How do you meet cal goals when you're not near a fridge?

Options
quie618
quie618 Posts: 102 Member
We're going away over the weekend and are going to be with a bunch of friends. We're probably going to be eating out breakfast/lunch/dinner. I'm a snacker and I always have a mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and evening snack. What are some good snack ideas that won't make it look like I'm hoarding food?? Preferably things that don't need to be refridgerated. Haha. :blushing:

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    One thing I find when I'm away from my fridge and normal eating is that it's harder for me to meet my protein goals...so protein bars are a good start if you think you'll have that problem too. Otherwise, dried fruit (carbs) and almonds(protein and good fat) are easy to pack and snack on and low sodium. One more idea would be tuna snack packs....higher sodium though, but good for protein and carbs. I'm sure plenty of others will have some awesome ideas, so I'll stop with those for now. :smile:
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I keep cliff bars on standby at all time.
  • cazsyl
    cazsyl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I always have a couple of 9 bars in my bag for situations like this - I'm not sure if they have them in your country though but I'm sure there'd be something similar.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I always have a couple of 9 bars in my bag for situations like this - I'm not sure if they have them in your country though but I'm sure there'd be something similar.

I think 9 bars is a gang around here...haha
  • ae2rigc
    ae2rigc Posts: 37
    Options
    I'm a snacker and I always have a mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and evening snack.

Me too! I also like the principal of keeping the tank topped up so keep snacks hand for between meals.

Haven't yet met a Power Bar I didn't like, Ride Peanut Caramel being fave.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I just got back from a week long vacation. I pretty much tried to eat breakfast, lunch and snacks out of my cooler and then ate what I wanted for dinner and let myself have some treat everyday when everyone else was ordering dessert, lol.
    Not the cleanest week, but...oh well. Life happens.

Here are some of the things I kept in my cooler/snack bags:
    individual servings of almonds
    cliff, kind, and pure protein bars
    turkey jerky (high in sodium I know)
    Nitrate-free lunch meat (turkey)
    apples and natural peanut butter
    greek yogurt
    protein powder
    cut up veggies packaged in snack containers
    packets of tuna
    triscuits

I also made up my own oatmeal packets with 1/2 cup oats and 1 scoop protein powder. I would add PB or almonds and a little boiling water and cover with a plate for about 5 minutes.

Hope that helps! Its totally doable, but just takes a little planning!
  • quie618
    quie618 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I just got back from a week long vacation. I pretty much tried to eat breakfast, lunch and snacks out of my cooler and then ate what I wanted for dinner and let myself have some treat everyday when everyone else was ordering dessert, lol.
    Not the cleanest week, but...oh well. Life happens.

Here are some of the things I kept in my cooler/snack bags:
    individual servings of almonds
    cliff, kind, and pure protein bars
    turkey jerky (high in sodium I know)
    Nitrate-free lunch meat (turkey)
    apples and natural peanut butter
    greek yogurt
    protein powder
    cut up veggies packaged in snack containers
    packets of tuna
    triscuits

I also made up my own oatmeal packets with 1/2 cup oats and 1 scoop protein powder. I would add PB or almonds and a little boiling water and cover with a plate for about 5 minutes.

Hope that helps! Its totally doable, but just takes a little planning!

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to pack some snack bags and I think I'll be good to go!