LIfting Heavy - Not Sore?

Options
baxgilter
baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
So I wasn't doing an actual program but lifting probably 2x a week prior to NROL4W. I always pushed myself and didn't use "barbie" weights as some put it haha. I have officially started NROL4W and am in Stage 1 workouts 4. I have yet to feel really sore the next day. Is this good or bad? I get about 1g of protein per lb of body weight if not more almost everyday. Im pretty sure my diary is open. Should I be pushing myself more? Or is not being sore good? I also go up on all my weights each workout when applicable and so I can finish most sets with the # of reps. I couldn't finish 12 reps in lat pulldowns of my second set yesterday, I got to 9. Thoughts?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Soreness is inflammation in the connective tissue, it's neither good nor bad.

The best indicator of the effectiveness of your workout is whether or not your making progress, i.e. getting stronger.
  • baxgilter
    Options

The best indicator of the effectiveness of your workout is whether or not your making progress, i.e. getting stronger.

Thanks & might I say I am super jealous of the amount of calories you eat. I suppose its necesary if your picture is actually you. Holy muscles!
  • UponThisRock
    Options

Thanks & might I say I am super jealous of the amount of calories you eat. I suppose its necesary if your picture is actually you. Holy muscles!

LOL, thanks. I'm currently gaining weight, I certainly would be eating that much if I was losing.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You're probably only going to be sore if you are introducing a new exercise to your routine. Soreness isn't really a factor of how hard you worked; it means that particular muscle group is not used to a particular movement or weight.

Kinda like a cocaine habit, it's never going to feel the same as your first time :(
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    You're probably only going to be sore if you are introducing a new exercise to your routine. Soreness isn't really a factor of how hard you worked; it means that particular muscle group is not used to a particular movement or weight.

Kinda like a cocaine habit, it's never going to feel the same as your first time :(

^^^I'm going to assume that sad face was for DOMS, rather than blow.
  • baxgilter
    Options

This has made made day, laughing outloud while kids are testing is so awesome!

Oh & what is DOMS?
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

*furiously wipes nose*

yeah man whatever
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Delayed onset muscle soreness.
  • 12by311
    Options

Great answer. So many people think they are only working if they get sore. I used to think that as well!

But it's just not always the case :)

Not even "new exercises" make me sore every time.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    OP, I think your protein intake has alot to do with the fact that you have no soreness. If i have enough protein I'm never sore, I would get all medically termed as to why, but I aint no expert. Feeding the muscles or something or other.

I have heard though that proper protein intake is key for someone healing from surgery, etc etc.
  • 12by311
    Options
    OP, I think your protein intake has alot to do with the fact that you have no soreness. If i have enough protein I'm never sore, I would get all medically termed as to why, but I aint no expert. Feeding the muscles or something or other.

I have heard though that proper protein intake is key for someone healing from surgery, etc etc.

Agreed about the protein.

And also, I think hydrating yourself properly is key as well!
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

Agreed about the protein.

And also, I think hydrating yourself properly is key as well!

Proper hydration is pretty much the foundation of being healthy :)
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    That;s really interesting

I recently started ChaLean extreme and I am always struggling to finish the exercises, so I am going as heavy as I can, and I have not been sore either. I was really surprised about it.
    I do think too, that plenty of protein in the diet is the key :)