Need a sanity check!

Options
PeachyPlum
PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
I wanted to introduce myself and ask if I'm in the right place here!

My name is Jessica and I started here on MFP in the beginning of April. Of course, I started out at the MFP one size fits all 1200 calores, and was starving to death all the time. I posted on the forums, and on the advice of several people, upped my calories a bit.
At the end of April, I hadn't lost an ounce, so I folled the Fat2Fit TDEE calculations, and calculated my average TDEE at 1730 calories. I started eating at 1530 (and not eating back exercise, of course). I dropped 2 lbs almost immediately, then stopped seeing any progress. A well-meaning MFP friend, who has been quite sucessful herself, told me I was eating way too much, and that my activity level was really low, and I should be eating around 1200 based on her calculations. I was skeptical despite her obvious success in her own weight loss, and I stuck with eating 1530 for the entire month of May, only to see no change at the end of the month.
I dropped my calories to 1360 (TDEE - 20%) and also went out and got myself a BodyMedia fit because I was feeling like all this estimation and guesswork was making me crazy.
This is only my 3rd day wearing it, but it's safe to say my average TDEE is probably somewhere around 2250!!!! Friday was a run day, and a busy day at work, and I burned 2500 calories. Yesterday was a rest day, and a non-work day, and I was pretty much lazy, and still burned 2000+ calories.

So, at my new TDEE of 2250, minus 20%, I come up with 1800 calories a day. That's a big jump from 1360!

Does my math sound right? I feel like this makes SO much more sense, and would explain why I saw an initial loss when I upped to 1530, then quickly plateaued again. It would also explain why I'm exhausted all the time! I'm about ready to reset my goals and give this a try for the month, but I'm freaking out a tiny bit!

Replies

• mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I wanted to introduce myself and ask if I'm in the right place here!

My name is Jessica and I started here on MFP in the beginning of April. Of course, I started out at the MFP one size fits all 1200 calores, and was starving to death all the time. I posted on the forums, and on the advice of several people, upped my calories a bit.
    At the end of April, I hadn't lost an ounce, so I folled the Fat2Fit TDEE calculations, and calculated my average TDEE at 1730 calories. I started eating at 1530 (and not eating back exercise, of course). I dropped 2 lbs almost immediately, then stopped seeing any progress. A well-meaning MFP friend, who has been quite sucessful herself, told me I was eating way too much, and that my activity level was really low, and I should be eating around 1200 based on her calculations. I was skeptical despite her obvious success in her own weight loss, and I stuck with eating 1530 for the entire month of May, only to see no change at the end of the month.
    I dropped my calories to 1360 (TDEE - 20%) and also went out and got myself a BodyMedia fit because I was feeling like all this estimation and guesswork was making me crazy.
    This is only my 3rd day wearing it, but it's safe to say my average TDEE is probably somewhere around 2250!!!! Friday was a run day, and a busy day at work, and I burned 2500 calories. Yesterday was a rest day, and a non-work day, and I was pretty much lazy, and still burned 2000+ calories.

So, at my new TDEE of 2250, minus 20%, I come up with 1800 calories a day. That's a big jump from 1360!

Does my math sound right? I feel like this makes SO much more sense, and would explain why I saw an initial loss when I upped to 1530, then quickly plateaued again. It would also explain why I'm exhausted all the time! I'm about ready to reset my goals and give this a try for the month, but I'm freaking out a tiny bit!
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Yes youre on the right track! Let the haters hate! : P

Stay consistent, you will see results!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the reply! Here we go!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    That sound about right.

You might want to change it even to TDEE-15% instead of the 20%

Just keep it up and stay consistent then you will be fine :)

In case nothing changes on the scale-you should think about doing a metabolic reset.