Metabolism reset necessary or just cut TDEE?

Options
Mel2626
Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
Hi Everyone!!

I apologize in advance if this has been answered previously! But....
Is it necessary to do a metabolism reset or can I just eat the cut calories and still lose?

I've been slowly making my way up since I started in January: was at 1200 and now at 1540. If the calculators are correct, my BMR is around 1574 meaning that I'm usually eating under my BMR even if I eat all my calories for the day. The thought of possibly having to eat over 2000 calories sickens me. Yes, I know this is all part of the mental torture we've put ourselves through for years but it doesn't make it any easier knowing that!

Scooby's calculator has me at the following~

For 1-3 hrs week light exercise:
BMR- 1574
TDEE- 2164
Cut- 1731

-or-

For moderate exercise 3-5 hrs week:
BMR- 1574
TDEE- 2440
Cut- 1952

So do I HAVE to do a reset or will eating at my 20% deficit from my TDEE still have me lose weight?

Thanks! :happy:

Replies

• jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    Both ways can work - it's up to you to decide what you want to try first. If you have been eating at a VLCD for a while now (or yo-yo dieting) you may require the reset. However, you can work up to a reset by eating your cut value (we recommend tdee - 15% instead of -20% though) for a few weeks to help you get used to the calorie intake. You can also use that time to see if you require a reset. If you don't see any loss in 4 - 6 weeks, then it is likely that you need to do a reset. At that time you can raise your cals to maintenance and eat those for 8 weeks before dropping back down into your cut value.
  • Mel2626
    Options
    Thank you so much for the reply. That's exactly what I wanted to know! :happy:
  • bsinno
    bsinno Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    what is considered "a long time" for a VLCD?
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    It seems to vary with people, but in reality you can slow your metabolism within a very short time...but the less time you've been there, the easier it is to get it back up (and the less difficult the process is on you). A reset is almost always a good idea unless you are new to the diet world or only hit the low cal dieting for a week or two. Otherwise, if you've been at low cal dieting longer than that you may see great success starting with tdee cut or you might not. Depends on your body. The longer you were in deficit (or yo-yo dieting) the more likely to need the reset. My personal experience was 20 years of VLCD and Yo-yo dieting...my recovery has been hard and slow (still working it through after 9 weeks). Others who have only been at it a year or less, still may find they needed the reset, but the recovery seems to be faster and less difficult. (on average...not everyone's experience is the same of course)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    try it and see
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 calories (often below) for 3-4 years... Went right to TDEE minus a cut, no reset, and it's working really well so far. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to reset.

No harm in experimenting with one, and then trying the other if it doesn't work for you
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    Options
    always looking for answers to questions that I may or may not have.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 calories (often below) for 3-4 years... Went right to TDEE minus a cut, no reset, and it's working really well so far. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to reset.

No harm in experimenting with one, and then trying the other if it doesn't work for you

Good point. You may as well eat at maintenece for a few weeks and see what happens. The worst that could happen is that you remain at your current weight.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Good point. You may as well eat at maintenece for a few weeks and see what happens. The worst that could happen is that you remain at your current weight.

Both methods are leaps and bounds better than continuing a VLCD...
  • Mel2626
    Options

More than likely, that's what I'm going to do. However the worst part for me would actually be the interim weight gain that everyone seems to get. I realize it's basically just a temporary gain but considering I'm down about 25 lbs and barely holding, any substantial gain at this point would be a mind F@$k that I could deal without!! 1540 isn't bad and I've been trying to get used to it for a few weeks (honestly wasn't giving it my 100% the last few weeks but I'm back in control now). I can't imagine 1700/1800 would be much different. It'll take more discipline to keep from eating things I shouldn't just because they fit into my day! I'm not ready to do it just yet but I'm almost positive I'll be upping mine pretty soon, especially when I see all these ladies with amazing bodies that keep saying they EAT! I want to eat and look fantastic too!! Thanks to everyone for your help!! :smile: