Deadlift questions (newbie)

I have a couple of questions about how to perform a deadlift. Firstly, I understand that I need to squat to pick up the barbell, raise to standing then lower the barbell to the floor. When lowering, should I keep my legs straight or go into another squat?

Secondly, I don't have access to an Olympic barbell, just standard ones. Will they be ok to use instead?

Many thanks for humouring my very basic questions!

Replies

• baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    For the regular deadlift you squat back down. As long as you can increase the weight on the barbell you have it shouldnt matter.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Regular deadlift. You squat down (it's a partial squat, not a full one) grab the bar, then lift until it's above your knees, then thrust your hips out to finish the move (squeeze glutes at the top)... when you go back down, you reverse the motion, move your hips backwards but don't bend your knees until the bar is past them, otherwise you're gonna bump yourself and have bruises. :)
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    So... what if I can pick up the bar without bending my knees? Seems kinda ... weird ... to perform a partial sqat in that case. Just go for it, knees strait?
  • TheFunBun
    Knees straight makes it a romanian deadlift which is a different exercise focusing on your hamstrings and glutes. With the conventional deadlift, it's more full body.. low back, hips, adductors and abductors both.

It's not a full squat just because it's not.

If you can, watch Mark Rippetoe's instructions on the deadlift on youtube to see.

The best way I can think of explaining it.. is a squat is pushing up with your glutes, quads, and hamstrings (if you go low enough) You push through your heels. A deadlift is bringing your hips down and BACK and then pulling it all back into a straight line. :)
  • TheFunBun
    It's not really even -down- for the deadlift, it's mostly reaching down and pulling them back as far as you can. Pushing up through your ENTIRE foot... hard to explain. I found the good vids! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syt7A23YnpA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JYCvtNKWc8
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Bump for when I get home
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    yeah its a bit different to a squat, focus on keeping back straight and pushing bum back till you are low enough to grip the bar and then pull the bar up along your shins, one past your knees pop your hips forward and squeeze shoulder blades together, then reverse :)