Dietitian and or Nutritionist

Options
evajg
evajg Posts: 38 Member
Are there any dietitians or nutritionists in this group? I would like an idea of what a good balance of carb/fat/sugar is and total daily calories. I am type 2, high blood pressure, high cholesterol.
I weigh 180 and should way 135 tops according to the chart.
I have been doing pretty good the past few weeks (by my standards).....have lost over 10 pounds, fasting glucose level is coming down as well as bp. But still not sure for the long run.
Thanks for any and all help.

Replies

• chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    welcome....
    most insurance should pay for you to see one for the diabetes. mine pays to see her 4 times a year. allot depends on your blood work numbers. there is a standard of 45 per meal, 15 per snack, 30 evening snack. this is what i have learned in class over the years. some people got higher or lower numbers, because of their blood work numbers. because of the high blood pressure, and cholesterol they make a difference. some people adjust from there to where they are losing weight. carb sensitivity has allot to do with the weight loss too. i am finding the older i get the more sensitive to carbs i am getting. i have to watch at night to not have a high morning reading.
    a couple of good sites are dlife.com and the american diabetes association site.

good luck to you.
  • evajg
    evajg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks.....I think I would like to visit a nutrionist just to make sure I am following what is right for me.
  • CJuliaV
    CJuliaV Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi, evajg! My stats are not unlike yours. I started at 207 (5'6"), need to be be around 145, diagnosis 6 weeks ago with FBS of 249, A1c of 11+, slightly elevated blood pressure, high triglycerides and bad cholesterol. Now I'm in the 120s for FBS, 10 lbs down, bp normal, though still on crestor til we check A1c again in another 7 weeks.

I have an awesome reg dietician. She explained, and my endocrinologist concurred that we need 135 carbs per day to sustain normal brain function. So we made that one of my goals. That number is the same for everyone. What has made the weight loss and eating this way possible is upping my intake of fat, and switching to healthy fats almost exclusively: avocado, olive oil, salmon, and nuts. To keep my calcium up, I also drink 1% milk, and use 2% plain yogurt in lots of dishes. It was v strange to eat more fat. It made me nervous. So my protein goal is 100-150 g/day and fat is about 90-130 g/day. Fiber should be around 30. My RD also noticed, I have no idea how, that I was vitamin D deficient. So I take a 5000 pill every morning. Your gp can do that test for you v easily and it should be covered by insurance. My BCBS plan covers the dietician.

Best of luck and sounds like you are doing a great job. Hope this is helpful.:smile: