Hills Have Eyes, I like that sort of era of American horror. I'll check out Grave Encounters, don't have netflix as it's a bit rubbish over here, I trialled it when it was released here this year but it didn't have that much good stuff, it might be something that will show up on the horror channel though.

I'm a big fan of "cheese" though too, mainly old cheese though.

I've borrowed a couple of dvds from my aunts partner, the first two I've seen but the last I can't remember if I've watched, "Shivers", "A Tale of Two Sisters" and "Phone". I have the first week of July off work as I won't be going anywhere it means there will have to be at least two horror film marathons although I usually stick to old British horror and Italian Giallo. Will have to work out in good time if there is anything else I need to get!

I should mention if you haven't seen the film "Murder Party" that's worth seeing.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The only horror movies to come out in the past ten years that are any good whatsoever are 28 Days Later/28 Weeks Later (though the latter bothers me because it seemed a little needlessly misogynistic ...) and Rob Zombie's films. Everything else just ... tries so hard and pretty much fails miserably! The problem is that horror movies have generally been intended for comical purposes since their inception, sometimes containing actual scares. Modern takes on this are especially apparent in, for example, Drag Me To Hell which, while being pretty good, is kind of ridiculous, as well.

However, I did like the movie Frozen, though it's more suspense, as well as Devil.

Session 9 was a good movie. It's got scary elements to it, but I wouldn't rank it as "wet-my-pants" scary.

I liked The Crazies; I've not seen the original. The Descent 1 & 2 are pretty great; the latter less so, but totally watchable.

There are a lot of obvious ones I left out because I presume you to have seen them, and I figure you've also seen all the ones I've listed above, too, but may as well list them just in case :)

Additionally just in case, some obvious ones:

Friday the 13th
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    The Thing
    The Exorcist
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    Poltergeist
    Dawn of the Dead
    (original or remake)
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (again, original or remake)
    The Shining

I'm also always on the look out for good horror, but it's certainly few and far between. I'll update you if I find anything else that's good out there. I'm kinda psyched to look into Rec now, looks like it could be good!
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The only horror movies to come out in the past ten years that are any good whatsoever are 28 Days Later/28 Weeks Later (though the latter bothers me because it seemed a little needlessly misogynistic ...) and Rob Zombie's films. Everything else just ... tries so hard and pretty much fails miserably! The problem is that horror movies have generally been intended for comical purposes since their inception, sometimes containing actual scares. Modern takes on this are especially apparent in, for example, Drag Me To Hell which, while being pretty good, is kind of ridiculous, as well.

However, I did like the movie Frozen, though it's more suspense, as well as Devil.

Session 9 was a good movie. It's got scary elements to it, but I wouldn't rank it as "wet-my-pants" scary.

I liked The Crazies; I've not seen the original. The Descent 1 & 2 are pretty great; the latter less so, but totally watchable.

There are a lot of obvious ones I left out because I presume you to have seen them, and I figure you've also seen all the ones I've listed above, too, but may as well list them just in case :)

Additionally just in case, some obvious ones:

Friday the 13th
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    The Thing
    The Exorcist
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    Poltergeist
    Dawn of the Dead
    (original or remake)
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (again, original or remake)
    The Shining

I'm also always on the look out for good horror, but it's certainly few and far between. I'll update you if I find anything else that's good out there. I'm kinda psyched to look into Rec now, looks like it could be good!

Good selections. Frozen was another good one that surprised me. The Descents were also pretty freaky.
  • Gyoza11
    Gyoza11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I couldn't think of a better subject title but I've recently become disillusioned with horror films, every time one comes out that promises to be scary I want to watch it, then I hear other people say it's scary, it will make you jump so I watch it and nothing and on top of that most of the films are disappointing as well.

Now when I was younger I didn't watch horror films, I was terrified of even Labyrinth, in my late teens I snowballed into the world of horror so I don't think I'm ruined I just need help finding films to scare me enough that my partner has to take me to the loo.

