I'm new, scared and have questions

DaysFlyBy
DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
Hi everyone! I'm new to this group (and this concept) and I've been reading like a fiend here but I have a few questions.

Background: I had been losing weight slowly slowly on my own without really watching calories I was just doing the 'Breakfast Like a King...' Thing. I found MFP in mid-Feb and was directed to the infamous 1200 cal/day goal. I nearly ALWAYS ate well over goal because I was starving all the time, but I felt would workout until I was way UNDER goal, netting around 900 cal, give or take. I lost weight so fast and my body looked absolutely amazing compared to what it had before joining MFP. For the first time in over a decade I felt pretty and I walked out my door every day hungry but happy and confident. But after only 1.5 months my face looked gaunt and drawn and I started losing a lot of hair. Had my thyroid checked and it was fine so figured it was from losing weight so quickly. As time went on I gradually began eating more because the hunger became insane. I also cut my daily workouts from 2+ hours down to 1-1.5 hours/day. The scale didn't move but my jeans were getting tighter so I panicked, posted over in the General forum where some kind soul directed me to this group.

Question 1: since I only did the 1200 cal thing for about three months, and since during that time I always ate over 1200 (albeit sweat my way well below goal and BMR every day), do I really need to do a metabolism reset?

Question 2: if I alternate 1.5 hours of weights one day with 1 hour (+/-) of treadmill the other days taking a day or two off, and a few times/week I take my younger two kids on a 35-60 min walk pulling them in a wagon for a combined load of roughly 130 lbs, but that's really all I do for purposeful exercise, would I fall under 'moderately' active or the next level up?

Question 3: what is considered 'lifting heavy'? Right more I'm just using 10lb dumbbells and ankle weights. They feel heavy to me but somehow I'm thinking heavy lifting is a lot heavier lol.

Question 4: how can I use my FitBit to calculate my TDEE? I just want to see how close I get to the quote on Scooby.

I think that's it for now. This scares the **** out of me but I think my body is in need of this. :[

ETA: I'm 35, started at 174 lbs, currently down to 120, would like to lose just 5 more lbs and STAY at that weight forever, lol. I'm only 5 ft 1.8 in tall, if that helps.

Replies

• jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Hi, welcome to em2wl!!

Well done on being nearly at goal, I am 5' & hoping to get to where you are!

A lot of the new members are doing the metabolism reset, there is a sticky on it at the top, sounds like this would be a good idea for you as you've been so low for a while.

Some others will come along and answer your exercise questions! I do body-weight 3x a week & cardio 2x & class myself as moderately active.

Good luck on your journey : )
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Hi everyone! I'm new to this group (and this concept) and I've been reading like a fiend here but I have a few questions.

Background: I had been losing weight slowly slowly on my own without really watching calories I was just doing the 'Breakfast Like a King...' Thing. I found MFP in mid-Feb and was directed to the infamous 1200 cal/day goal. I nearly ALWAYS ate well over goal because I was starving all the time, but I felt would workout until I was way UNDER goal, netting around 900 cal, give or take. I lost weight so fast and my body looked absolutely amazing compared to what it had before joining MFP. For the first time in over a decade I felt pretty and I walked out my door every day hungry but happy and confident. But after only 1.5 months my face looked gaunt and drawn and I started losing a lot of hair. Had my thyroid checked and it was fine so figured it was from losing weight so quickly. As time went on I gradually began eating more because the hunger became insane. I also cut my daily workouts from 2+ hours down to 1-1.5 hours/day. The scale didn't move but my jeans were getting tighter so I panicked, posted over in the General forum where some kind soul directed me to this group.

Question 1: since I only did the 1200 cal thing for about three months, and since during that time I always ate over 1200 (albeit sweat my way well below goal and BMR every day), do I really need to do a metabolism reset?

