So Im Not Supposed To Eat my Exercise Calories Back?

deevatude
deevatude Posts: 322 Member
calorie goal is 1800, when i workout i usually burn around 400 calories.

so i dont eat those extra 400 calories? i usually workout so that i can eat more lol, but according to the emwl guidelines im not supposed to eat it.

i dont get it

Replies

• kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Depends on your BMR - if you dont meet your BMR when you exercise then you need to eat enough back to at least meet your BMR. So if you eat 1800 and burn 400 but your BMR is 1600 you would need to eat 200 of your exercise calories back :)
  • deevatude
    so i basically have to net my bmr only?
  • kazzsjourney
    Eat a cut of 15% from TDEE and then if with exercise you are under BMR eat enough to meet your BMR
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    so i basically have to net my bmr only?
    What are you using to calculate your calories? If you are using the scoobysworkshop calorie calculator, then no, you don't need to eat back your exercise calories, unless your exercise brings you netting under BMR. You always want to net above BMR, but never below. It's actually a good idea to be a little above. Figure out your TDEE and then subtract 15%.
    Let me give an example:
    Let's say your BMR is 1500. You figure your TDEE minus 15% is 1800. So, if you burn under 300 calories from exercise, you eat the 1800. But let's say you went on a long run and burned 1000 calories, then you will need to eat an extra 700 calories.
    Hope that helps!
    Becca
  • deevatude
    i calculated everything, my bmr is 1640 and tdee is around 2200

i set my calories to 1800 and assumed that i have to net 1800. thats y i was wondering about the exercise calories.
  • kazzsjourney
    Your cut of 15% would be 1870 cals per day...and you eat back everything over 230 calories you earn from exercise
  • deevatude
    Your cut of 15% would be 1870 cals per day...and you eat back everything over 230 calories you earn from exercise

1870 plus the 230 from exercise im supposed to eat back?
  • kazzsjourney
    You eat back anything over 230...so if you burn 400 eat back at least 170 cals
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member

Yup! Happy eating!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    I had that exact same question!! thanks for clarifying!!
  • deevatude

im gonna eat some of the exercise calories back but i want to know y i have to even tho im gonna net 1800 regardless?
  • vatblack
    vatblack Posts: 221 Member
    I have been lurking for a while, being too afraid to ask questions and to do this! Thanks for the question, this clarified things for me a lot.
  • MrsKosal
    MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
    Your TDEE cut is 1870-which you should eat daily. If you workout and the calories you burn make you NET less than 1640 (Your BMR), then you'd eat enough calories to NET your BMR of 1640.

So if you workout and burn 300 calories, that leaves you a NET of only 1570. So you'd want to eat back 70 calories to make sure you NET at least 1640.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I would also like to add that if you are consistently having to eat back calories because your burn is taking you below your BMR then you probably did not select the correct activity level.
  • deevatude
    Your TDEE cut is 1870-which you should eat daily. If you workout and the calories you burn make you NET less than 1640 (Your BMR), then you'd eat enough calories to NET your BMR of 1640.

So if you workout and burn 300 calories, that leaves you a NET of only 1570. So you'd want to eat back 70 calories to make sure you NET at least 1640.

ok thanx

i was sooo confused
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    so I learn more every day here thank you for your input
  • dzinergrl18
    dzinergrl18 Posts: 105 Member
    I would also like to add that if you are consistently having to eat back calories because your burn is taking you below your BMR then you probably did not select the correct activity level.

This is a good thing to remember. If you have a week of always eating back calories, go back to the scooby site and refigure TDEE and BMR...wouldn't have thought of that!! Thanks;)