For example, films that have led to disappointment have been Paranormal Activity 1 & 2, I'm going to give 3 a chance but I've not got my hopes up, any remakes that I have watched just because they were on TV, apart from Rob Zombie's Halloween series, anything with haunting or exorcism in the title.

Now [REC] and the Thai film "Shutter" have both scared me but I need more, I want something scary to look forward to, any ideas?

Wow. Are you me? You just fully described how I got in to horror movies :P
    Off the top of my head though; the original One missed call (Japanese one) freaked me out a lot.
  • TakeMyWifePlease
    Options
    In general it's going to be harder for rabid fans of horror to find something genuinely scary over time. You expose yourself to so many horrific scenarios that it becomes a challenge to be surprised or frightened after awhile. We don't necessarily become jaded or cynical, but definitely harder to please the more well versed in the genre we are. For example I work with a young guy who doesn't watch horror movies and he always equates Scream with the end all be all of horror on screen because that's probably the only horror movie he has actually watched from beginning to end. It scared the hell out of him.

It works similarly with gore in movies. There comes a certain point where you feel you've seen it all and know how it's all done and that nothing can surprise you. But then a filmmaker or special effects artist comes along and changes everything for you.

Just keep your eyes peeled and the next thing to frighten you is hopefully lurking just around the corner.

Usually it happens when you least expect it. Overhype can kill the experience of discovering some creepy "unknown" movie. That was probably why I didn't enjoy Paranormal Activity as much as everybody else seemed to. That and the lack luster ending.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    In general it's going to be harder for rabid fans of horror to find something genuinely scary over time. You expose yourself to so many horrific scenarios that it becomes a challenge to be surprised or frightened after awhile. We don't necessarily become jaded or cynical, but definitely harder to please the more well versed in the genre we are. For example I work with a young guy who doesn't watch horror movies and he always equates Scream with the end all be all of horror on screen because that's probably the only horror movie he has actually watched from beginning to end. It scared the hell out of him.

It works similarly with gore in movies. There comes a certain point where you feel you've seen it all and know how it's all done and that nothing can surprise you. But then a filmmaker or special effects artist comes along and changes everything for you.

Just keep your eyes peeled and the next thing to frighten you is hopefully lurking just around the corner.

Usually it happens when you least expect it. Overhype can kill the experience of discovering some creepy "unknown" movie. That was probably why I didn't enjoy Paranormal Activity as much as everybody else seemed to. That and the lack luster ending.

Totally agree with this, except, maybe ask the guy why he likes Scream so much. I loved Scream, not because it was scary (it wasn't), but because it played with the conventions of horror movies that we know so well and still delivered in terms of plot.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options

I would say continue your current trend of Spanish and Oriental horror then. For some reasons the movies that they make have a certain raw flair to them that the American and British horror movies that I have seen. American movies focus waaay too much on special effects, the handful of British horror I've seen remains true as well.

You havent tried Ju-on (The Grudge) have you? I saw both versions of The Ring <And Ringu> and Ringu was so much more scary with nothing but atmosphere. I'm going through my memory right now to try and think of some movies that disturbed me but right now I am drawing a blank. Its far too early. I always have more fun with foreign horror though.
  • d0gma
    d0gma Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I saw both versions of The Ring <And Ringu> and Ringu was so much more scary with nothing but atmosphere.

Which version did you see first? I saw The Ring first (loved it), then rented Ringu and was bored.
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options

^ Agree with this. I watch ALOT of horror, as in almost daily, so get disappointed alot as well. However I did enjoy PA, which I went in expecting the worst of the worst and fell in love with it, for me it was the atmosphere and the slow buildup and the simple tricks not the BIG Hollywood special effects.
    I don't recommend Grave Encounters but to each their own you may like it. i will jump on the wagon for Frozen, another I went in expecting a total bomb and loved it.
    I don't get scared easily and therefore can't say I have seen a movie that made me wet my pants or have a sleepless night(with exception of 1), but ones that are GOOD:

May
    Martyrs
    Descent
    The Shrine
    Absentia
    Deadgirl
    Audition
    Altered

I will also add I really enjoyed Black Water and the Reef. I also second Spanish and Asian films :D