Question 2: if I alternate 1.5 hours of weights one day with 1 hour (+/-) of treadmill the other days taking a day or two off, and a few times/week I take my younger two kids on a 35-60 min walk pulling them in a wagon for a combined load of roughly 130 lbs, but that's really all I do for purposeful exercise, would I fall under 'moderately' active or the next level up?

Question 3: what is considered 'lifting heavy'? Right more I'm just using 10lb dumbbells and ankle weights. They feel heavy to me but somehow I'm thinking heavy lifting is a lot heavier lol.

Question 4: how can I use my FitBit to calculate my TDEE? I just want to see how close I get to the quote on Scooby.

I think that's it for now. This scares the **** out of me but I think my body is in need of this. :[

ETA: I'm 35, started at 174 lbs, currently down to 120, would like to lose just 5 more lbs and STAY at that weight forever, lol. I'm only 5 ft 1.8 in tall, if that helps.

Hi there, in regards to lifting heavy: Lifting heavy is different for everyone but you basically need to lift until muscle exertion....meaning you couldn't possibly do another rep at the end of your set. I have a feeling that 10 lbs and ankle weights isn't heavy for you. Any added weight will feel heavy of course but I am betting you could do 20-30+ reps with that weight. I think a general rule of thumb is if you can do more than 12 reps then you are ready to increase the weight.

And in terms of your activity level, it sounds like you should be in the moderate range.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member

Hi there, in regards to lifting heavy: Lifting heavy is different for everyone but you basically need to lift until muscle exertion....meaning you couldn't possibly do another rep at the end of your set. I have a feeling that 10 lbs and ankle weights isn't heavy for you. Any added weight will feel heavy of course but I am betting you could do 20-30+ reps with that weight. I think a general rule of thumb is if you can do more than 12 reps then you are ready to increase the weight.

And in terms of your activity level, it sounds like you should be in the moderate range.

I dont have a ftbit but I understand you get a report of your daily TDEE, I would take anaverage and then take 15% off. Whether or not you need to do a metabolism reset is up to you and depends on just how long you've been dieting. It is generally recommended that you take a diet break (eating at TDEE) for One wk out of every 4 Weeks.So I think that's where I should start.
    The fact your hair was falling out if a sign the low calorie during was taking a serious toll on your body. If you were working out for more than 5 hrs a week you see definitely very active. Keep track of your activity minutes this week.
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member

1. A reset is recommended. Even at 3 months at VLC, your body could decide it needs more time. YOu may not need a full 8 weeks, but It doesnt hurt to reset.

2. Id say you are definitely in the moderate category, quite possibly in the very active.

3. Heavy lifting varies person to person. Essentially its lifting weights to the point you can do your set, but not be able to add one more rep into it.. So if youe set is 10 reps, you can do the 10, but the thought of trying to lift that one more is not in the cards.
    If you can easily do your reps without much struggle, then you increase your weights until you cant do that 11th one.

4. The fitbit/BFM gadgets are apparently a great way to calculate your correct TDEE. It monitors your body, your slep and your activity. You wear it for a week or so, then take the average of it all and thats your TDEE. Those are more accurate than any website. So if you have one, go by that and not scooby.
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member

Quotes reset is recommended. Even at 3 months at VLC, your body could decide it needs more time. YOu may not need a full 8 weeks, but It doesnt hurt to reset.

2. Id say you are definitely in the moderate category, quite possibly in the very active.

3. Heavy lifting varies person to person. Essentially its lifting weights to the point you can do your set, but not be able to add one more rep into it.. So if youe set is 10 reps, you can do the 10, but the thought of trying to lift that one more is not in the cards.
    If you can easily do your reps without much struggle, then you increase your weights until you cant do that 11th one.

4. The fitbit/BFM gadgets are apparently a great way to calculate your correct TDEE. It monitors your body, your slep and your activity. You wear it for a week or so, then take the average of it all and thats your TDEE. Those are more accurate than any website. So if you have one, go by that and not scooby.

This is exactly what I needed to know, thank you! And thanks everybody for your help getting me started. :)